Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Terrestrial Photography

Old 29-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Where has all the fun gone in photography

Has the enjoyment, pleasure, fun, call it what you want gone out of photography.

My first real camera was a Praktica Super TL, I can't remember going out without it, coming back home with my self loaded FP4 or HP4, developing it and printing it (I was not that good), I was 15 ish. I took photographs of EVERYTHING from the light in my bedroom to the whole of Frimley and Camberley walking everywhere.

I learned, not from books but doing, OK I learned the very very basics from reading the occasional Amateur Photographer but the rest like many was from doing. And this is what baffles me today.

Like learning the one thing I think I still use every day, my times tables, mental arithmetic, I wonder how the teens and even adults today would cope without a calculator, or if the power to their till went down. I bought two hot dogs at an event, 2 x £2.35 easy £4.70 gave £5 change 30p, the teenager had to use a CALCULATOR !!!!!!!!

Photography is the same.

Ask most new day photographers how they work out the hyperlocal distance, “What's that ??”

For grab shots, street photography what are the best average settings with iso 200 “125th at f8” DUH!

I instinctively KNOW exactly what my DOF will be at a given aperture for my lenses on my cameras, how, years of practice and doing.

I can't remember the last time I took my cameras off Manual mode, and as a sports photographer, when I last used continuous shooting, 99.99% of the time single frame

I have met so many I have lost count, supposed sports photographers at Donington, Brands Hatch, Silverstone etc who can't even pan !!!

To e the fun/enjoyment was the fun of learning to “do”, why f8 was different to f2, why my sports shots were better panned at 1/125th than 1/500th.

I have nothing against auto, , but if the fun has not gone out of photography, the knowledge of how, why, what has

like Astronomy and new telescopes, full automation in photography and astronomy has opened up a world to people who would not have previously participated, it is just a shame that so much pleasure is being lost by not trying things out.

Just MY personal thoughts
Old 29-08-2019, 07:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Technology evolves and makes it simpler for more users to do complicated tasks faster. We use tools. What matters is the end result and what can be achieved nowadays. That's the fun part.
Old 30-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

I loved the Praktica Super TL, and my old Werra V. I have always veered toward manual cameras and spent the big dollars for a Nikon FM over the FE, and a Nikon FP3 HP (that was nice! Having a big viewfinder as a glasses wear. So good.) My compact is the Leica D-Lux/Lumix LX100 that is laid out like an old style camera with manual controls, and you need to go to the menu for all the scene settings. It's a beautiful camera. (My dSLR is the Canon EOS70D)

I still think in terms of Aperture and Shutter speed. I do use Aperture Preferred at times, but mostly a scene doesn't change much, so you can set the camera and go. At most you may need to do a quick adjustment of one or the other, or do a +/- adjust.

Although I share some of the results online, it's a hobby that I do for my own enjoyment and that involves making my own exposure decisions and developing in software. I love digital photography because I don't need a chemistry setup and darkroom any more. But, having backup is important, because there are no negatives to go back to.

Trev
Old 30-08-2019, 02:43 PM
leon

I know what your saying Jeremey, I to used film Cameras and developed and printed in my own dark room.
I was time consuming indeed but exciting at what to expect as one saw their image appear on the paper in the developing tank.
However times move on and I also have turned to the dark side however still have all my stuff from that time.

Leon
Old 30-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I suppose on an Astronomy level, I equate it with someone who has never looked through a scope buying an all singing all dancing scope, set up press a button and look.

Whilst I never understood setting circles or polar aligning (I never got it 100%) I 100% enjoy manual Dob scopes, locating the things and learning to the best of my ability (low ) where things are