Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-10-2020, 08:38 PM
mickh (Michael)

Saxon NEQ6 Pro - any reviews?

Hi everyone,
Any thoughts on the Saxon NEQ6 Pro mount?
Was thinking of a 2nd hand purchase of one. Something that will allow me to get into astrophotography.

Ideal features of a mount for me:
- OK for beginner including ease of setting up and polar alignment, but with the quality to still be a great mount once more experience is gained over time
- Durable, quality etc
- Able to transport easily enough inside and outside each use; and to put in the car to transport somewhere for a weekend.

Anyone used this mount and have thoughts about it - pros and cons?
Thanks in advance
Old 30-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Identical to the skywatcher mount just rebranded for saxon...
Old 30-10-2020, 10:52 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I'll act as a bump here firstly, it's the same mount as the Skywathcer one, so whatever you read about one, applies to the other. I've seen one, once, but I read about stuff like my life depends on it. I may well be dead wrong with the following, though

I don't have one, but it's a mount that can take a good amount of weight, so will be fine for getting going and then up to and perhaps beyond a1000mm focal length if you want to at some point.

It's a heavy thing, but I don't think it would be much of a pain for taking in and out of the house/garage often if you're in good health. The head would be under 20kg I suppose. A whole bunch of amazing images using big newts have been taken on neq6 mounts.

Reasons you'd skip it for the neq6r? As far as I know it has no PEC and is not belt driven. Belt modification is a piece of cake, I'm not sure how PEC plays out with phd2 guiding, if it can be compensated for. It's a whole lot cheaper than the newer neq6r, even with a belt mod factored in. New neq6r has direct USB input too, but an eqdirect cable is another small cost that will be quickly forgotten.

I don't see anything about it that would make it better or worse for setting up compared to similar mounts, so don't worry about that.
I don't think about having astro stuff forever. A mount like that as a first mount would, I think, satisfy for a long while. In terms of quality, be prepared for the possibility of it not being a beautifully tuned piece of clockwork, but also know that you can probably tinker with it and make it much better

Like I said up front, feel free to treat this as a long winded bump up the order you probably have all of that info under the hood already.
Old 31-10-2020, 01:12 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I have one .. it works (though the handset took a dump which in this COVID time sent me to EQMOD and I haven't looked back.) and that's all I can ask from it.
It was my first real mount and I'll probably only replace it when it's worn out.
Old 31-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Identical to the skywatcher
Old 31-10-2020, 04:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

The Saxon NEQ6 is a Skywatcher NEQ6 , it doesn’t even have a Saxon brand label on it
It is a 15 year old proven design , a real workhorse

However the EQ6-R is an upgrade from the NEQ6 which entered the market in early 2017
The EQ6-R is a superior mount to the old NEQ6

I have both models the earlier model and the latest model with USB port in two different locations , Sydney Bortle 8 and South Coast Bortle 3

EQ6-R has a slightly higher payload than the NEQ6 ( about 2kg )
EQ6-R is belt driven on both Dec and Ra
Alt and Az bolts are solid compared to the undersized NEQ6 bolts
EQ6-R Mount head stock caters for various dovetail bars and plates with nice solid bolts
The EQ6-R is whisper quiet , tracks and slews beautifully
Backlash in both my mounts is almost negligible
The older model mount has 15kg on board and guides under an arc sec on most nights
The newer model mount has 9kg on board and guided under an arc sec on most nights
Saxon NEQ6 retails at $2,200.00
Skywatcher EQ6-R retails at $2,599.00

From my experience over 2 years with using the EQ6-R mount , I would recommend the EQ6-R over the Saxon NEQ6 for the sake of a few hundred bucks

My 2 cents .....
Old 08-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

which ever mount you get, it will require a full strip down and rebuilt with quality grease and quality bearing
Old 08-11-2020, 04:08 PM
lollywater (Paul)

I have an EQ6-R in a skyshed and am very happy with it
I have a HEQ5 with a 200 f4 newt and was very unhappy with both goto and tracking. I bought a saxon NEQ6 about a year ago and am very happy with goto and tracking. It is $600 cheaper . No belt drive,but that doesnt seem to matter for my purposes.

I take it out of a shed each time. I have a dodgy back,but it is manageable as long as the counterweights are removed
cheers
Paul
Old 14-11-2020, 08:06 AM
mickh (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loupy31 View Post
which ever mount you get, it will require a full strip down and rebuilt with quality grease and quality bearing
Hi thanks for the message. Why will I need to do this? I assume you wouldnt need to do this on brand new mount, only 2nd hand? Is it difficult to do?
Old 14-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Michael,
No need to re-build a new mount.
Sure, there may be some improvement down the line IF you find any issues.

My HEQ5pro and NEQ6 pro are both over ten years old.
No re-grease, no bearing changes.

They just work and do their job - as it should be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mainsail Obs 001s.jpg)
64.7 KB148 views
Click for full-size image (P1090813.JPG)
176.0 KB159 views
Old 26-06-2022, 03:08 PM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

Hi Guys,
Putting aside the belt mod, payload,( which is a grey area ),

the motor driver board, Replacing the old one in the neq6 pro, with the upgraded one( same as the Eq6 pro s , does it run the motors better, smoother,

Peter