Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Sync function not working properly on StellariumScope

I’ve noticed during the last 2 nights imaging sessions that the sync function ( CTRL -3 ) on Stellarium Scope is playing up in Stellarium. I slew to the first star ok using CTRL -1 , Centre it with the control pad , hit CTRL-3 and it self aligns and records a sync point. Then I slew to the second star, centre it using control pad then hit CTRL-3 and nothing happens
The programme has been working flawlessly for months
I checked all settings in StellariumScope and looks ok
Any ideas ??
Maybe a reinstall ??
Any advice most appreciated
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Problem solved !
You have to minimise StellariumScope and the EQMOD control pad and just have Stellarium open to enable the sync function
It’s a bit fiddly as you are minimising the EQMOD window and BYEOS window often but I find the sync function very accurate for goto pointing. As long as you have at least a mag 3.5 Star near your target you can be sure your scope will be bang on dead centre ready for imaging.

Does anybody else use EQMOD and Stellarium scope for goto ?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Used to use them on my goto dobs - very accurate when working, but I found stellariumscope a bit temperamental to set up. (or I was a doofus, which is more likely). Have since moved to the Skywatcher Synscan app and wifi adapter through a tablet.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:21 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Martin, I’m using this combination but I added Astrotortilla for platesolving. Now I only use Stellarium to select the target and after it has moved the scope I do a platesolve, which is always very accurate, even if it has to do an iteration. I would recommend this to you as it does not rely on anything else other than the stars your camera images. Especially very dim targets were hard for as it wasn’t always clear whether the scope is actually centred on the object - so long exposures were required to confirm. Now it’s all automatic and Astrotortilla automatically syncs Stellarium after each platesolve. I’m really surprised how great this works and glad it can be had for free. Great tools.

Cheers
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Max
I’m happy where I’m at at the moment but plate solving is on my to do list sometime next year

Cheers