Old 06-11-2020, 07:17 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

ASCOM V6.5 issue

Just received this email from Peter Simpson, ASCOM...
Hi all,

We have just posted a release candidate for ASCOM Platform 6.5 Service Pack 1: https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/A...tform/releases. This addresses a serious bug in the Transform component that was introduced in the initial Platform 6.5 release and which is known to have manifested in the Astro-Physics driver and in the AstroTortilla application. Other drivers and applications may also have been impacted.

If you have installed the initial Platform 6.5 release, we strongly advise you to update to the service pack 1 release candidate.

If you have already installed an early beta version of the service pack 1 release, we also advise you to update to the release candidate because it includes further fixes and supports clean reversion to Platform 6.4 SP1 if required.

In addition to fixing the Transform bug, service pack 1 includes several Device Hub and installer fixes. The Platform releases link above contains a full list of changes.

The Platform and Developer Components installers have been submitted to VirusTotal and are passed by all major anti-virus scanners. SHA1 and SHA256 checksums are listed immediately above the installer executables in the releases link above.

Best wishes, Peter
Old 06-11-2020, 07:45 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Ken
Thanks for posting
I upgraded Ascom 6.4 SP1 to 6.5 last week and have done exhaustive testing for days and days on EQMOD , Ascom Stellarium and all my other software without any issues at all
I’m not ignoring this advice but I’m going to take a watch and see approach until I find a gremlin or failure
I just looked at the Ascom site and this Service pack RC1 update hasn’t landed yet so probably too early

Cheers
Martin
Old 06-11-2020, 07:54 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Martin,
The SP1 release is available from the link given.
Down the bottom of the page:
https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/A...ag/v6.5SP1-RC1

The file is shown as ASCOMplatform65.exe
Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Ken
So I’m assuming Ascom will update 6.5 to 6.5 SP1 soon on their main page ?
Otherwise the average Joe won’t know about this important update
Not everyone looks at GitHub ( I know I don’t, unless inadvertently directed to it from another site or forum like now )
Martin
Old 06-11-2020, 08:39 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 I haven't noticed any issues with 6.5 to date but thanks for the heads up Ken. Updating now.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:49 PM
Hemi

I’ve not updated yet. All working well, so might hold off for a bit.

Hemi
Old 14-11-2020, 08:16 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Is 6.5 safe yet? I'm still using 6.4 and have heard that 6.5 had/has some serious issues.
Old 14-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Is 6.5 safe yet? I'm still using 6.4 and have heard that 6.5 had/has some serious issues.
LIS
I’ve been using Ascom 6.5 for 3 weeks now and no issues so far running all my programs
Martin
Old 15-11-2020, 09:13 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I’ve been running 6.5 SP1 at the school observatory with APCC for the last week or so - no issues.

I ran 6.5 SP1 with my personal gear over the weekend - no issues identified. Using AP ASCOM driver and OnStep.

DT
Old 15-11-2020, 03:22 PM
gregbradley

Hmm I wonder if that is a source of my recent troubles autoguiding on my AP1600 mount.

All of a sudden I could not calibrate the autoguider and autoguiding was a train wreck where it was very accurate before.

I had trouble again last night but only briefly where the autoguiding threw in a longer error correction which would have been blocked by the max guide setting.

I'll update to the SP1 and see what is going on there.

I switched from an SBIG STi autoguider which has been my reliable stable autoguider now for several years to an ASI290 mini. The mini is super clean and very sensitive so perhaps I should also run shorter subs than the 6 seconds I use on an AP1600 and PME mounts.

Thanks for the heads up.

Greg.
Old 15-11-2020, 03:56 PM
gregbradley

The download for the release candidate for 6.5 is here:

https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Index.htm

Wins 10 won't let you install it and you'll get a message saying its been blocked and either keep or delete it. You have to click keep and then 2 2nd menu item comes up about keeping it. Once clicked you'll then have the standard Windows blocking message where you click run anyway.

A bit of a chore to find all this out and not very straight forward. The files are not labelled in an easy to understand way so use the above link the clearly marked download here for this file is top right of the page!

The Github site is a mess. I bet the programmer has a very messy bedroom!

Greg.
Old 15-11-2020, 04:07 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Greg,
I found downloading the file ( down the bottom of the page) from the link given in the 1st post went well for me, no issues.
Old 15-11-2020, 06:21 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Greg,
I found downloading the file ( down the bottom of the page) from the link given in the 1st post went well for me, no issues.
Odd eh. I just tried it again, it downloads the file but then when finished I get a Windows message saying it as blocked as it can harm your computer.

Who knows, probably different settings in Win 10.

Greg.
Old 15-11-2020, 07:28 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Just ignore the message and let it install. If a hacker gets so desperate that they're hiding malware inside Astronomy software I'm not sure what the world has come to...

Anyway, I don't believe it is the cause of your AP1600 issues Greg. As per the Groups.io forum, "There is a problem with the latest ASCOM Platform - v. 6.5 that prevents correct plate solutions in APPM".

DT
Old 15-11-2020, 09:10 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
LIS
I’ve been using Ascom 6.5 for 3 weeks now and no issues so far running all my programs
Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap
I’ve been running 6.5 SP1 at the school observatory with APCC for the last week or so - no issues.

I ran 6.5 SP1 with my personal gear over the weekend - no issues identified. Using AP ASCOM driver and OnStep.

DT
Thanks guys. I've updated today, fingers crossed the next time I start everything up it all works without a glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley
Odd eh. I just tried it again, it downloads the file but then when finished I get a Windows message saying it as blocked as it can harm your computer.

Who knows, probably different settings in Win 10.

Greg.
That's just Windows saying that Microsoft hasn't given a certificate to that software. If you trust the source of the download or program's author e.g. ASCOM's site then it's fairly safe to ignore it.

Last edited by LostInSp_ce; 15-11-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 15-11-2020, 09:27 PM
Saturn488

I might need to upgrade to 6.5 as well. Was just waiting on others feedback before doing it. Does everyone just install 6.5 on top of 6.4 or do a clean install?
Old 15-11-2020, 10:42 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

The installer deletes 6.4 before installing 6.5

DT
Old 16-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Saturn488

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
The installer deletes 6.4 before installing 6.5

DT
Cheers.
Old 18-11-2020, 12:45 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I downloaded and installed the latest version from the link Ken posted at the beginning of this thread and am using it as I type this post. Been at it for a couple of hours now and so far so good. Seems to be running perfectly with all of my applications and equipment. There's still a few apps and bit of gear left to try which I'll do another time but all looks good from here. FYI I upgraded directly form 6.4.
Old 18-11-2020, 06:42 AM
Hemi

Is there anything new in 6.5?

Hemi