Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2014, 11:29 PM
PeterM

Astrology for kids.....

Saw these books the other day in a well know store.
All good harmless fun or is it?
"We can use star signs to encourage children to understand themselves and other people"
All pretty pictured up to a target audience.
At a time that we need more young people to look up and to take an interest in the natural night sky I was rather disheartened or maybe Astronomy is just being outmarketed.
I dunno, what do you reckon?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20140215_092549_resized.jpg)
71.9 KB95 views
Click for full-size image (20140215_092653_resized.jpg)
46.7 KB80 views
Old 17-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Astro_Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
All good harmless fun or is it?
I wouldn't say harmless, because it's proposed as being real and children can't know any better. Cartoons and other children's stories are obviously fiction, but that isn't.

It always amazes me how many people believe in some part of astrology - one girl I dated at Uni would sometimes cancel a date if the horoscope suggested we'd argue, amongst other peculiar beliefs. I'd say that's no way to live a life. On the other hand, I have star sign coffee mugs, because they're fun.
Old 17-02-2014, 11:57 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

it is good in a way because kids don't understand anything any more. their social interaction is fakebook and Twitter etc ... if this makes kids think about how others think it might be a good thing.

I'm a Leo and a snake in Chinese ...my traits are basically what astrology says. I don't like star signs but I can't deny what my traits are ..

matt
Old 18-02-2014, 12:04 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
maybe Astronomy is just being outmarketed.
I dunno, what do you reckon?
Hannum and Barnum comes to mind...
Old 18-02-2014, 12:18 AM
noeyedeer (Matt)

it sounds like astronomy is dying but it's not. I have 9 nieces and nephews ... all except 1 have seen Saturn and Jupiter and the moon and various deep sky objects .. but it's boring to them. they would rather play gta then look at a grs transit ..

when we were kids I'm sure the Atari 2600 was cool (was for me) but I still had a telescope that my dad didn't know how to use and I wasn't allowed to touch it ...

matt
Old 18-02-2014, 01:06 AM
ianB (Ian)

What these people dont understand ( those that believe in astrology ) is that stars are moving, the star charts from 1 or 2000 yers ago do not correspond to what you see today.

Why people believe that the stars can affect your emotions and influence your day to day life ( i for one dont ) will probally need a tread of its own, but no doubt that would quickly be locked.
Old 18-02-2014, 01:22 AM
noeyedeer (Matt)

I'm glad my charts were downloaded. I'd hate to buy something that was outdated in a year ..
Old 18-02-2014, 01:28 AM
noeyedeer (Matt)

the moon certainly affects our emotions .. just look at the crime spikes around full and new moon .. maybe because we are 70 odd percent water .. who knows. look at the stats ... we are affected by what's above us.

I'm not into astrology .. but as I have said people have traits .. and you are what you are ...

matt

just like breeds of dogs .. they have traits based on their breed ..etc ...
(I would put you as a Taurus Ian)
Old 18-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianB View Post
What these people dont understand ( those that believe in astrology ) is that stars are moving, the star charts from 1 or 2000 yers ago do not correspond to what you see today.

Why people believe that the stars can affect your emotions and influence your day to day life ( i for one dont ) will probally need a thread of its own, but no doubt that would quickly be locked.
I have to disagree with you here, everything we on Earth do is influenced by a star from our emotions to our day to day life .......... I for one would be very pixxed off if one particular star was no longer there when we rotated around again after another 24hours.

Seriously, I doubt that those children picture books are going to do any harm to a young mind, there are far worse outcomes for our children than an interest in astrology will ever be.

Last edited by Kunama; 18-02-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 18-02-2014, 07:14 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I don't think there is anything sinister about little illustrated books. As kids we probably all looked at the horoscopes in magazines and had a chuckle to see what next week luck would be. I reckon kids getting that material might even look up and delve into a bit of astronomy. They wouldn't differentiate between the two. Two many geeks on this forum. 90% of people don't know or don't care about what's up there. Doesn't make them any dummer. Of course there is always the odd ball but their number is greatly exagerated.
Old 18-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Barrykgerdes

If you want to be classed as a Geek or Nerd become an astronomy and make no money

If making lots of money off the gullible is your aim become an astrologer.

Barry
Old 18-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

My 4yo son loves his pop-up books about Physics and Chemistry, I bet books on bloody astrology would out-sell them though.... I'll allow him to have an astrology book when we collide with M31, not before!

I'll let the late, great Carl Sagan explain astrology to him one day.....
Old 18-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I don't think there is anything sinister about little illustrated books. As kids we probably all looked at the horoscopes in magazines and had a chuckle to see what next week luck would be. I reckon kids getting that material might even look up and delve into a bit of astronomy. They wouldn't differentiate between the two. Two many geeks on this forum. 90% of people don't know or don't care about what's up there. Doesn't make them any dummer. Of course there is always the odd ball but their number is greatly exagerated.
+1
Old 18-02-2014, 08:47 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
We can use star signs to encourage children to understand themselves and other people. and to embrace difference. too.
I see they are teaching advanced sentence construction skills too.

Last edited by RickS; 18-02-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added a smiley
Old 18-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I see they are teaching advanced sentence construction skills too.
The smoke got in your eyes Rick, they're actually commas !!

P.S.
Old 18-02-2014, 09:14 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
The smoke got in your eyes Rick, they're actually commas !!

P.S.
We Aquarians all have trouble with strange fonts.
Old 18-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Rob P

Find it a bit iffy personally. I'm not keen on putting labels on people, which can have the effect of the person living to the label rather than to their true nature.

I'm with Sheldon on this one:-

Penny: Okay - I'm a Sagittarius, which probably tells you way more than you need to know.
Sheldon: Yes - it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.
Penny: Participate-in-the-what?
Old 18-02-2014, 03:41 PM
ianB (Ian)

How can a large body of helium, liquid hydrogen and ice along with another similar heavenly bodies, all without a consciousness , work together so that on friday I will meet a tall blonde woman and win an unexpected trip on a cruise to Italy?

Children are impressionable and so to teach them astrology, even in a fun way will to sme degree leave somekind of influence upon them, especially if their parents believe in or practice astrology, and more than likely such parents are the ones who will buy these books.

Why do adults believe astrology anyway? I have not had anyone give me a satisfying answer.
Anyway i'd better go and pack for that cruise.
Old 18-02-2014, 06:37 PM
PCH (Paul)

Well I don't give a rats about this one way or the other Ian. But in response to your first question, I'd add that our own little brains appear to be made up of not much more than carbon atoms and water and stuff, and they seem to be capable of some quite wonderful things. Don't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianB View Post
How can a large body of helium, liquid hydrogen and ice along with another similar heavenly bodies, all without a consciousness , work together so that on friday I will meet a tall blonde woman and win an unexpected trip on a cruise to Italy?

Children are impressionable and so to teach them astrology, even in a fun way will to sme degree leave somekind of influence upon them, especially if their parents believe in or practice astrology, and more than likely such parents are the ones who will buy these books.

Why do adults believe astrology anyway? I have not had anyone give me a satisfying answer.
Anyway i'd better go and pack for that cruise.
Old 18-02-2014, 08:25 PM
ianB (Ian)

Yes Paul, I agree.