Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Clouds finally cleared at around 11.30pm just in time to start imaging M42
Guiding was poor couldn’t tighten it up but got away with some 2 minute subs
Finished around 3.30am
Glad I checked outside again and didn’t go to bed
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (9B860082-FB9D-4FF7-B078-6E98565CB4AA.jpeg)
86.6 KB15 views
Old 11-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Finally a clear night! Still can't get PHD2 to work, I have no idea what I'm doing and nothing seems to make it want to work. But rather than waste the first clear night in ages I went unguided. Managed 2 hours of 60s subs on M45 which skims my neighbours roof and 2 hours on M42. Had to dump half the M45 subs because of interference from the roof and the neighbours lights. I hadn't realised just how noisy a DSLR would be in this weather, the images have crazy hatched banding if I try and stretch, so I had to be very delicate. Not sure I succeeded but I'm happy as a first attempt. Hoping to get the same again tonight, so I'll be tired at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (181111_M42 final_03.jpg)
109.2 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (181110_M45_final_02.jpg)
192.2 KB14 views
Old 11-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Paul
Im a newbie to guiding and had trouble getting PHD2 guiding working for weeks but now its ok and I’m guiding most times under 1.50 arc sec error depending on seeing conditions etc..occasionally I lose the guide star ( still trying to sort that out )
Are you Ascom guiding direct to the mount or ST4 guiding via the camera to the mount ?
There’s a lot of help out there as well and IIS is a good start to air your issues and get some help
PHD2 have a forum as well to get help but I found websites, IIS , cloudy nights , astronomy books, chatting to my supplier to be most helpful
Good luck and by the way great images keep it up !!
Old 11-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Wavytone

Heck... last night I tasted the dark side after 30 years - attached camera body to the MK91 for the first time and I had judged the extension rings correctly - it did achieve focus.

Didn't take a shot though. Another time.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I put a cable on the old eq6 mount and did have control via ascom but in an effort to solve a problem that I cant even remember I found a spot and changed the port to four not three..now I can not find where to change it back☺.
PHD was saying its having problems with stars and even if I could fix a star it just would not guide like it just wasnt getting the message.
If stars are the problem I may try this 70 mm guude scope scope but you would think that would not be the problem.
The filter wheel has appeared so hopefully other thing will work out to get on board.
Cant take flat just been making mistake after mistake captured avi files☺ tired and doing stupid mistakes... even though I thought otherwise..anyways the lights and darks have produced an initial pleasing result.
Funny the core which is why I was content with 15 second captures was blown out in the first run..and most photes has the trap well defined so the data is there somewhere.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 11-11-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Paul
Im a newbie to guiding and had trouble getting PHD2 guiding working for weeks but now its ok and I’m guiding most times under 1.50 arc sec error depending on seeing conditions etc..occasionally I lose the guide star ( still trying to sort that out )
Are you Ascom guiding direct to the mount or ST4 guiding via the camera to the mount ?
There’s a lot of help out there as well and IIS is a good start to air your issues and get some help
PHD2 have a forum as well to get help but I found websites, IIS , cloudy nights , astronomy books, chatting to my supplier to be most helpful
Good luck and by the way great images keep it up !!
I’m using Ascom. I get the sense it is probably a few different problems all intermingling. After doing some reading I think I may have overlooked how important a good star is for calibration and where those good stars should be chosen in the sky. So that’s step 1 I suppose, get a good calibration and then just let guiding assistant run and see what the logs say.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
Finally a clear night! Still can't get PHD2 to work, I have no idea what I'm doing and nothing seems to make it want to work. But rather than waste the first clear night in ages I went unguided. Managed 2 hours of 60s subs on M45 which skims my neighbours roof and 2 hours on M42. Had to dump half the M45 subs because of interference from the roof and the neighbours lights. I hadn't realised just how noisy a DSLR would be in this weather, the images have crazy hatched banding if I try and stretch, so I had to be very delicate. Not sure I succeeded but I'm happy as a first attempt. Hoping to get the same again tonight, so I'll be tired at work.
Very tidy shots!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Very tidy shots!
Thanks Marc.