Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
h0ughy (David)

Lenses for Conon EOS - whats the best lens for sharp widefields?

Ok what is the best lens for the canon?

1. for wide fields?
2. for closer stuff like comets, moon, deep space?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

How wide is wide?

The 17-40L is among the best ou there. Thousands of good reviews from those who own them. I want one. Tony had one. He sold it. I won't forgive him.

RB has a 200mm that is awesome for deeper stuff. Not sure of it's exact model. I'm sure he'll tell you.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Lester

Good thing you didn't mention price restrictions, coz the best would have to be the Flourite type lenses, speak to Bert.
Old 19-07-2006, 01:55 PM
gbeal

Sorry Houghy, just stumbled onto this thread.
I have always liked primes, but the practicalities of the zoom sent me that way.
I have the 20D, and bought the 17-40 f4L series, and the 70-200 f4L series, both from an online dealer in Ozzie. They are superb. Yes, Canon make f2.8 equivilents, but they come at a cost, both to the wallet, and the back. They are bigger, heavier, and more expensive.
I might add that I use them about 50/50, night, and terrestrial (image library).
I used the 17-40 (at the 17 end) for the Milky Way rising above the hanger, and also the across the sky mosiac. For comets and tighter stuff etc I have used the 70-200, sometimes at the short end, sometimes at the longer end.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but buy the best you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ScorpSagRising-stack-web.jpg)
87.2 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (Kiwi_Web_V2.jpg)
137.6 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (Comp_Web.jpg)
116.6 KB52 views
Old 19-07-2006, 02:26 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I second that. I have the 17-40 F4 L and 70-200 F4 L. Have had them both from back when I had my film EOS 300. They both give perfect images. If only telescopes showed so little distortion and false colour.

I also chose these over the F2.8's - I couldn't justify the weight or the cost of F2.8. The 70-200L is very compact for it's quality and zoom range. The weight makes them great for piggyback photography, although my purchase of them was for daytime landscape/nature stuff.

As it turns out their zoom ranges are great for astro photography. Lots of great astro images with them sofar.

The 17-40L is weather sealed so it's water resistant (not proof) and dust proof. The 70-200L F4 is not, you need the 70-200 F2.8L IS to get the weather seals on that.

Roger.
Old 19-07-2006, 02:52 PM
gbeal

OK, a shameless plug http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/
Mark Hansen was the guy, and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending him. It was a great deal, and the goods were equally good.
I might point out as well, I have no affiliation whatsoever with him/them.
Old 19-07-2006, 03:51 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Oh one thing I don't like about these lenses - they don't stop at infinity. I don't understand why, but I am guessing it's common in new lenses. Something to do with infra-red photograpy? My old Pentax ones do stop at infinity and so I never had focus issues doing astro photography with them.

Roger.
Old 19-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Whats the Canon 200mm F2.8 lense like...looks to be well priced for a fast fixed length lense...????Around $1000
Old 20-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Jonathan

Houghy, how about a 35mm f/2.0? 1/3 the price of the 17-40L f/4 and 1/4 the exposure time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg
Oh one thing I don't like about these lenses - they don't stop at infinity. I don't understand why, but I am guessing it's common in new lenses. Something to do with infra-red photograpy? My old Pentax ones do stop at infinity and so I never had focus issues doing astro photography with them.

Roger.
Hi Roger. One reason for this is that ED (Canon call it UD I think) glass changes size slightly with temperature so the position of infinty on the focus ring can change depending on the temperature. Only 1 of my lenses stops at infintity and it's a non-ED glass lens, the rest go past infinity, the longer the focal length the further past it goes.
Old 20-07-2006, 01:40 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Hi Roger. One reason for this is that ED (Canon call it UD I think) glass changes size slightly with temperature so the position of infinty on the focus ring can change depending on the temperature. Only 1 of my lenses stops at infintity and it's a non-ED glass lens, the rest go past infinity, the longer the focal length the further past it goes.
Hence the need to check focus throughout the night if your imaging all night.
It's not a basic set and forget.
As temp changes so does focus.

Old 20-07-2006, 06:20 PM
fringe_dweller
on the highway to Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg

Roger.
I'm with you, I regret the trend towards this type of 'infinity' no doubt a boon for laptop sales and relative software and people who love things to be as complex as possible - but a PITA IMO
I thought it was something to do with the macro craze - (damn flower pll) macro being the 'new infinity'
Old 21-07-2006, 04:42 PM
CometGuy

The Canon 200mm f2.8 L is superb. It costs less than $1000 to get from overseas and is well worth the money IMO.

The other gem is the Canon 50mm f1.8, the cheapest lens in their line up but very sharp .

Of the zooms I have heard good things about 70-200 f4.

Don't know too much about the wider angles, although I have heard the 24mm f2.8 is a good performer for astrophotography.

I have assumed you're not wanting to spend megabucks as there are better lens but you have to pay (i.e the Canon 200 f1.8L costs around $5000 SECONDHAND).

Terry