Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-05-2014, 04:57 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

3D Moon

Photographs of the Full Moon, 6 months apart - 2013-09-19 & 2014-03-16 - processed to enhance colour differences.

To view in 3D, use cross-eyed method: cross your eyes until you see 3 images, and try to bring the middle one into focus.

Canon 40D, 6-inch reflector, Newtonian focus; 1/125 sec at ISO-100. Images rotated to match libration difference between the two dates; 3D pair assembled in StereoPhoto Maker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon showing mineral colour differences 2013-09-19 & 2014-03-16.jpg)
115.2 KB117 views
Old 13-05-2014, 05:44 PM
batema (Mark)

That is extremely cool. Do you just put the two photos next to each other. Will it work with any two photos. Well done.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:13 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Very nice!
But I see the depth inverted, ie the moon is recessed in the centre?
I don't usually see these cross-eye images that way, I have no problem viewing the ones people generate regularly on unmannedspaceflight.com.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:32 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Very nice!
Yeah me too. Looks like looking into a deep bowl. Cool idea though. I never thought to try it myself.
Old 13-05-2014, 06:55 PM
johnnyt123 (John)

Me too. Moon looks hollowed out.
Like looking into the inside of a bowel.

But it's cool.
Old 13-05-2014, 07:15 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
That is extremely cool. Do you just put the two photos next to each other. Will it work with any two photos. Well done.
Thanks mate. For 3D stereo to work, you need two images that have been taken from slightly positions, or where the subject has rotated between exposures, so that there is a perspective difference. With the Moon, you have to use the libration effect, but the trick is to get matching phase with the right libration. As the total libration is a mix of E-W and N-S, the variation between any two lunar exposures can be in any direction at all.

For example, with two 1st quarter exposures, you might have to rotate the images so that you get an unusual position angle. The same is true of the Full Moon, of course, but at least it's a round image, and ends up less irritating (IMHO).
Old 13-05-2014, 07:36 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Very nice!
I don't usually see these cross-eye images that way, I have no problem viewing the ones people generate regularly on unmannedspaceflight.com.
Hmm... sounds like you're viewing it as a parallel pair. It's a similar technique, but you need the images swapped L-R. Try this one below - it's for parallel viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon showing mineral colour differences 2013-09-19 & 2014-03-16 (for stereo-card - parallel).jpg)
13.1 KB91 views
Old 13-05-2014, 09:22 PM
batema (Mark)

I see in the second image the moon looks hollow but in the first one it looks beautiful and round. Not hollow.
Old 13-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Kunama

Excellent !!! I see it as a sphere. For those who see it as a bowl, rotate the image 180 degrees then you too will see a ball not a bowl, you can try a handstand or rotate your screen
Old 13-05-2014, 09:57 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Excellent !!! I see it as a sphere. For those who see it as a bowl, rotate the image 180 degrees then you too will see a ball not a bowl, you can try a handstand or rotate your screen
Mmm... not sure if you're being serious, or not. Rotating the image won't change the appearance from bowl to ball, just turn it upside-down.
Old 13-05-2014, 09:58 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
I see in the second image the moon looks hollow but in the first one it looks beautiful and round. Not hollow.
Well done, that man; I was starting to doubt my own eyes!
Old 13-05-2014, 10:14 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Very cool!
By the way, I can go either way (crossed/parallel) at will. That is, I can deliberately make them both appear as concave or convex
Old 13-05-2014, 10:32 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

Thanks Simon. After years of being unable to, I can now freeview parallel, but only if the image centre separation is close to my interocular distance. Cross-eyed: I could do it all day long, but wouldn't want to end up like that well-known silent stereo star Ben "3D" Turpin!
Old 14-05-2014, 03:56 AM
pelu
astronomical dummy

I feel that the depressed center is due a too much time difference between the two images. But it look very well
Old 14-05-2014, 12:16 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

pelu: whether the appearance is convex or concave depends solely upon which image is on the left, and which on the right (and whether you are using x-eyed or parallel viewing). The amount of libration rotation will affect the strength of the 3D effect. In this case, the total libration difference between the two images was around 12°, which is more than required, so the effect is exaggerated somewhat.
Old 14-05-2014, 12:19 PM
ozalba (Duncan)

pelu: having re-read your comment, I realise that you probably meant 6 months was too long a gap. It doesn't matter whether the difference is one month or a hundred years: the only important thing is the difference in libration between the two dates. If the exposures are, say, 25 years apart, but they have exactly the same libration, then there will be no 3D effect at all.

Last edited by ozalba; 14-05-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 14-05-2014, 02:21 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozalba View Post
Hmm... sounds like you're viewing it as a parallel pair. It's a similar technique, but you need the images swapped L-R. Try this one below - it's for parallel viewing.
Yeah I think you're right.
This new one doesn't look too good to me but I had another look at the original and changed my viewing style slightly and now it look great!
Old 14-05-2014, 06:44 PM
pelu
astronomical dummy

Yes, I know. I make 3D pairs from my micro minerals images (*). Sound a bit strange, sometime big planet images, sometimes small mineral images Because I not able to see the stereo pairs, I have builded a device with four prisms from an old binocular and now I see both 3D posibilities, cross eyes and straight eyes. In my past post I tried to say that the effect was a bit strong, the Moon apperance was near a rugby ball instead a sphere. The aspect of flattened sphere, correct sphere or "rugby balon" is created by the used angle between the two images. Or in my micro images the variation of angle modify how deep seem the "micro landscape". I have found that four degrees is a good value.

In planets, I have tried to do 3D pairs too, but it is easier with Jupiter that with the moon : I no must wait some months, only half hour !

(*)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q...rita1_3D_X.jpg