Old 16-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

ABC stargazing

Watching the ABC’s first instalment of Stargazing had me pondering: could they have done better?

The short answer for me was a definite yes.

Greg Quickie aka astro Gandalf had the occasional interesting demonstration, but this was no slick BBC natural history (eg Attenborough) production.

Many sky-shots and time lapse sequences were poor quality, often repeated, amateur like efforts. CG was almost non-existent and went begging on sequences crying out for its use, such as a clearer demonstration of why we have seasons.

While Greg’s demonstration of the scale of the solar system had merit...again is was on the cheap. A coconut, pebbles and berries? Consider this beautiful quote from a 1960’s “Golden” book on the subject: if the earth were the size of a 20 cent piece, the sun would be a 9 foot ball, 1000 feet away.

Dolly back from massive beach ball, pan to Greg headed down the highway on his Harley toward pea sized Pluto. Overlay some CG....introduce the Oort cloud...nearest star...galaxies....that Harley has a way to go....

Also I’d question the monolog use of Mr Quickie for the whole show....particularly when affable characters such as Fred Watson (gosh....a real astronomer! ) could have given more cred to the show.

Sure it was nice to at least have ABC screen an astro show...more the pity Auntie didn’t truly run with it.
Old 16-05-2018, 12:56 PM
glend (Glen)

Credit to the ABC for trying, and in fairness to them and their limited budget, anything dumbed down for the masses is going to irritate the heck out of many folks who frequent IIS. Can't please everyone.
Old 16-05-2018, 01:41 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

My thoughts exactly. We are not the target market. My 9 year old son is and he loved it.

I still got enjoyment out of it, to be honest the fact that it is not a studio polished production added to it in some ways for me rather than detracting form it. Just a few of the presumably pre recorded sequences struck a wrong key for me as I know enough to know they were talking out of their hats with regard to what they could see. But given the production timeframes they dont exactly have the time to go back another night so that someone can ohh and ahh about an actual view of Jupiter rather than having to act like they were when it was obviously total cloud cover. The perils of live and near live TV.
Old 16-05-2018, 05:28 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
My thoughts exactly. We are not the target market. My 9 year old son is and he loved it.

I still got enjoyment out of it, to be honest the fact that it is not a studio polished production added to it in some ways for me rather than detracting form it. Just a few of the presumably pre recorded sequences struck a wrong key for me as I know enough to know they were talking out of their hats with regard to what they could see. But given the production timeframes they dont exactly have the time to go back another night so that someone can ohh and ahh about an actual view of Jupiter rather than having to act like they were when it was obviously total cloud cover. The perils of live and near live TV.
Yep! They were not preaching to the converted. I'm glad they were making a serious effort to translate astronomy into the lingua Franca.

Peter
Old 16-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
.......... I'm glad they were making a serious effort........
Peter
Nah...they weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
...........the fact that it is not a studio polished production .......
Yes, I agree.

While I'm not expecting Planet Earth II next week, I'd expect Brian Cox and Julia will deliver some clever repartee.
Old 16-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Wilso

Hopefully it won't be like last years efforts with a guy trying to look through a telescope in gale force winds.
Should have left the telescope just spin around in the wind.
(Would have been just as funny)
If they keep things realistic would be good!

Last edited by Wilso; 16-05-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 17-05-2018, 03:43 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

At the time I didn't consider the quality of the graphics; I was too taken by the clarity of the narrative. Thinking about it more, I still like the el cheapo graphics. I think having simple props (subconsciously) makes one think that celestial mechanics is simple - which it is. Having it explained by a former mechanic rather that an egg-headed academic (sorry Fred) also suggests that even 'commoners' can understand this. Also, anyone can (more or less) repeat his demonstrations, thus re-enforcing the lesson and allowing them to teach others. [I've had great success explaining lunar phases with a torch and an orange. You can also use an apple or tomato, but pears or cucumbers might create confusion. ]

I do like the idea of him riding his Harley through the solar system but, lets face it, it would probably break down before it cleared the asteroid belt.

BTW If Aunty are forced to do things on the cheap it isn't exactly their fault.
Old 17-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I did enjoy watching parts of the show last year, but this year it will be even better because ABC asked if they can use some of my images for promoting the event in Brisbane and for the making of an interactive sky tour

But the most exciting part for me is that we will host a stargazing event on the 23rd in Proserpiene - to my limited knowledge a first ever stargazing event in this beautiful region thus possibly making a history
Old 17-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
BTW If Aunty are forced to do things on the cheap it isn't exactly their fault.

