Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 15-03-2015, 04:24 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Formula Boring

Anyone noticed how boring the new F1 season appears to be????
Mercedes 1 @ 2 with 3rd place 30secs back with 10 laps to go!!!!
Half the field out and very little "racing"
I know F1 is supposed to be more about development than racing
but this has to be the worst race in ages????

Andrew
Old 15-03-2015, 04:38 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I turned channels to watch Speed Week ... much better.
Top Fuel Dragsters and Bikes.
One blokes Supercharger Belt broke on a Dragster.... and didn't that pull him up quickly...and then the engine caught fire.

Col....
Old 15-03-2015, 05:35 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Not sure what you are watching mate. Today's race was fantastic! In for an interesting season.

Had a good final last 2 corner grand stand ticket for 2 days.

Cheers,
Stefan.
Old 15-03-2015, 06:12 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Anyone noticed how boring the new F1 season appears to be????
Andrew
Could not agree more Andrew. After just a few laps only 13 cars in the race and all spaced out. F1 holds no interest for me anymore aside from technical developments. The racing IS plain boring.
Old 15-03-2015, 06:13 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
Not sure what you are watching mate. Today's race was fantastic! In for an interesting season.

Had a good final last 2 corner grand stand ticket for 2 days.

Cheers,
Stefan.
Yeah, it wasn't bad for the first race of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Could not agree more Andrew. After just a few laps only 13 cars in the race and all spaced out. F1 holds no interest for me anymore aside from technical developments. The racing IS plain boring.
It's the first race of the season!
Old 15-03-2015, 06:53 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

That's right Paul it's only the first race!

Silly for users to say it's the worst race.
Old 15-03-2015, 07:02 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Much more fun watching Holden and Ford taxi racing, at least they bang into things. Lots more smoke and dust and general mayhem.
Formula has just become a car procession.
Old 15-03-2015, 07:14 PM
glend (Glen)

Actually Formula E is much more interesting - they are all electric and the racing is a great development series and hopefully the future of racing. Formua 1 is just making money for Bernie and the drivers, and is so boring.
Old 15-03-2015, 07:15 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Stefan
Quote:
Silly for users to say it's the worst race.
Only 5 cars were on the lead lap at the end and the 5th car was 1-1/2 minutes behind. 3rd and 4th were 30 secs behind the leader.
Thats just a "My technology is better than yours" result.
It was a hi speed game of follow the leader, with very little "racing" to be seen.
For the last part of the TV coverage, they were only showing the battles for 7th vs 8th to try and get something exciting.
Sorry, but as i said, technologically brilliant by Mercedes, but not really racing.

Andrew
Old 15-03-2015, 08:01 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Then 2000 - 2004 when Ferrari were dominant and 2010 - 2013 when Red Bull were dominant must have been boring years for you? (as they were in a league of their own!).

Since Mercedes won last year and they are looking great this year I guess it will yield the same result? Formula 1 is more about who the better team is, very different from the V8 Supercars or GP2 where all the cars are the same and it comes down to driver skill.

For any hardcore Formula 1 fans out there we still love the sport, regardless if there is one team who are winning by a mile.

Formula 1 is in my family's blood and been a big part of my life since I was a little kid so I think we see it from a very different perspective.

You either love Formula 1 or you don't.

Bring on Malaysia!

Cheers,
Stefan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Stefan
Only 5 cars were on the lead lap at the end and the 5th car was 1-1/2 minutes behind. 3rd and 4th were 30 secs behind the leader.
Thats just a "My technology is better than yours" result.
It was a hi speed game of follow the leader, with very little "racing" to be seen.
For the last part of the TV coverage, they were only showing the battles for 7th vs 8th to try and get something exciting.
Sorry, but as i said, technologically brilliant by Mercedes, but not really racing.

