Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-02-2017, 06:24 PM
glend (Glen)

New Version of Skywatcher MN190 - DS

The Skywatcher MN190 has been revamped and rebadged as the MN190-DS. The original version was typically badged as the MN190-BD.
The major difference in the new model is a larger secondary mirror (64mm), where the older model had the 51mm secondary.
I imagine that Skywatcher went to the larger secondary to make the scope more suitable for use with larger format DSLRs. The 51mm secondary was perfect for sensor sizes up to APS-C. The small secondary provided a smaller central obstruction, @ 26%, and thus improved contrast.
Stock situation maybe variable. I noticed that Teleskop-Express are still showing the 51mm secondary in their product detail page. If your considering buying one it is probably a good idea to ask which one your buying. I checked the Bintel and Andrews websites and found: Bintel is not showing the scope, and Andrews apparently deeply discounting from $2199 at Christmas to $1799 now, this may mean that the older BD model is being run out by Tasco. Its worth asking before buying. Personally i believe the small secondary version is superior and if you can find one, buy it. I will certainly be hanging on to mine -its a collectors item now.
Old 17-02-2017, 08:49 AM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The Skywatcher MN190 has been revamped and rebadged as the MN190-DS. The original version was typically badged as the MN190-BD.
The major difference in the new model is a larger secondary mirror (64mm), where the older model had the 51mm secondary.
I imagine that Skywatcher went to the larger secondary to make the scope more suitable for use with larger format DSLRs. The 51mm secondary was perfect for sensor sizes up to APS-C. The small secondary provided a smaller central obstruction, @ 26%, and thus improved contrast.
Stock situation maybe variable. I noticed that Teleskop-Express are still showing the 51mm secondary in their product detail page. If your considering buying one it is probably a good idea to ask which one your buying. I checked the Bintel and Andrews websites and found: Bintel is not showing the scope, and Andrews apparently deeply discounting from $2199 at Christmas to $1799 now, this may mean that the older BD model is being run out by Tasco. Its worth asking before buying. Personally i believe the small secondary version is superior and if you can find one, buy it. I will certainly be hanging on to mine -its a collectors item now.
Interesting - I am very fond of mine. Bit of a beast . As I recall it works ok with a full frame DSLR - bit of vinetting, but not that bad. I have had no issues with the stock focuser either. (But I only have a puny little canon 550D hanging off it)
Old 17-02-2017, 09:39 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
Interesting - I am very fond of mine. Bit of a beast . As I recall it works ok with a full frame DSLR - bit of vinetting, but not that bad. I have had no issues with the stock focuser either. (But I only have a puny little canon 550D hanging off it)
The stock focuser is certainly different, with its hidden slide out extension tube. I great idea but sort of poorly executed. Being an astrograph it achieves camera focus pretty easily down close to focuser, the extension is really for visual use, and EPs that need a fair amount of back focus range like Naglers. I replaced mine with the Moonlight after Ron got a proper adaptor made, upgrading the focuser is not the problem it used to be. All Mak-Newts require focusers mounted near the front right behind the corrector. Folks that jumped in early and bought the first generation Moonlight adaptor found that centering the focuser properly over the secondary could not be achieved, it did not allow forward movement of the focuser, which meant you could not properly centre it over the secondary, then they tried to move the secondary and really messed up their scopes. With the corrector mounted secondary it is important to never, ever, try to alter the secondary position - it is factory set. Yes you can collimate it as per usual but do not move the offset. The new adaptor now has the ability to slide the Moonlight focuser forward to located it precisely over the secondary. For imaging the Moonlight is ideal but when used visually you will need an extension tube in the Moonlight for some EPs.
Old 20-02-2017, 08:33 AM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The stock focuser is certainly different, with its hidden slide out extension tube. I great idea but sort of poorly executed. Being an astrograph it achieves camera focus pretty easily down close to focuser, the extension is really for visual use, and EPs that need a fair amount of back focus range like Naglers. I replaced mine with the Moonlight after Ron got a proper adaptor made, upgrading the focuser is not the problem it used to be. All Mak-Newts require focusers mounted near the front right behind the corrector. Folks that jumped in early and bought the first generation Moonlight adaptor found that centering the focuser properly over the secondary could not be achieved, it did not allow forward movement of the focuser, which meant you could not properly centre it over the secondary, then they tried to move the secondary and really messed up their scopes. With the corrector mounted secondary it is important to never, ever, try to alter the secondary position - it is factory set. Yes you can collimate it as per usual but do not move the offset. The new adaptor now has the ability to slide the Moonlight focuser forward to located it precisely over the secondary. For imaging the Moonlight is ideal but when used visually you will need an extension tube in the Moonlight for some EPs.
Great info - I had read some worrying discussions on people using moonlites with this scope - glad they got it sorted. I think I will keep mine until I have problems.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:10 AM
glend (Glen)

Toc, yes i agree that larger format dslrs could be used with the small secondary version of this scope, with minor vignetting which is easily cropped. The small secondary is a big contributor to the large APO like performance. With a standard Newt sized (64mm) secondary (for an 8" aperture), they are turning it into just a corrected Newt type design. Pandering to a certain camera format is dumbing down imho.