Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Danack (Dan Ackroyd)

UV long sleeved gloves - for men

Can anyone recommend where to buy full-fingered long sleeve lightweight gloves to block UV?

I've been doing a lot of driving recently and the tans on my hands and forearms is 'great' but I'd prefer to not have that much UV hitting them constantly.

I can see some golf places sell fingerless ones (but I like my fingers), and there seem to be some places in China that will sell me 5000 pairs for only $2 each, but I can't see any places in Australia that sell any.

cheers
Dan
Old 08-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Kunama

I find that white long sleeve shirts and sunscreen are the go when driving !

I used to commute by car between Sunshine Coast and Canberra ... 1400klms in 14 hrs each way every 3 weeks.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Here in WA I would recommend the Cancer Council for stuff like that. Do have them over there? Or something similar?
Aha: have a look at this

Also try camping/outdoor stores. I got some fingerless gloves that only cover the back of the hand at the local army surplus-cum-outdoor activity store.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Hi Dan

I've been looking into this recently too. Due to a medical condition, I now have to be fairly meticulous about staying out of the sun, particularly my hands (and face). Apart from welding gloves (!), the only solution I have found is sunscreen and sleeves. Sunscreen can be a hassle but there are some very good clear zinc blockouts now which cover UV and visible light, and leave little residue. Anyway, you've probably thought of all this so will be interested to hear of what others say.

Andrew
Old 08-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Astro_Bot

I've seen taxi drivers with long sleeved shirts and white cotton gloves for that reason. Don't know where they get the gloves, though.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Danack (Dan Ackroyd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I find that white long sleeve shirts and sunscreen are the go when driving !
Yeah - but my steering wheel is already getting quite coated in sunscreen.

And even if I carefully cover my hands with heavy duty sunscreen, if I'm driving north then my hands are exposed and in the sun almost the whole time I'm driving. Even with heavy sunscreen, having my hands in the sun for four hours a day is far too much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
I've seen taxi drivers with long sleeved shirts and white cotton gloves for that reason. Don't know where they get the gloves, though.
I guess some snooker or pool referee gloves would do...failing that I'll try and find a doorman at a fancy hotel wearing them and find out where they get their's from.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I buy cotton gloves at Coles for something like $2 for 2 pairs. I use them for holding optics while I clean them.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Danack (Dan Ackroyd)

I found a pair of ladies gloves made in Korea in Paddy's market in Sydney.

'Luckily' my hands are the same size as a Korean ladies so they fit perfectly!

I'm guessing that most places that has lots of Asian people will be a good place to find them, as I have seen quite a few Asian people wearing them to protect their hands.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Wouldn't the car windows filter out most of the harmful UV? Glass tends to have poor UV transmission and certainly stops my "Transitions" lenses from darkening.

Or are you driving a cabriolet?

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Danack (Dan Ackroyd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Wouldn't the car windows filter out most of the harmful UV?
Searching on the internet (so it MUST be correct :-)
http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog...rough-windows/

Quote:
Normal glass blocks all of UVB but allows UVA to come through. Both of these rays are harmful. Remember:

UVB

UVB is considered the main sunburn ray
It causes skin cancer and sun damage
The SPF in a sunscreen tells you how well the product protects you from UVB

UVA

Is the UV ray in tanning beds
It penetrates the skin more deeply than UVB playing a big role in sun damage including wrinkles.
It can cause skin cancer
This is similar to what I'm seeing. My hands are not showing signs of 'burn' i.e. becoming sore and red for days after, but instead they look like I've put them under a heat lamp, with the skin being incredibly dried out, scaly and generally looking like they've aged 15 years after two days of driving.

Anyways, it not just driving that I need to cover my hands and arms. I do a lot of wildlife photography and plentiful suntan lotion and expensive cameras are a not fantastic combination.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Barrykgerdes

If you are fair skinned and have a family history of skin problems including cancers keep your skin covered and use sunscreens. Wear gloves if you must but the hindrance may be worse than any potential sun damage. Watchout for the other problem of vitamin D deficiency.

If you have darker skin and tan rather than burn don't bother to cover yourself any more than to stop sunburn. I belong to a family that have all lived into their 90's exposed to the Australian sun and I can't remember any of them suffering from skin cancers. At 78 my forearms are starting to show wrinkles but no other problems. I have never covered my hands and fore arms against the sun or used sunscreen (I do to keep out the cold). However I will admit to keeping the rest of my body covered in the sun after suffering from severe sunburn as a young lad at the beach.

Barry
Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Wavytone

Gloves:

http://www.showoffstudios.com/page/s...roductID=1975&

The soft white cotton ones are often sold in places like Eckersleys (art & craft suppliers) for handling fine artworks or photographs without leaving fingerprints. Much cooler than leather in summer, however the white cotton will let a lot of UV through.

I wear a black balaclava and synthetic gloves for paragliding - for UV protection on long flights - after a bit of hunting around I found them in a ski shop in Kent St, Sydney. I have two sets - a thin set for summer made from a knitted polyester which is light enough to be tolerable in summer, and another thick set for winter.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danack View Post
This is similar to what I'm seeing. My hands are not showing signs of 'burn' i.e. becoming sore and red for days after, but instead they look like I've put them under a heat lamp, with the skin being incredibly dried out, scaly and generally looking like they've aged 15 years after two days of driving.
Interesting, I shall look out for that in the future.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM
jakob

I use these when handling negatives etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0573.JPG)
169.7 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0574.jpg)
93.4 KB11 views
Old 11-01-2013, 06:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Coles. Ansell 100% Cotton Gloves. 2 pairs, one size. $2
Old 13-01-2013, 12:55 AM
naskies (Dave)

What about a nice pair of stylish driving gloves, plus an oversized long sleeved shirt? Maybe a pair of aviator / driving sunnies too