Old 16-08-2014, 06:15 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Recommendations please on wide field scope

Hi all, inspired by some of the wide field images from Astrofest I am looking at a wide field scope.

I currently have a 925mm focal length refractor so have what I would call the "mid field" covered but I would like something wider probably a refractor around the 400-500mm range.

These are the things I would like, I realise I may not get the lot in any one scope:
  • 400-500mm focal length
  • As fast as possible
  • ability to take weight of an STT8300 CCD camera and filter wheel on the focuser and/or ability to take an automated focuser
  • Ability to project an image circle to allow coverage for a full frame DSLR
  • Flat frame across field
  • Ability to take a reducer to widen the field further
  • Decent dew shield
  • Decent optics
I have done a bit of research but I would appreciate feedback from those on the forum using wide field setups and what works for them and what they would do if acquiring a new wide field scope.

I have a decent mount for the setup to go on with plenty of capacity so no issue there.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Brett
Old 16-08-2014, 08:53 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

FSQ85. Simply a superb telescope. Reported Strehl around 0.98, which is pretty darned good! Flat, fast enough native at f/5.3, but you can drop that to 3.6 or something with the Q reducer. PERFECT build quality. Never been happier with a scope purchase.
Old 16-08-2014, 08:54 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Oh, and if you go the FSQ85 route, consider Louie (ATALAS) one in the trader - the dual speed focuser is VERY easy to fix, and should NOT need sending back to Takahashi.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

If price is not an issue then I'd agree with Lewis, go the Tak or maybe the TeleVue 85.

If budget is more of a concern, I'd consider the Orion ED80T CF. It has a carbon fibre OTA, 480mm FL (down to 384 with FR), FL-53, and the Crayford is robust when locked. As my first entry into the world of apos, I've been mightily impressed with mine. I'm now looking to expand in the other direction and get a 900mm FL medium FOV apo to add to my arsenal!
Old 16-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Barry, just get the FSQ106 and get the reducer and extender

This is an interesting question from the OP... the 85 seems to sit quite nicely in that spot
Old 16-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Paul Haese

This is a how long is a piece of string question.

I spent nearly 14 months on deciding on a new scope for my wide field imaging. I looked at compound scopes from a variety of manufacturers and in the end I went with tried and tested. The FSQ106. Even at f5 it is pretty fast. It is easy to keep dew free and easy to focus with and even has a reasonable back focus. All things that I needed. It just does not have a lot of aperture which is something I would have liked.

The choice depends on budget too I suppose but tried and tested is hard to beat.
Old 16-08-2014, 12:17 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I'd vote for a FSQ106 too, Brett. If you're serious and looking for a scope around 500mm focal length that won't ever need to be upgraded it's the one.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 16-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Appreciate you sharing your wisdom guys.

I can use my reducer/flattener on my FLT132 to get from 925mm to 740mm focal length. The 106 would get me to 530mm and 387mm with the reducer. I like the sound of f5 and f3.6, that should collect some photons fast.

I take it the stock focuser is fine with heavy loads?

What is the best way of automating the focusers on the Taks?

What else would I need to connect up the SBIB STT8300?

The pictures on the net seem to show a loooooooooong spacer coming out the back of the scope.

They don't miss you with the costs. That said the local dist site I found is not that much dearer than the US site. Does everyone buy their taks locally?

Brett

Brett
Old 16-08-2014, 05:24 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I use a FLI Atlas focuser with mine, Brett. I use the same focuser on several scopes. There are folks who use a Robofocus with the stock focuser who will be able to give you feedback on that option.

I bought my scope secondhand and adapters from a variety of places.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 16-08-2014, 06:54 PM
blink138 (Pat)

what about the tmb 92ss? native f5.5 with a 3.5 inch f/t focusser
vixen have a new 100mm f3.8 petzval
stellarvue have a new 100mm f5.8 petzval
pat
Old 16-08-2014, 07:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The new (actually, quite old, since it is a rehashed Pentax SDUF) Vixen VSD is quite a LOT more expensive than a new FSQ85, and still more than a NEW FSQ106EDXIII (unless you add the Q reducer, which makes them near identical in price and in f-ratio).

I LOVE Vixen products, but I would prefer an FSQ106 over the VSD in all honesty. I did recently contemplate importing a Pentax SDUF from Czechoslovakia, but decided on an FSQ85 instead.

As to robotic focus on Taks - a cinch. Either Robofocus (have specific adapter frames for the FSQ85 and 106) or Sharpsky Pro - little more awkward making the adaptation, but nothing unreasonably difficult. I am contemplating automating focus (AGAIN), and would likely go Sharpsky AGAIN.
Old 18-08-2014, 06:15 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
The new (actually, quite old, since it is a rehashed Pentax SDUF) Vixen VSD is quite a LOT more expensive than a new FSQ85, and still more than a NEW FSQ106EDXIII (unless you add the Q reducer, which makes them near identical in price and in f-ratio).

I LOVE Vixen products, but I would prefer an FSQ106 over the VSD in all honesty. I did recently contemplate importing a Pentax SDUF from Czechoslovakia, but decided on an FSQ85 instead.

As to robotic focus on Taks - a cinch. Either Robofocus (have specific adapter frames for the FSQ85 and 106) or Sharpsky Pro - little more awkward making the adaptation, but nothing unreasonably difficult. I am contemplating automating focus (AGAIN), and would likely go Sharpsky AGAIN.
i do not think it is just a "rehashed " version of the pentax at all, i think it is a FAR superior beast to that fast version
perhaps you say it is rehashed because they have a similar style focusser and lots of the big companies are petzval design now
i have read in the past non glowing reports on the pentax f4(?) with unacceptable aberations etcetera, it must be a pig of a design to get close to perfection but i dont think the pentax was one of them
pat