Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

A promotion

Hi all,

It has been over six months since I had a chance to set up my telescope for imaging. Moved houses, new job, long rain season. But last night, I finally managed to unpack everything and, surprise surprise, successfully re-connect the 1000 bits... Not totally unexpectedly, after a crystal clear dry day clouds rolled in as soon as I stared imaging.

Never mind, I'm glad to report everything worked nicely and that I will finally be able to try imaging some galaxies, as the skies in here are significantly darker than what we had to deal with in Milton&Paddington in Brisvegas or Rockdale in Sidni.

I only managed three 5-minute Lum subs, but there is already more detail than what I had in a 50-minute stack of the same target from nearly four years ago. The old data was acquired with an ED doublet (also 4"), so stars are not as nice as in the recent image, but nonetheless the difference in magnitudes of sky glow is astounding. I have not even used flats for the new Lum data - something that was essential in the city and often a struggle to remove all artefacts.

I am very excited to finally have received a long awaited promotion from a balcony/inner-city courtyard imager to a country town backyard amateur astrophotographer

I look forward to once again contributing to our dso section on IIS

A link to higher res: https://www.astrobin.com/full/345301/0/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpeg)
191.2 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
121.3 KB64 views
Old 06-05-2018, 09:42 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Nicely done and a good comparison.

I'm in the process of doing similar steps to you - getting out of Brisbane and to a darker location. Of course, it means a massive disruption for a while to doing any imaging, but hopefully I'll get through it all like you have.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Suavi
I am happy it all worked when you assembled it all again.
I seem to experience the opposite with things like the new solar panel not working....
Great start to taking up gathering photons again particularly after the lay off and so many things happening in your life.
Alex
Old 06-05-2018, 02:15 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks great, Suavi. Congrats
Old 06-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Goes deeper and the stars a much nicer on your CFF too
Old 06-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Nicely done and a good comparison.

I'm in the process of doing similar steps to you - getting out of Brisbane and to a darker location. Of course, it means a massive disruption for a while to doing any imaging, but hopefully I'll get through it all like you have.
Go for it Chris. IMO it's totally worth it. Better life style (to me anyway) and better skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Suavi
I am happy it all worked when you assembled it all again.
I seem to experience the opposite with things like the new solar panel not working....
Great start to taking up gathering photons again particularly after the lay off and so many things happening in your life.
Alex
Thank you Alex. Hopefully you will get a replacement free of charge. Life sometimes does get in the way of important things, like astro for example

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks great, Suavi. Congrats
Thank you Rick. I'm hoping to soon expand my astro experience to LRGB imaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Goes deeper and the stars a much nicer on your CFF too
Thanks Colin. The ED doublet was awesome for narrowband, but it wasn't equally great for LRGB, to my eye anyway. I'm really hoping to start using my CFF more regularly.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Well done on the move Suavi, you won't know yourself. And your skies! Welcome to the country club! It's fantastic and a real breath of fresh air eh?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thanks Simon. Yes, air is fantastic and the skies are dark. More cloudy during the wet but winter should be awesome for astro. Forecast for the next weekend looks very promising already