ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 01:35 PM
JA

Of course there is also the more usual positive connotation of the word, Trump, as in:

to play one's trump card (as in the game of 500 or Bridge), but in regular use probably to make one's best / most appropriate/ winning move. Or to be trumped (also in reference to 500 or Bridge), but falls in to regular use, to be beaten by a better move (card of The Trump suit).

Then of course, in 500 & Bridge there's also "No Trumps", which by the sound of it, seems some people may prefer to play.

Best
JA
Old 11-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

I used to be worried about Trump, until I started reading more about his "Joseph Goebbels" aka chief strategist and senior advisor Steve Bannon. That guy just outright scares me.

If you want to see what Trump supporters are reading then have a look at www.breitbart.com which is a news service which Bannon was a founding board member. They are the ones pushing for the mainstream media to be classed as "fake news" while sprouting their own lies and propaganda.

As an example of a current article - when NBA star Steph Curry insulted Trump by effectively calling him an ass, their article states "Curry somehow found a way to form an insult out of a completely benign comment. Mainly, because that’s what his sycophants in the liberal sports media want him to do." source

Steve Bannon, who now sits on the security council, believes that we are about to enter "the fourth turning" , a time of massive political turmoil accompanied by a global scale war. The turmoil is there, the question is will it be too late to stop his agenda of a global war (against islam)? source
Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
I used to be worried about Trump, until I started reading more about his "Joseph Goebbels" aka chief strategist and senior advisor Steve Bannon. That guy just outright scares me.

If you want to see what Trump supporters are reading then have a look at www.breitbart.com which is a news service which Bannon was a founding board member. They are the ones pushing for the mainstream media to be classed as "fake news" while sprouting their own lies and propaganda.

As an example of a current article - when NBA star Steph Curry insulted Trump by effectively calling him an ass, their article states "Curry somehow found a way to form an insult out of a completely benign comment. Mainly, because that’s what his sycophants in the liberal sports media want him to do." source

Steve Bannon, who now sits on the security council, believes that we are about to enter "the fourth turning" , a time of massive political turmoil accompanied by a global scale war. The turmoil is there, the question is will it be too late to stop his agenda of a global war (against islam)? source
You're not the only one concerned about Bannon, Andrew all the sites from the states I visit on face book as also very well connected people like Lawrence Krauss and Timothy Ferris are also showing concern.
I hope can be contained or even removed from his position.
Trump replaced the joint chief of staff at the national security council with Bannon.
Crazy
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 12-02-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 13-02-2017, 06:44 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

and as a little comic relief - there is a slight air of genuine crazy seeping into everything.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...de-cx#cxrecs_s
Old 13-02-2017, 09:07 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Here's some more comic relief: https://youtu.be/3pbTmXsfiYk
Old 21-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Are these true?
What are your views on these actions?
(Sorry if repeating old news. Behind the times. Only just read it.)

Among the boycotts of US goods and travels:

1)
Quote from http://www.theaustralian.com.au/high...afb4c1dc9b69a4

Thousands of academics from around the world have vowed to boycott conferences in the US over Donald Trump’s travel ban.

The development comes after some 27,000 academics — led by 51 Nobel laureates including Australian National University vice-chancellor Brian Schmidt — put their names to another petition against the executive order.

2)
Quote from http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/...tt-us-meetings
Scientists urge boycott of U.S. meetings

The Organizing Committee of the Commission G2 Massive Stars, part of the International Astronomical Union (IAU), announced today it would not hold any meetings in the United States as long as the ban on entry by persons from seven Muslim-majority countries is in place. The committee asked its parent organization to do likewise after IAU said it was “profoundly concerned by the impact the recent U.S. executive order, and possible reactions to it from other countries, could have on international collaboration in astronomy and the mobility of scientists.”

------- the Organizing Committee and an astronomer at Armagh Observatory in the United Kingdom. The committee’s seven members “agreed in a minute” to launch the boycott,

Last edited by Sol-Skysailor; 21-02-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 21-02-2017, 11:53 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Skysailor View Post
Are these true?

1)

Thousands of academics from around the world have vowed to boycott conferences in the US over Donald Trump’s travel ban.

