Old 20-07-2010, 11:47 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Sxv-ao-lf

Well my new toy arrived today. I got a brand new Starlight Xpress large format adaptive optics unit with all the bells and wistles.

Now I have to figure out how to use it. I had the SX-lodestar prior as it doesn't come standard with the unit but you do get the OAG block. It also comes with a variety of collars/adapters for various cameras and scopes. Good combination to pretty much fit anything to anything.

The entrance pupil is 80mm so plenty of room for big sensors. My QHY8 CCD looks like a flea on an elephant butt but hey, there's potential to grow.

What I like about it is that there is a 2" threaded recess for filters behinfd the guider so I can stick my NB filters there.

It's quite thin too so plenty of back focus left too for a filter wheel or correctors before. Amazingly light too which is a plus.

As you can see from the quick pics it just fits on my scope between the fans, focuser and locking bolts. Talk about lucky. And it's still thin enough so I can fit my field corrector before the unit and have the recommended distance to the CCD. Twice lucky

Unfortunately I can't use it yet as I need to figure out if I can plug the AO directly into my old gemini box autoguider port. With the QHY5 and PHD I had to use a GPUSB adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SXV-AO-LF_sf.jpg)
191.9 KB316 views
Old 20-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Marc

That looks live a very impressive set up. I see that the C-11 has undergone some quite significant modifications with the cooling fan and mirror lock bolts!

Look forward to seeing some nice 1st light images when you have sorted out the plethora of electrical and mechanical interfaces.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 26-07-2010, 11:10 AM
terrynz (Terence)
Terry_wlg_NZ

Marc awesome set up similar to my own, but I need to upgrade the Orion AG to the lodestar.

I really like the mirror locks on the C11. Do you have a link on how to complete this?
Old 28-07-2010, 04:19 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Marc im pretty sure that the load star can go directly into the st4 port on the gemini and the usb gives you the view, I know that is how Grahame did it on his. But i think he now uses maximdl to do everything for him including AO. give him a bell im sure you can garner some information
Old 28-07-2010, 05:23 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Marc

That looks live a very impressive set up. I see that the C-11 has undergone some quite significant modifications with the cooling fan and mirror lock bolts!

Look forward to seeing some nice 1st light images when you have sorted out the plethora of electrical and mechanical interfaces.

Cheers

Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynz View Post
Marc awesome set up similar to my own, but I need to upgrade the Orion AG to the lodestar.

I really like the mirror locks on the C11. Do you have a link on how to complete this?
Thanks guys. I did all this a while ago. Can't remember the link but it should be somewhere on these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
Marc im pretty sure that the load star can go directly into the st4 port on the gemini and the usb gives you the view, I know that is how Grahame did it on his. But i think he now uses maximdl to do everything for him including AO. give him a bell im sure you can garner some information
Yeah but I have an older gemini box (square plugs) and the voltage and order of the pins is different? Just want to make sure.
Old 30-07-2010, 12:48 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

bugger on that Im sure you will figure a way out good luck
Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
bugger on that Im sure you will figure a way out good luck
I had it all setup last night but I didn't managed to focus the guider to find a guide star . So I ended up imaging through it but without it. I have to do a focus test in daylight and find the right distance.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)

I ended up making Grahame a special adapter for the guider because it didn't have enough back focus, and for the qhy9 filter wheel to the A0.

I always hate it when you get out into the field just to find out something is amiss and you get done over my word for it is Pooballs! its not pleasant and it stinks then you have to clean it up!