With Michelle Guthrie...a public servant... pulling around $1million PA...i.e. way more the P.M's salary ....I suspect Auntie can afford it, hence it's likely a case of a "Yes Minister" culture...aka the hospital without any patients preventing any serious production.
Old 17-05-2018, 08:59 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

I’m pleased that we were not called astrologers!
Old 17-05-2018, 09:04 PM
nobby2 (Neil)

Greg Quicke is the reason why I discovered Astronomy.
I was on holiday in Broome and attended Gregs presentation expecting a view through some of his instruments.
He sat us down and started to explain the movement of the earth in relation to the stars. The penny dropped! its not just about admiring the beauty of celestial objects its the spiritual (if you like) connection with their movement through minutes, days, weeks, months and years.
As a retired teacher I appreciate the rare ability for presenters to make a connection with the uninitiated. An inspired teacher!
Old 18-05-2018, 01:22 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
With Michelle Guthrie...a public servant... pulling around $1million PA...i.e. way more the P.M's salary ....I suspect Auntie can afford it, hence it's likely a case of a "Yes Minister" culture...aka the hospital without any patients preventing any serious production.
How is that a fair comparison? We all know pollies are paid less than CEOs: money is not supposed to be the motivation for entering politics. A fairer comparison is with the salaries of other media CEOs, and by that metric the salary looks reasonable. It's at the lower end of the range, above that of CEOs of regional media but less than the CEOs of the big players - in some cases <50% of their official salary. I also struggle with the arithmetic of how her (or even the whole of senior management) taking a pay cut could offset the announced $84m cuts, much less the $254m cuts in the 2014 budget.

Personally I think many people get too much money but to stop that means changing the system that allows such privilege. But I doubt that Michelle is in that group against whom my anger is mostly directed - the richest 1%.
Old 18-05-2018, 01:23 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby2 View Post
.... As a retired teacher I appreciate the rare ability for presenters to make a connection with the uninitiated. An inspired teacher!
Could he become the Eddie Woo of astronomy?
Old 18-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Credit to the ABC for trying, and in fairness to them and their limited budget, anything dumbed down for the masses is going to irritate the heck out of many folks who frequent IIS. Can't please everyone.
Hear hear! The ambiguity and negativity currently displayed by several members of IIS is the precise reason I currently use the site less often than before. (And you know who you are!) I'm with you Glen, and if they sat back and had a good long think that the program wasn't directed at current amateur astronomers but the general public who may be prospective amateurs then hats off to the ABC for having a go in the first place.
Old 18-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I am not a fan for settling for average when the exceptional is possible....

To be blunt, while I'm sure he is a nice guy, and he is enthusiastic about the night sky...which is good... Greg Quickie simply did not inspire me.

On the other hand these exceptional insights do.....

“We inhabit a universe where atoms are made in the centers of stars; where each second a thousand suns are born; where life is sparked by sunlight and lightning in the airs and waters of youthful planets; where the raw material for biological evolution is sometimes made by the explosion of a star halfway across the Milky Way; where a thing as beautiful as a galaxy is formed a hundred billion times "

“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan
Old 20-05-2018, 05:42 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

IMO We are lucky to have anything on astronomy at all

Last edited by alan meehan; 20-05-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 20-05-2018, 07:24 PM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
Hear hear! The ambiguity and negativity currently displayed by several members of IIS is the precise reason I currently use the site less often than before. (And you know who you are!) I'm with you Glen, ….
Strongly agree.

Quote:
I am not a fan for settling for average when the exceptional is possible....

To be blunt, while I'm sure he is a nice guy, and he is enthusiastic about the night sky...which is good... Greg Quickie simply did not inspire me.

…. Ad nauseum.
Couldn't find the off switch Peter?
Old 20-05-2018, 09:18 PM
JA

On the subject of the ABC's budget it's about $1.1 Billion, or about 0.1% of Australia's GDP. A budget cut (or funding freeze) of $80 Million is insignificant in the sense that they should be able to reorganise, redeploy or cut waste, otherwise really ......?

Notwithstanding the ABC's contribution to science and technology programming, I'm sure many would be able to think of worthy community uses for $80 Million.

Best
JA
Old 24-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodog View Post
Strongly agree.

Couldn't find the off switch Peter?
Oh dear. How flaccid and wet is that.

Top Gear would not have gone beyond one season if the BBC grabbed a local mechanic who only tested Vauxhall’s/ Daewoo’s.

That said, upper middle Bogan is done well by Auntie.
Old 25-05-2018, 08:20 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Cheers Peter
Quote:
Oh dear. How flaccid and wet is that.
Look up, you have played a small role in popularising Astronomy like the rest of us. Let others have their go. It's not all 5128 and 5139.

Quote:
That said, upper middle Bogan is done well by Auntie.
Wouldn't know, having never lived in the 'Burbs' of Sydney.