Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Home Position Skywatcher 12” Goto Dob

I set up my Skywatcher 12”goto with the scope pointed true south and level ( manual says point it north ) then do a 2 Star alignment ok and then start selecting objects and observing. Tracking is good and goto is very accurate. When I’m finished my session and select “ park scope” the scope ends up pointing north and level ?
Any ideas why is doesn’t park level facing south at its starting position ?
I tried the home position with scope pointing north as per the manual and scope doesn’t know where it is, ends up pointing to the ground or anywhere
Any advice / comments appreciated
Cheers
Old 08-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Does anyone own a recent model Skywatcher Goto Dob who could shed some light on the north / south Home position issue ??
It’s working perfectly for me but for the life of me why does it return to home position facing north rather than its original set up position facing south ?
I always select option 2 ( start from park position - No ) As the Scope is not a permanent set up
My HEQ5 Pro always parks in its starting position when I select option 2 - No
I know the HEQ5 is an EQ and the Goto Dob is Az Alt but Home should Home position from its starting point in the session
Cheers
Old 08-01-2019, 05:23 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I bought a 10" one for my son, I set it up level and north and it has always behaved itself.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:18 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Hi Martin

I have an Orion 12” GOTO which is basically the same as yours. Being an alt az mount it doesn’t need to be pointing South, it really should be pointing North and that is why when it parks it parks pointing North. Mine is so accurate I don’t even bother being to fussy and pretty much plonk it down pointing somewhere North. Do a 2 star alignment and if the GOTO start getting out of the field just do a sync on a bright star or planet near where you’re observing. Then slew to the object you’re looking for.

It is for these reasons I really enjoy my Orion GOTO dob not that the weather has obliged much in recent times. I haven’t looked through mine in months.

Wayne
Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Wayne,
Thanks for the advice
I’ll try pointing north next time I’m out again
I have a line on the ground which is celestial true north / south so I position the base over the centre of this line with the OTA lined up and centred north / south. I use a plumb bob to centre align the ends of the OTA
Also I have 2 adjustable feet which I use to level the base and OTA as my location has a slight slope
I select a 2 Star alignment as I have an Orion illuminated reticle 9 x 50 finderscope which is great
My goto to date has been spot on ( only a tweak or two required to centre the object )
Cheers
Old 09-01-2019, 05:25 AM
Malcolm

I have never used home/park position with my GOTO dob. Only required for an EQ mount. Three leveling feet fitted to the base with three bubble levels glued to the outside of the base and one circular level in front of the motor. I start a two star alignment from whatever position it is in and shut down without parking. Makes no difference to alignment at all. SkyWatcher btw using Synscan WiFi, Synscan app and SkySafari Pro 6. The app has GPS which tells the scope where it is and the time including a DST offset. The Synscan app does not have a park function, whereas the Synscan Pro app, which is used for EQ mounts, does have that function. The app has a Point and Track function, so when aligned on a target, selecting Point and Track locks the scope to the target. SS6 has similar, an Align on target function if it's a little off which is not often anyway if the mount is leveled properly to start with. Getting rid of the handset was the best thing ever.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks all
I have noticed that good levelling is the key to good alignment. If your level is out just a bit your goto is off target
It’s been cloudy with showers for 3 days and looks like Saturday night might be ok to set up the 12” again
Cheers
Old 14-01-2019, 07:23 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Set up on Saturday night again
Pointed scope to celestial north and levelled base
Powered up scope
Set all data in handcontroller but this time pressed 1 start from “home position”
Selected 2 Star alignment
Slewed to 1st star Canopus with HC , centred and enter
Selected 2nd star Rigel and scope auto slewed to it pretty close , centred and enter , alignment successful
Selected M42 , scope slewed to it and bang on target , right in the middle of my 21mm Ethos eye piece, left it for half an hour , tracking was excellent, still reasonably centred
Viewed a few other objects for an hour or so
Selected park scope home
Scope returned to exact home position
Powered off
Issue sorted , everything worked perfectly
Extremely happy with this scope !!!
Cheers
Old 14-01-2019, 01:50 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The only time I think pointing north with my son's scope really matters is if you are being lazy. You can skip the alignment and it will assume it is level and north and go from there and still do reasonably OK goto moves and track OK. not as well as if you align it properly but good if you just want to be up and running immediately, or want to check out the moon in daylight or similar where you won't be able to see any alignment stars.
Old 14-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Paul
I’m a bit old school , go by the manual , do it once do it right , don’t take short cuts etc..
For AP I still use the Synscan handcontroller on my HEQ5 mount to polar align but use BYEOS to view my Star centering in the reticle, gets me below 1 arc minute error most of the time then PHD2 takes over
Great scope the 12” goto, it took me 8 months to make up my mind but I’m glad I bought it. I use to have a 10” solid tube dob ( push, pull , nudge ) hard work but it taught me the night sky quickly before relying on a planetarium
You must have really good dark skies around your town
Cheers
Old 14-01-2019, 08:50 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I live about 6KM from the edge of town which has about 9000 people, with most of the population centered on the far side from me so it is reasonably dark here yes.