Old 18-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Carl

canon6D RAW files wont open in CS5

This sucks.
Any suggestions without robbing a bank how to process RAW files via camera RAW prior to CS5 processing.

Carl
Old 19-10-2013, 07:29 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Canon offers utility software to help with this - Digital Photo Professional. You should be able to get tiffs out of the RAWs and get those into CS5.

I am finding that the various cameras and their RAW formats are becoming annoying to deal with - it would be preferable to be able to at least read them like other image files.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:53 AM
acropolite (Phil)

The inability of older version ACR plugins to read the latest camera raw formats is simply another of Adobe's techniques to gouge money from users for upgrades. Adobe keep the plugins updated so there's no reason that they couldn't include later version cameras in their ACR plugins.

DPP is a very good piece of software, underrated and usually unutilised, it can do a lot more than simply convert files and IMO DPP does a much better job of raw conversion than ACR.

FWIW I battled with my Epson printer and PS trying to get consistent prints, I was never able to get PS to print consistently from one session to the next, problems with colour balance, brightness and contrast issues, you name it. i wasn't the only one to have those problems, the net was littered with reports of users with the same issues.

DPP on the other hand had no such problems and prints my images as I would expect.
Old 19-10-2013, 07:55 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Have you tried UFRaw? http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
Or DCRaw if you want something for Linux. http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/
Old 19-10-2013, 08:20 AM
DJDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Canon offers utility software to help with this - Digital Photo Professional. You should be able to get tiffs out of the RAWs and get those into CS5.

I am finding that the various cameras and their RAW formats are becoming annoying to deal with - it would be preferable to be able to at least read them like other image files.

What about converting to DNG format? Adobe has the converter for your camera (v8.2), i think.

I assume CS5 and earlier Lightroom can open DNG files and process them?

i am annoyed by this whole thing- I am thinking of getting a 650D/700D but now see i will have to fiddle around to open them in CS5.
Old 19-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Don't start me on my rants about using the native converter which comes with your camera over other generic ones!

DPP rules.

H
Old 19-10-2013, 08:30 AM
DJDD

Can DPP save the RAW files in older formats? for instance, convert the RAW from a 700D to the RAW format of a 600D?

at least I could use CS5 natively then, without mucking about with DNG files, etc.
Old 19-10-2013, 11:06 AM
bojan
amateur

I do ALL my post processing in DPP.
No need for Adobe at all.
Old 19-10-2013, 03:21 PM
gregbradley

I recently got Photo Ninja for my Fuji as it is currently the best converter for that brand. I have read its a good converter for other brands as well. It didn't cost much and has a suite of other features like Lightroom.

The other converter which is popular other than Lightroom is Capture 1 by Phase. I used a trial of that for a while. It seemed pretty good as well.

DPP which is free often gets good raps as well. Humi is a huge fan of it as are others.

Greg.
Old 19-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Carl

Thanks all for your comments
Went on the Adobe users site and downloaded DNG converter 7.3 for windows.
Just tested it out a few minutes ago and works perfectly, same file size and there doesn't appear to be any loss of quality. was able to open converted file in camera RAW with no problems.
Regards
Carl