Andrew
Old 15-03-2015, 08:31 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Actually Formula E is much more interesting - they are all electric and the racing is a great development series and hopefully the future of racing. Formua 1 is just making money for Bernie and the drivers, and is so boring.
I think I agree, shame it's not as highly publicised but the racing is great. I hope it can grow and I think it will
Old 15-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

I've watch F1 for longer than can remember and I agree, todays F1 race was pretty ordinary, but as has been pointed out there have been periods of years when similar situations have occurred. That said, I still I still find it more entertaining than our V8 Supercar races......Bathurst is the exception.
Old 15-03-2015, 08:53 PM
CJ (Chris)

I doubt if anyone connected to Sauber found it boring.
Old 16-03-2015, 06:49 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Stefan
Quote:
Then 2000 - 2004 when Ferrari were dominant and 2010 - 2013 when Red Bull were dominant must have been boring years for you?
They may have ended up being dominant, but the "racing" was much better and closer back then in most cases.
How many races then ended with only 5 cars on the lead lap and gaps like we saw yesterday???
I see on the news, some of the drivers even said it was boring and apologised???
Betcha they will be getting a "please explain" from Bernie today.

Andrew
Old 16-03-2015, 07:28 AM
speach (Simon)

I would
be glad if it went from Melbourne. I use to love F1, but it seems to be same old same old every year. Red bull last year, and I wouldn't be surprised merc this year, As I said same old same old. The drivers have great skill in controlling those beast but there has been very little 'racing' in the last few years. It seems to be down to the design of the cars not the skill of the drivers in racing.
Old 16-03-2015, 08:06 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have been an F1 fan for a long time but would have to admit that yesterday was certainly not among the most riveting races I have seen.

The problem as I see it is that Mercedes did a better job than anyone else in developing the new power plant and the rules cement that advantage for years to come. It is pretty much what you saw last time around with Honda, they were down on power compared to the rest and so were often relegated to a predictable also ran status as they just got eaten on the straights, and the rules meant then as now that it was very hard to make up the gap.

How depressing would it be to be in a race car, starting each race knowing before hand that all things being equal no matter what you did you would be watching a pair of silver rear wings drive off into the distance?

What it puts me in mind of is the last Bathurst 24 hour race where the 427 Monaros were the only cars that were allowed to be built to that particular spec, they just cruised around at the front of the field and if a safety car brought the rest back up to them (Assuming they had not put a lap on them already, which they had done to most of the field by about a quarter race time) they thumped along for a few laps until everyone else was out of sight again and the turned the wick back down. As a racing fan I find it less than enthralling to think of a full season of that ahead in F1.

I did not find the Ferrari or RBR dominated years particularly riveting either.
Old 16-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Apparently Red Bull are reall Plssed off with Renault, at present their power plants are 100hp down on the Mercs, which is near double what the diff was last season. I know that they are having mapping issues, but I find it hard to believe that the difference is purely in the mapping. As for reliability, that is really bad news. Riciardo down an engine in the first 5 laps of FP1, only 3 left for the remaining 19 races, I don't think so they are in more crud than the first settlers at present, only marginally better than McLaren.

Update: Just read that the possibility even exists that Red Bull could pull out of F1 altogether if something is not done about the Engine Regs. Article here for information:

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsp...ry/194819.html

Last edited by Exfso; 17-03-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 17-03-2015, 12:23 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Why are we surprised that cars going in circles is not riveting viewing??
Sorry, I struggle to think of a less interesting sporting event than an F1 race, except any other form of motorsport

Malcolm
Old 17-03-2015, 12:50 PM
glend (Glen)

Did anyone else notice the dry ice blowers used in the garage to cool the hot brakes? I'd like to get my hands on one of those for a camera cooler. I can't find anything on the net about them.
Old 17-03-2015, 02:04 PM
torana68 (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Why are we surprised that cars going in circles is not riveting viewing??
Sorry, I struggle to think of a less interesting sporting event than an F1 race, except any other form of motorsport
Malcolm
a lot of people think the same of astronomy, due to knowing nothing about it and never having tried it