Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Canon EOS-650D announced

Neat. First DSLR with a touch screen (swipe/pinch to select options as well as your focus point) and continuous focus in movie mode. All 9 focus points are cross-type sensors.

$849 US.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06...650D-Rebel-T4i

Brilliant.

H
Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 AM
gregbradley

Hard to be interested when mirrorless cameras these days are so exciting.

DSLRs to me are either the real high end where they are still the standout for the pro/enthusiast or the mirrorless which probably mostly outperform the lower DSLRs in most areas and are nice and compact.

Fuji Xpro 1, Sony Nex 7N are very exciting and fantastic mirrorless cameras although admitedly more expensive. No AA filter in the Fuji, a clever colour lens matrix system to emulate film and not require the blurring AA filter (( after the Nikon D800E I am a big fan of cameras with no AA filter)), superb lenses much better than DSLR lenses, image quality rivalling the very very top cameras, Sony Nex7 is 24mp. Even Roland Christen is posting images using a Nex 7 on his AP175 new scopes. Its the future for sure and a logical next step to mobile phone camera users.

There are a large number of cheaper mirrorless cameras this camera would have to compete with. Sony Nex 5N is pretty "cheap" now.
Canon, Nikon V1, Olympus, etc etc all with really high specs.

Autofocus for video is on my iphone and been on Nikons for quite a while and I am sure its been on the mirrorless ones for ages.

I wonder how this DSLR stacks up against similarly priced mirrorless and if Canon has made the performance difference enough to justify the bulky size, slow FPS etc? I suspect not.

I think the trend will be DSLRs will lose ground continuously and the future of the DSLR is more at the top end like 7D on up. And that the real high end will have to break past the 35mm sensor size in the next 6 years to medium format much like we are in astro cameras.

Just my opinion of course.

Greg.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:39 AM
leon

Hmmm, interesting read Greg, and although I'm no expert have to agree with some of your points.

Leon
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'm sorry, I just can't get excited about mirrorless cameras. They seem like toys to me.

I need the heft of a system in my hand and to be able to peer through a beautiful bright viewfinder to enjoy what /I/ do. Just my opinion.

H
Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

H find a OM-d5, handles nicely

Greg I also agree, I just want to use my Fuji x100- I know it's fixed at 35mm but it's just a pleasure to take pics with
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I'm sorry, I just can't get excited about mirrorless cameras. They seem like toys to me.

I need the heft of a system in my hand and to be able to peer through a beautiful bright viewfinder to enjoy what /I/ do. Just my opinion.
Mirrorless does not mean it can not be a DSLR. Is a Sony SLT-a77 a toy?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

That one doesn't look like a toy.

Still, I prefer the meatiness of my Canon gear (all three of my 5Ds have battery grips). Nothing like a gripped camera with a massive lens dangling off the front. I just love the weight and feel of it in my hand. As much as it does hurt the neck and back after a long day shooting a wedding.

I'm yet to see a shot out of a mirrorless camera that impresses me. Particularly skin tones.

H
Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM
hotspur (Chris)

could be a really handy tool for more dedicated movie work,I'd like to have a go with it with my 70-200 L when calling up dingos,the video footage could be good.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

It must have been a premonition I had last week when I was trying to use the LCD screen on the back of the 550D as a touch screen.
It caused much delight to others at the time.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM
mplanet62 (Michael)

Great camera to buy after a pocket camera or bridge one, but I won't be upgrading to it from 550 model. Same sensor, same image processor... Evolutionary changes. Thanks for info, though.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
That one doesn't look like a toy.
I just can't decide on an a77 or hang out for an a99 later in the year. The expected a99 price will probably decide it. Full frame, 24Mpx (same sensor as Nikon D800), similar body to a77 but larger, probably in the $2500-3000 range body only.

All the Alphas from a100 on can have battery grips. Also they have in-body image stabilisation.

They aren't as chunky as Canons and probably not as durable as EOS pro bodies, and Carl Zeiss glass for them is not cheap.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
I just can't decide on an a77 or hang out for an a99 later in the year. The expected a99 price will probably decide it. Full frame, 24Mpx (same sensor as Nikon D800), similar body to a77 but larger, probably in the $2500-3000 range body only.

All the Alphas from a100 on can have battery grips. Also they have in-body image stabilisation.

They aren't as chunky as Canons and probably not as durable as EOS pro bodies, and Carl Zeiss glass for them is not cheap.

