ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-12-2014, 05:04 PM
leon

I Pad uses 100mg a Minute, what is going on ??

Hi Guys, I will try and make this as clear and short as possible
Alice, my wife has an I Pad, which she just dosn't turn on anymore as it uses 100MG a minute when she turns on the WIFI although she is not actually doing anything with it, she just has to turn it on and away it goes.

We use a Telstra 4G network hotspot for our other computers and it is fine depending on what one is doing, and uses data accordingly.

However if she turns on the IPad it just takes off, and we can watch the counter tick over at incredible speed, yes at least 100 MG a minute, then she turns it off and all stops and goes back to normal.

So what is happening here, we are stumped, maybe someone here might come up with a suggestions.

Could someone else be using the data when she turns it on.

Thanks in advance.

Leon
Old 13-12-2014, 05:31 PM
silv (Annette)

that's an IOS software update which kicks in as download as soon as there's a power source (I think) and a Wifi connection.

I don't think you can disable this automatic download in IOS.

however, if you don't want to update to the latest, coolest, slowest, most annoying IOS,
you could dis-allow the Apple software update website in your router so that iPad can't call home even if it wants to.
Old 13-12-2014, 05:40 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Another vote here for the OS being updated. IOS 8 is apparently a ~1.9GB download.
Old 13-12-2014, 05:47 PM
leon

Many thanks guys, so do i go to settings of the router and disable it there, I am not really clever with this stuff, so please be kind.

Leon
Old 13-12-2014, 05:52 PM
silv (Annette)

oh, but I do know you being clever in this stuff....!

you can google this automatic IOS update eating away people's data allowance and you'll find forums posts which state the specific website to be disallowed in your router.

and then you google your router model and how to disallow a website in it's software
Old 13-12-2014, 05:55 PM
silv (Annette)

oh, and don't forget to give feedback on this annoying and expensive IOS feature.
here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/
Old 13-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

I think your best to let the update happen, even if the update is a cock up (often) and leads to more updates. If you dont, apple with hurt you in multiple ways and bother you forever until you do. Watch for endless wifi router hangs/resets too, plauged me for months until I found on the interweb forums that apple is infamous for crap wifi handling, and has been for years.
Old 13-12-2014, 07:25 PM
leon

Hmmm, now i am really confused, OK, I will have to look into this a bit more, thank you for your help.

Leon
Old 13-12-2014, 10:31 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

You could take the iPad somewhere with free wifi and use their bandwidth. Just don't do anything that requires security while you're there.

We've got 3 iDevices and they all take different versions of iOS, so that's about 5GB if they all decide to update.
Old 13-12-2014, 11:50 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Its just the end result of more and more bloatware provided for your convenience ( or theirs :-) ).
Whatever happened to simple software????
ie in 1986, we built the first LNG train of the the north west shelf gas plant using a 6 Mhz 386 server ( yep Mhz vs Ghz ) cpu running novelle networking inside its 640k RAM and only a 100 MB hard disk.
That covered all the material and labour control, as well as warehousing????
You cant even load an operating system into 100MB these days?????
Why not????
Andrew
Old 14-12-2014, 08:27 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I refuse to update my iPad Air, still has 7.1.1 loaded, the latest effort 8.2.1 is downloaded but I've elected to not install the update.

My reasoning is simple, successive updates on my original iPad 1 made the device progressively more dysfunctional, so I'm avoiding update.

Why apple thinks it has the right to download a multi gigabyte update "in the background" without the ability to turn off the download escapes me.

Apple tragics will tell you there are no problems with updates and that there are never any problems with any things Apple, in reality, variations in hardware mean that not everyone has trouble but many do.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:28 AM
leon

Thanks guys, I did think about going to Macca's for a happy meal.

Leon
Old 14-12-2014, 10:01 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
oh, but I do know you being clever in this stuff....!
I'll give Leon the benefit of the doubt and state he knows himself better than anyone here...

Leon:

For reference, you may want to view the following website: http://ios8tips.com/how-to-prevent-a...date-to-ios-8/

Basic article on what you are trying to accomplsh. Apple has one (not two) servers that iOS devices download from (mesu.apple.com), but if you enter both, who cares

For those interested in the delivery mechaism (http://mesu.apple.com/assets/com_app...wareUpdate.xml)

If you still can't figure it out for your router, give me your router details in a PM and I'll see if I can help you out...
OIC!
Old 14-12-2014, 01:16 PM
leon

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Leon
Old 15-12-2014, 12:54 AM
jamiep (Jamie)

Leon,

check the outbox of your emails - it happens frequently with our reps at work - they send a message larger than the outbound limit, and it just sits there chewing up bandwidth....

Common cause of excess data usage claims ....

Jamie
Old 15-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Kev11 (Kevin)

Totally agree, Andrew. In the late 1960s we were taught efficient programming by the CSIRO Division of Computing Research (long gone) and continued that through the early desktops and on to our own networked mini in the early 1980s. It seems to me that around about then software development, in terms of functionality, stopped in favour of bells and whistles. I think the gaming industry has a lot to do with it, demanding ever-faster hardware, ever-higher resolution graphics and mind-boggling Internet speeds, which have allowed lazy software providers to simply make cosmetic changes and slug their customers for endless “upgrades”. After being downsized from CSIRO I spent some years in public accounting and it infuriated me to see struggling small businesses paying out thousands of dollars a year to “maintain” their accounting software. Double-entry book keeping was invented in the 16th Century and the fundamentals have never been improved upon!
Cheers...................Kevin
Old 20-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Hoges (John)

Hi Leon,

Go into 'settings' on your ipad, scroll down to and select 'Itunes & app store' and then on the right hand side you'll see an option to select automatic downloads for Music, Apps, Books and Updates - make sure they're all 'off'. That should stop the auto downloading. (At least that's how it's organized in ios 7.1)
John
Old 20-12-2014, 07:59 PM
leon

Thanks John will have a look at that.

Leon