Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Pharian (Christopher)

Leaving scope setup in the sun

Hi all,

Just wondering if it’s ok to leave my C8 telescope setup on the grass all day in the sun?

Basically, going away for a week with the scope, and would love to set it up anc then leave it setup during the day to save moving all the kit about and having to realign it etc.

Is it ok to leave it setup for a week, in full sun during the day? Anything I could do?

Cheers Chris
Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM
astro_nutt

Hi Chris.
I'd be more willing to have it set up and aligned, then peg the tripod legs into the ground. Remove the EQ section and optics from the tripod. It shouldn't be too hard to put it back together if you have alignment marks on the tripod.
Cheers1
Old 07-02-2018, 02:26 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Chris,

If the scope is exposed to direct sun all day it is going to get pretty hot, and will take longer to cool down. (But make sure you cover the objective, and the finder scope!) I personally would be reluctant to leave any scope in full sun all day, but it shouldn't damage it if it is only for a couple of days. It should be fine for the week if you cover it against direct sunlight, dust etc.

The cheapest fix is a tarp held on by bungee cords or a bit of rope, but there are commercial fixes available (eg: see: https://www.bintel.com.au/product-ca.../cases-covers/ - although these seem pretty expensive. Here is a US site with some good covers: https://www.astronomics.com/full-cov...opes_c406.aspx
Search "Desert Storm" dust covers for telescopes" to see what you can find or copy for a DIY.)

- and beware of wind: I have been to Astro Camps where scopes have been blown over...

All the best, and have a great week away! I'm jealous!!!

- Dean
Old 07-02-2018, 02:32 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I leave my scope set up quite often, especially at the QLD Astrofest. I just put a BBQ cover over it and then cover that with a cheap emergency blanket from KMart (a light reflective foil.) That keeps it relatively cool even in direct sunlight.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:49 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I've recently purchased a 365 scope cover from the US (thanks to astrofest raffle voucher ). It keeps everything dry during rain and keeps dust off everything. It's also somewhat insulated so it doesnt get too hot. one thing to note is that I had my DC power cable plugged in to the mount when i left it outside. It's now dead, cant tell you how scared I was thinking I bricked my mount. Anyways, the point is take off cables or plugs if you can.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:35 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

The most important thing when leaving your scope set up during the day is to make sure both the OTA and the finderscope are capped at the objective end, and optionally also parked so no direct sunlight can enter the scope or finder during the day (just in case a cap is dislodged).

The sun will fry the insides of the scope finder if it gets in directly. Seen it done. The owner wasn't happy!

So cap it, park it away from the sun and cover it with a tarp/scope cover/bike cover, etc.

Al.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Wavytone

A few issues to consider, for the sake of laziness:

1. If it’s in the sun the OTA will get quite hot, it will take ages to reach thermal equilibrium later if you want to use it to observe. Better to put a cover over it or store it someplace cool (ie indoors).

2. Remove all cables and electronics. These do not tolerate rain well.

3. Leaving a scope outside longer term means anything that isn’t glass or stainless steel will rust or corrode surprisingly quickly. Things like the little screws for aligning the finderscope, or attaching it to the OTA, screws for adjusting the secondary, the bolts in the fork and holding the OTA, bolts in the tripod and so-on. Things you think are stainless may turn out to be chrome plated steel (tripod legs) and while these survive typical nightly use, they will deteriorate and rust if left outside full time.

4. In a week or so you’d be surprised how much dirt settles out of the atmosphere on your scope. This will make it grubby, and the dust will get onto the optics. Cleaning then becomes a must with the risk of scratching the coatings on the corrector as outdoor grit is basically ground up rock, ie sharp and hard.

5. Longer term the heating/cooling cycle will promote humidity building up inside it at night when it cools. This will favour the fungus that grows on glass optics and once that takes hold your scope will be junk in a year or two.

In short the condition of your scope will deteriorate quickly outside, devaluing it.

An alternative solution - which I made when I had a big heavy 8” newtonian - is to make a garden trolley big enough to take the whole scope fully assembled on wheels, that can be easily moved in/out of cover. In my case I cannibalised the some broad plastic wheels off toddlers tricycle and they worked very nicely being wide enough to not sink into soft grass.

Last edited by Wavytone; 07-02-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Wilso

I would be inclined to remove the OTA myself. (Bugs, theft, moisture )
I use a umbrella cover for my steel pier that's in the weather 24/7 just use old rags underneath for moisture and a plastic bag over that.
Have also a patio heater cover that works a treat for my refractor if I set it up early in the day.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:56 PM
leon

My two cents worth, I wouldn't even consider it unless adequately covered.and then i would still worry all day, maybe leave the mount covered out there but bring in the Scope itself.

Leon
Old 07-02-2018, 06:09 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Yes those emergency blankets are great but they only last a couple of weeks if used often , but for the price who cares .

I have used them in the past over a white cotton sheet and the scope stays quite cool even in direct mid day sun .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I leave my scope set up quite often, especially at the QLD Astrofest. I just put a BBQ cover over it and then cover that with a cheap emergency blanket from KMart (a light reflective foil.) That keeps it relatively cool even in direct sunlight.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

I leave my mount outside 24/7. Been out under the events with a bbq cover and a few tarps and old blankets since November 2016 with zero issues.
Had my scope, a 6”f12 Refractor on it for days on end many of which have been high 30’s-low 40’s with no problems either.

As Brian mentioned I somet8es put a white sheet over the tube on the really hot days and bring in the electrics....Argo Navis and motor controller.

I’ll put the scope away if it looks like rain, even though I messed that one up a couple of times with no problems after everything dried out.

Last edited by MattT; 08-02-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:22 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Pictur attached is my tryhard "observatory", located at my Folk's house in the hills behind Townsville. Sitting on the pier is an old Celestron SLT mount from Ebay. The tracking head has sat there covered by a metal bucket and painter's sheet since October last year. The bucket protects from rain, and the sheet stops the dust. Worth noting that it gets to 36deg C during Summer. So far it's never disappointed us. Mum's 5" AstroFi OTA stays inside the house, and we just screw it onto the mount when needed.

Not sure how clever/long term this is, but we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (povo observatory.JPG)
185.6 KB85 views
Old 08-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Pharian (Christopher)

Awesome thanks for the tips guys! Very much appreciated.
Old 23-02-2018, 09:58 AM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

scope in sun

I leave my HEQ5 mount outside all the time. I have made a solid wood pier with 3 legs to mount it on which took 8 bags of cement and 10 10mm bolts to secure it. It is spot-on level and on to the hardwood base goes the HEQ5. I then made a plywood cover for the whole lot, gave it 3 coats of oil based gloss paint, (no water based rubbish for me!) and a good thick nylon rope to tie it down. I have left room for plenty of air flow around the mount. The only occasional trouble I have is the odd spider taking up residence - which is easily rectified with some surface spray.
The telescopes, eyepieces, battery, torches, of course, are living in pampered luxury in my existing super-secure potting shed
For sale: One tripod