Old 17-05-2010, 03:46 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Anyone using a 50D

Hi

Just wondering if anyone here is Canon 50D?.These are fairly new
and I am just wondering what they are like.They appear to have lower
noise than older models.

Also has anyone here used a un-mod for astronomy photography?

I asked a question about 40d's on another thread,and a member told me the newer 50D was'nt much dearer than a second hand 40D,so seems like a good option to purchase a 50D instead.

thanks for any information from users of the 50D

Chris
Old 17-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Hi Chris!

Did you say Canon 50D? That would be me! Still learning on how to use this baby for astronomy, the LIVE VIEW screen is awesome in my opinion and really helps with the focusing (higher res over 40D). DPreview site has a good head to head with canon 40D but for me it was a logical choice.

Its been good learning curve so far and it fits well with my setup i.e. using DSLR remote pro/Camera control pro 2 and the astronomik clip filter. I took my first multiple exposure photo and am posting them for you. Its my first real attempt and there are so many things I need to learn but hopefully it gives you an idea.

Take Care
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Autosave.jpg)
188.0 KB41 views

Last edited by Manav; 17-05-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 18-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Tilt (Michael)

Be careful with the 50D's, I bought one new and it had a problem with the sensor that was only showing up during long exposures (astro imaging). I took the issue up with Canon Aust twice an they refused to admit it was a problem, therefore no warranty repair Essentially they left me high and dry, they were also suggesting that I should stop using the camera for astro as it wasn't designed for that application. However, on the upshot it was fine for daytime terrestrial photography.

Interestingly I got my hands on a second 50D body and it's perfectly fine for astro imaging, no problems.. So it just goes to show that I was right when I was originally trying to get Canon to see the problem with the first one.
Old 18-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Hi Michael - What was the issue?
Old 18-05-2010, 09:32 AM
mch62 (Mark)

I HAD A 50D AND NO ISSUES AND HAVE SINCE GOT THE 7D NO PROBLEMS WITH LONG EXPOSURE.
AS FAR AS CANON SAYING IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR ASTRO WORK ,THE CAMERA IS DESIGNED WITH A BULB FUNCTION AND NOISE REDUCTION FOR LONG EXPOSURE AS WELL AS CANON SOFTWARE TO PERFORM THESE FUNCTIONS HOW DOES IT MATTER IF YOU ARE USING IT IN THE DAY OR NIGHT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I WOULD BE GOING FURTHER WITH THIS WARRENTY ISSUE.
HAS IT BEEN MODIFIED--I.E. FILTER REMOVED ,THEN KISS YOUR WARRENTY GOOD BUY.
MARK
Old 18-05-2010, 04:58 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re 50D

Thanks Fellow Photographers for you input,Great image Yugant-well done,I really like the colours.

I rang 'Cameras Direct' on the Gold Coast,and spoke to one of the sales people there,and mentioned I did want to use it for the occasional astro photo,the chap said they had one person who bought that model body and used it for astro photo,and they got a light band in photo,he took it back and they replaced it,the replacement did'nt have that problem.

Cant understand why they did'nt replace the body that had a similar problem to one of the fellows who mentioned it in this thread,Just goes to show different retail outlets have a different approach to customers .

If I end up getting one,I will test it out in astro photography when I get it.

Had a look on other threads,sounds like very little different to 40D,just sounds better to buy a new body,for a few extra hundred dollars.

The biggest advantage I can see,it will be easier to hold than 450D and L lenses will balance better,the picture quality sounds like it will be about thye same as 450D.

Thanks for advice,cheers Chris
Old 18-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Yugant, you may remember the thread from a while ago here.

Essentially I was getting a vertical band in the image that was rather annoying, I tried a whole load of things to see if I could solve it, but I never found a solution. At the end of the day it was a defective sensor, I pleaded with Canon to assist (warranty repair), however they didn't come to the party which was a shame.

Michael
Old 18-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
I rang 'Cameras Direct' on the Gold Coast,and spoke to one of the sales people there,and mentioned I did want to use it for the occasional astro photo,the chap said they had one person who bought that model body and used it for astro photo,and they got a light band in photo,he took it back and they replaced it,the replacement did'nt have that problem.
Small world Chris

What happened is they (the supplier) offered me a 'refurbished' camera, not a new one. Originally I didn't want anything other than a brand spanking new 50D, but they were not obliged to offer me that as an outcome. After the whole hoo-ha of going back and forth with Canon Aust, I was just tired and fed up with the whole thing, so I accepted the refurbished 50D and moved on with life. I got to hand it to the supplier, they handled the whole thing very well, I was even enjoying a walk around Lake Tahoe in USA when they gave me a call from Australia to update me with every piece of new information they were receiving from Canon. Great service!

Michael

Last edited by Tilt; 18-05-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 18-05-2010, 06:44 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re 50D

Hi Michael

Yes,that problem you had sound exactly the same as the body taken back 'Cameras Direct',when the chap I was speaking said he saw it,he replaced it with a brand new one.The new did not have the problem.

This brings up a very interesting example of "Genuine Canon warranty" vrs grey importers.I am fairly certain 'Cameras Direct' is a grey importer,please correct me if I am wrong.The place where Michael got his from sounds like a canon outlet,I have heard similar stories from around the world where such an example as michael had from a 'genuine canon outlet',that they turn their back on you if you have a problem.And people say you should'nt buy from a grey importer!Makes you think

cheers Chris
Old 18-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

Hi Michael: Small world - I got my canon50D from Cameras Direct as well! They have been quite helpful with several queries Ive had since my purchase. I also noted that I had posted on your original thread hopefully you are having a good time with your DSLR now.

Chris: Let us know of your eventual decision and good luck!
Old 18-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Tilt (Michael)

Yugant - yes, my first 50D was no good. It was just a very unfortunate situation that I was in, it was very difficult to convince Canon that I had a problem with the camera. Now I'm not sure what kind of testing Canon did? Who knows? Could have been anything. What ever hoops they were putting my original 50D through, apparently the sensor passed with flying colours (no pun). I disagreed with them, but it got me no where.

This second 50D is fine, you should have seen me when I saw the first 5min sub come down to the laptop, the image was clean and clear. I was like a mad scientist! I just wanted to ring Canon up right there and say "I told you, I was right!"

Michael
Old 21-05-2010, 11:27 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re 50D

Went to order 50D this morning,was looking forward to getting it,but got a shock,I rang up for a price three days ago,it was $1089,this morning that quoted me a dearer price,gone up nearly $80,so will wait till dollar stronger again,or a good second hand 40D comes along.