Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 30-06-2015, 05:43 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Transfer Data from internal Drive to External Drive Problems ? Help

Hi all,
I have recently upgraded my PC - Kept the box, powerplant, Disc reader/writer, and USB ports etc, Have kept my Oridginal 1TB as a Data Storage Hard Drive, Pre-Vista, but also have a 250G SSDrive with Win 7 for Operating Progs !

What Im trying to do is move all my Photos & astro photos from my Old 1TB drive to a 1TB external Drive - then format the old drive and use as storage, for said photos.

This is an attempt to recover all the space with-out the oridginal OP Vista System and all other crap on it - problem there is, The new W7 SSDrive PC doesnt recognise me as the administrator of the old drive, so I have to transfer everything I want - then formatt the old drive ?

Problem is the transferring of data (photos) is always jamming up due to ' not' recognizing a particular file - and there are plenty of them ??
Apparently there are some progs one can download to 'over-write' the execution of transfer But Ive been 'told' Lol, some are a bit technical for this duck
Is there something out there thats a bit simpler for the job I have at hand ?
Any insight there in ?
Thanx
Old 30-06-2015, 05:55 PM
acropolite (Phil)

You could try downloading the take ownership registry hack, I've used that in the past to get around W7 and 8's administrator issues.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/
Old 30-06-2015, 05:57 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx for that Phil, Ill give it a go , ,
Old 30-06-2015, 06:17 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Exclamation

Don't mind shortcuts, but it's difficult to learn much from a registry hack.

Suggest you try these instructions, as they are applicable for any recent version of windows...

http://www.techfleece.com/2011/05/15...re-hard-drive/
Old 30-06-2015, 06:25 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx again for your time Phil, tho Im not thinking this is whats needed, I suspect it definately work with individual files, but doubt I can use this when I have dropped and dragged a few folders amounting to 10-20gig onto the ex drive and wait, , then it Holds up for 10 mins before it tells me - no recognise file ? Then I have to search through them and guess which file to 'skip' and start again , , --
I dont have the option to double click anything in this mode - only to cancel and start over
Unless Im missing something ?
Still appreciated mate ?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
Don't mind shortcuts, but it's difficult to learn much from a registry hack.

Suggest you try these instructions, as they are applicable for any recent version of windows...

http://www.techfleece.com/2011/05/15...re-hard-drive/
Thanx for this OICURMT, interestingly I happened to find these windows of Permissions, users, full control last night, it helped move/delete some OP system files on the old hard-drive, but not all, , I will go through this link of yours in more detail later tonight and try deleting more that wont move the way im doing it (y)
In saying that, I may need to move photos I want to keep on the old drive to the external drive in smaller amounts as-well, - going to be a laborious and time consuming task, that for sure - but am getting there slowly
Kind Rgrds
Old 01-07-2015, 02:06 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

try "Ycopy" Bob

geoff
Old 01-07-2015, 03:06 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

Another way you can move a group of files without renaming a bunch of files is to put them into a zip file.. Just create a Zip file and throw them all in.. Move that zip to the new computer and extract.

geoff
Old 02-07-2015, 12:44 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

One of the main issues in shifting info between hard drives is the path name length. If you have nested folders within folders the UNC can exceed the 256 character limit. For the few occaisons I've been afflicted with this I've basically had a big cleanup of the source drive and then shifted folders complete from there from deeper within the nested group.
Means you can't quite duplicate the exact layout of the drive in it's new home but I normally find it needs a bit of sorting out anyway so it's a worth while exercerise albeit a bit time consuming.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM
cfranks (Charles)

If you using Window Explorer to do your copy, this might work! Try Right clicking on the icon and select 'Run as Administrator' then select your files and copy as before. My system is Windows 7 so the above might not be valid on another OS.
Old 15-07-2015, 11:51 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Sorry for the late one Geoff & Brent - I actually replied to this by Mo Ph about a week ago but, hmm, didnt make it ?
Anyway, I do appreciate the extra input
Will get onto this again when I finish a couple of projects happening at the moment ! Seems like Astro for this duck is in the closet these days, , but still need the PC sorted, getting there slowly, half way threw it - Zip file sounds good
Cheers & Rgrds
Old 26-07-2015, 07:53 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Update: Final conclusion ; The Old Hard-drive is on the blink Luckily, for now, I can still open images from there in progs eg PS, so I will be doing this for a while, then saving directly onto the SSDrive ! Ive just added another two SSDrives for photo storage

Being so many images to transfer, I'll only be keeping the best 10-20% of them, renaming as I go - slowly but surely I hope to get through them all, giving them priority from best 1st

Thanx all for the help and support here, much appreciated fellas