Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Jethro777 (Jethro)

Power Supply - What can I put together that is going to last?

I need a portable power supply for my HEQ5, two cams (guider and imager).
I don't like the idea of it dying and needing to be replaced entirely or thrown away after a few years.
Is there a recommendation you would have about what to do for power? Perhaps a good outside case with cigarette lighter / other attaches with enough amps and a deep cell battery?
I am located in Brisbane South-Side.
If you have a used one that works well and has life it it, also interested.
Old 16-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Jethro777 (Jethro)

I suppose a good battery box and battery might do?
Any recommendations? What do I look for so I don't regret the purchase down the track?
Old 16-05-2019, 08:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro777 View Post
I need a portable power supply for my HEQ5, two cams (guider and imager).
I don't like the idea of it dying and needing to be replaced entirely or thrown away after a few years.
Is there a recommendation you would have about what to do for power? Perhaps a good outside case with cigarette lighter / other attaches with enough amps and a deep cell battery?
I am located in Brisbane South-Side.
If you have a used one that works well and has life it it, also interested.
I use a120 amp hour 12 volt battery, charged by a 120 Watt solar panel or via a small Genny powering a cheap auto battery charger if there is no Sun but a clear night.

The battery runs a 200 Watt inverter and everything goes to a standard five place 240 volt Power outlet...if 12 volt is needed it comes via a 240 volt to 12 volt unit.

The battery and inverter stays in the back of the car as I Park Close to where I set up.
It has taken a while to arrive at this set up and no doubt it will probably change as time goes by...my reason for the 240 volt approach was to avoid various 12 volt leads coming from the battery and reduce the risk of putting bulldog clips on the battery the wrong way around.
I thought of a 12 volt box but the cost of can't stuff up attachments starts to make it expensive.

So far the 120 amp battery does the job...there is a cut out for low battery on the inverter but so far I have not run out of power..running..zwo guide cam, zwo mono cooled with filter wheel, heq 5 mount and a hungry lap top.

Just today I fixed the power point box to the tripod leg with some tape to shorten set up time...so not run in the field but it should work well.

I doubt that whatever you set up will be forever the first thing to worry about is to make it work and few opportunity to stuff up..like putting leads on around the wrong way ...

Alex
Old 16-05-2019, 08:39 PM
DarkArts

Faced with the same problem, I built my own; two of them. Adjustable from 12 to 18v, 150W, dew resistant, built-in voltmeter, multiple outlets (with choice of socket).

You could do the same ...
Old 16-05-2019, 09:00 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have a Jaycar 12V bench supply in a case with cables coming in through holes to DT connectors inside. The only issue I have had with it to date is the rubbish fan that came with the supply that was noisy from near new. I finally replaced it today.

I have a small SLA battery in parallel with the supply for star parties in case someone trips a breaker or kicks a cord out. It will keep it running (Intel NUC, EQ6 sized mount, camera cooler and SCT heater belt) for about half an hour.

Last edited by The_bluester; 17-05-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 17-05-2019, 04:58 AM
Jethro777 (Jethro)

Thanks for those replies!
It looks to me that I will get a deep cycle battery, and pop it in a battery box then.
So a 120 AMP battery seems to be the way to go, power-wise to allow for some growth?
I would love to see some pictures here.
What are some things that can go wrong / that you need to look for in a battery box?
Old 17-05-2019, 09:57 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I use RigRunner fused 12V powerboards on my gear. The plugs are polarised so you can't plug something in backwards.

I'd steer well away from cigarette lighter sockets if you're after a robust connection...

DT
Old 18-05-2019, 11:48 AM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

I'm going to get something like this when I finally pay off my HEQ6:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/24000mAh...AAAOSwaAdcw~Dp