Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Processing Question

I have not read anything about this but the idea kind of surfaced today. I was thinking about how Ha data is often blended with luminance to enhance those Ha regions. Would a similar idea work using a single colour channel, such as blue, to help bring out blue data when blended with luminance?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

The blue data should already be in the luminance along with everything else. Blending the blue data with luminance would likely just degrade the luminance.

The reason it can work well with Ha (or any narrowband) is that you get strong SNR areas where there is stuff but not much anywhere else. Blending Ha does by definition degrade the Lum data to an extent by reducing anything that the Ha doesn't add to, like stars.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The blue data should already be in the luminance along with everything else. Blending the blue data with luminance would likely just degrade the luminance.

The reason it can work well with Ha (or any narrowband) is that you get strong SNR areas where there is stuff but not much anywhere else. Blending Ha does by definition degrade the Lum data to an extent by reducing anything that the Ha doesn't add to, like stars.
Except that one of the ways HA is blended with luminance is with a "lighten" layer in PS, thus only showing through where the HA is brighter than the Lum.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Appreciate both replies!

I might just try this to see what happens. I'm trying to bring out the extended blue halo around NGC235. If I could enhance that, even if the rest of the luminance is trashed I could blend just the part I want into a final image. Great, more hours processing in uncharted waters...

Peter