Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 22-03-2021, 08:37 AM
denodan (Dennis)

Anyone ditched the SE or Evo mount for SW AZ-EQ6?

Anyone ditched the SE or Evolution mount for the Skywatchet AZ EQ6? in alt alz mode this is how celestron should have designed their mount. Out to the side means no hitting mount as some like to do EAA with camera stick out the back.

The issue with the se and evo series is that camea limits the usefulness if the mount and camera hits the mount unless using a diagonal.

The Skywatcher does not have this issue.

Also great duel purpose mount, either EQ for imaging or alt alz mount for visual, so like doing both ideal. Also as it has higher quality motors and better tracking system should track better
Old 24-03-2021, 08:39 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I came from a CPC mount, but I did exactly this. I deforked my CPC925 to make it a C925 and put it on the Orion version of the AZEQ6. The on axis encoders are accurate enough for visual work to allow manual pointing (At the time my main justification for buying it was to use in Alt-Az mode and be able to manually point) and while the balance procedure is a bit tricky, it works well as an AP mount in EQ mode, with the encoders off.
Old 29-03-2021, 05:19 PM
denodan (Dennis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I came from a CPC mount, but I did exactly this. I deforked my CPC925 to make it a C925 and put it on the Orion version of the AZEQ6. The on axis encoders are accurate enough for visual work to allow manual pointing (At the time my main justification for buying it was to use in Alt-Az mode and be able to manually point) and while the balance procedure is a bit tricky, it works well as an AP mount in EQ mode, with the encoders off.

For me cannot justify spending an extra $1000 for just manually being able to locate objects and not lose alighment and the few other things.

I allready have an alt alz mount for my EVO 9.25, so why buy a mount with alt alz ability when I have an alt alz. Saving a $1000.

If I want to do visual astronomy just use my evo mount, if I want to image use the EQ6 R PRO which I will be getting. I was going to get the AZ EQ6, but changed my mind due to cost a lot more and hear the clutch system on the AZ EQ6 is not the best