D800 sensor is 36mp Sony Exmor sensor.

To make your choice harder perhaps the expected Nikon D600 would appeal. Expected to be full frame 24mp (not sure if Sony or Aptiva sensor) and price of aorund $1500.

In body image stabilisation sounds like a good feature.

Greg.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM
gregbradley

Still, I prefer the meatiness of my Canon gear (all three of my 5Ds have battery grips). Nothing like a gripped camera with a massive lens dangling off the front. I just love the weight and feel of it in my hand. As much as it does hurt the neck and back after a long day shooting a wedding.

I'm yet to see a shot out of a mirrorless camera that impresses me. Particularly skin tones.

H[/QUOTE]

Yes but you really are a pro so not really the target market for a 650D.

I haven't shot with a mirrorless myself but I am intrigued by the Fuji XPro 1 camera. The images from that are stunning. Rivals Canon and Nikon bigtime yet it also has excellent low light performance.
But this is more expensive than a 650D so not a fair comparison.

I thought Pentax K5 was king of APS DSLRs? But its more expensive again. Also Pentax has that clever star track system for its sensor so you can do long exposures without a mount.

Greg.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

The swing out screen on the 650D would be nice and could help with composing some of those hard to get at shots. Still, I've only had the 550D for 18 months, bit hard to justify upgrading so soon. Maybe I can give the 550D to my wife. Hmmm, I may have to work on this.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
D800 sensor is 36mp Sony Exmor sensor.

To make your choice harder perhaps the expected Nikon D600 would appeal. Expected to be full frame 24mp (not sure if Sony or Aptiva sensor) and price of aorund $1500.

In body image stabilisation sounds like a good feature.
Rereading the "rumour", the 24Mpx chip was supposed to be in a prototype. The production one is supposed to be 36Mpx as in the D800.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

lol would love to get one but haven't got the coin It is great news the the digi 5 is now out of the box and i can see the 1200D being released soon to update the now dating 1100D. The 1200D will be my flavour as its will be used for prime focus only and a little tripod work.
Some good points greg, lol i agree alot but i buy the cannon eso budget kings for software support. I look at noise and sensor size, features are useless to me because its all done via bye or cannon utils. Show me a mirrorless that can do what a eso can do, over usb 2 at a better price and ill show you my next camera haha.
You can always remove the LP filter aka anti aliasing, lol i would with my 1100D though i cbf putting a clear in place. Thats another great thing about budget dslr you can hack them up and wont cry so much when they break. Hell at the moment i'am TEC cooling mine and then it will chew up some of the best.
Another thing budget dslrs are running rings around 3-4yrd high end models now, its all apart of tech advancements. I think people are crazy paying D800's when they will be obsolete within a coupe of years. Though its each to his own, haha I have spent thousands upon thousands, on highend pc hardware over the yrs, only to see it end up sold for next to nothing.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

You pay big bucks for sensor real estate.

The high-end (prosumer/professional) models have far superior image quality and noise characteristics (both at the pixel level) than the consumer models.

That's not to say that they can't take beautiful pictures -- they can. But, once you've held and used a prosumer/professional system, there's really no going back.

H
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
gregbradley

I am not sure about the connectivity of mirrorless. You may be right and it may not be so easy to tether them to a computer. I'd have to check that aspect out. I was referring more to their compactness and overall feature list that often exceeds budget DSLRs. Things like 10 frames per second, HD video with AF, HDMI out, high MP high quality sensors like Nex 7's 24mp or Fuji XPro 1 special hi tech sensor which matches full frame for quality.

Its true hi tech gadgets lose value very heavily. That weighed on my mind when buying one. You want to get one early in the product cycle so you at least have it for a few years before its no longer newest and latest.

Still my D800E is the most fun and exciting camera I've gotten to date and I am very happy with it. Its still the current worlds best camera!
(a few Canon owners will disagree but its all part of the fun!).

Greg.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Yep, disagreed.

H
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Its true hi tech gadgets lose value very heavily. That weighed on my mind when buying one. You want to get one early in the product cycle so you at least have it for a few years before its no longer newest and latest.
This is why I now have a super healthy respect for Leica. They don't bother with all the junk. They just take beautiful images in normal conditions and let you get on with composing rather than trying to find why button X isn't doing what it should according to menu item 53-4 when light falls below Y lux... they just let you get on with it. No zooms, nothing more advanced than aperture priority - and that's because focus can't be controlled other than by your index finger.