The development comes after some 27,000 academics — led by 51 Nobel laureates including Australian National University vice-chancellor Brian Schmidt — put their names to another petition against the executive order.

2)

The Organizing Committee of the Commission G2 Massive Stars, part of the International Astronomical Union (IAU), announced today it would not hold any meetings in the United States as long as the ban on entry by persons from seven Muslim-majority countries is in place. The committee asked its parent organization to do likewise after IAU said it was “profoundly concerned by the impact the recent U.S. executive order, and possible reactions to it from other countries, could have on international collaboration in astronomy and the mobility of scientists.”

------- the Organizing Committee and an astronomer at Armagh Observatory in the United Kingdom. The committee’s seven members “agreed in a minute” to launch the boycott,
More boycotts like this and in other fields, and it would be almost impossible for him to govern with any authority ; in fact it would be downright embarrassing for him!!
bigjoe.
Old 22-02-2017, 12:19 AM
JA

Quote:
Are these true?

1)

2)

Quote:
Are these true?
Who knows? Can you trust the source or is it part of the managed news we get fed?

Quote:
In a word .... inconsequential. As to how long these sort of things last, well it depends, but usually no longer than it takes their attitudes to start affecting their careers or pocketbooks.

Best
JA
Old 23-02-2017, 02:04 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

Penalty rates decision!

Do you want Donald Trump? - because this is how you get Donald Trump!

Time to bring down the Temple
Old 24-02-2017, 06:47 AM
Orionskies (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1987a View Post
Penalty rates decision!

Time to bring down the Temple
Give us hell Donald!!!
Old 25-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Trump's travel bans...............could they also apply to our politicians, maybe?
Old 25-02-2017, 11:16 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

We wont know soon.

Latest news coming out is that the Whitehouse has just run the first ever "private" news briefings, where many of the larger news companies ( who the prez doesnt like ) were specifically banned from being present??????
Looks like another dictator is being born.

Andrew
Old 25-02-2017, 11:30 AM
casstony

I'm very interested to see what happens in the Dutch and French elections in March and April respectively. Trump might have some good buddies in Europe soon.
Old 25-02-2017, 11:31 AM
sn1987a (Barry)

Yeah but don't worry even if he gets away with it something like that could never happen here, our politicians and media are made of sterner stuff.
Old 26-02-2017, 01:11 PM
casstony

Trump's black shirts humiliate and insult little old lady (and a bunch of other miscreants) at LA airport: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-2...icials/8303366
Old 26-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Quote:
by another poster:

Trump's black shirts humiliate and insult little old lady (and a bunch of other miscreants)....
Using 'little old lady' as an insulting term?
Do you have problems with females, seeing them as inferior for insulting??
And choosing 'little' and 'old' as targets appropriate for your size?

Are adults setting role-model examples of how to relate to others?

Name-calling people as 'miscreants'?
Have you known them, tried and judged them in due and just process?

We can see that others can insult back and verbal wars start (again and again), right?

(PS FoS means Freedom of respectful speech, right? Not freedom to insult and accuse.)
Old 26-02-2017, 01:59 PM
casstony

Quote:

We can see that others can insult back and verbal wars start (again and again), right?

(PS FoS means Freedom of respectful speech, right? Not freedom to insult and accuse.)
I think you've missed the satirical intent in my post? I was trying to point out that the border agents are behaving very badly under Trump's guidance. I thought it would be obvious that a little old lady is not a miscreant and that black shirts are a reference to past dictators.
Old 26-02-2017, 02:03 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

Quote:

Old 26-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I think you've missed the satirical intent in my post? I was trying to point out that the border agents are behaving very badly under Trump's guidance. I thought it would be obvious that a little old lady is not a miscreant and that black shirts are a reference to past dictators.
Thank you, casstony. I appreciate the clarifications.

Things get mixed up in the use of language. Many things that seem a 'normal' practice and normal wording and even with good intention can have ongoing detrimental effects.

Cheers. With my goodwill.
Old 26-02-2017, 02:46 PM
casstony

Quote:
Thank you, casstony. I appreciate the clarifications.

Things get mixed up in the use of language. Many things that seem a 'normal' practice and normal wording and even with good intention can have ongoing detrimental effects.

Cheers. With my goodwill.
All good
It is easy to misinterpret short posts on forums.