Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Collimation Tools Recommendation

Well I said I would never do it .. but I did .. I purchased (spontaneous purchase) a mirrored scope .. Newtonian 10" f4.8 to be exact. The secondary was removed and shipped separate for safe shipping so now I am presented with the challenge of collimating this scope. Previous owner used a Howie Glatter Laser, TuBlug and Crosshair eyepiece. Doing a bit of online research threw up many options so time to seek advice from those that are more experience. Do I go down the Howie Glatter path or would the Catseye collimation system be a better option.
Old 15-08-2019, 09:00 PM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

Hi Hans, I would say from my own experience with my 12 inch Dobsonian you don't need any of those expensive tools. I just use the SkyWatcher Newtonian Collimation Eyepiece to align the secondary and primary mirrors and finish off with a star test on a bright star to fine tune the primary, works perfectly well for me and only cost about $60.
Old 15-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I use both, first the 2” Glatter laser for secondary adjustments, then the laser in a tuBlug for the primary and finish off with the Catseye Cheshire and autocollimator for fine tuning....
Old 15-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I use a £20 laser collimator and have done for YEARS

Just ensure the collimator is collimated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6R2InWjFbQ
Old 16-08-2019, 05:35 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

The Howie Glatter solution is dead simple and when used makes it easy to see from the adjusting end of the scope.

The Catseye gear is top notch and very accurate.

The Orion (or similar) collimating eyepiece is simple, has no moving parts and requires no batteries.

Have used them all successfully. All have merits...

Currently in a Howie Glatter solution cycle...

Can not go wrong with any of them...if you do go the laser route make sure it is a high quality one.
Old 16-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Paul Haese

Hans, everything depends on what you intend to do with the OTA. If you are viewing, then hi precision collimation is less critical. If you are imaging then you will need the ability to collimate to a high level.

The basic tools you will need are a sight tube, a cheshire and laser. Those will get you good collimation. For higher precision work you'll need a good laser and a full cats eye collimation kit. All good tools and ones you will keep forever.