Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 12-08-2019, 10:07 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Great shot David. It was beautiful to capture with my organic camera. Unfortunately nobody has found a way to transfer the image to SD card yet! Still the views of Saturn being occulted and even just being so close to the moon provides an amazing realisation of the mechanics of the solar system.
Old 13-08-2019, 12:42 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Well that was a most interesting occultation, when's the next one. So many excellent images from earlier tonight, well done to everyone that posted them.
After all the planning and anticipation I managed to muck things up. For reasons unknown I stuffed up polar alignment and by the time I managed to get the scope aimed in the right direction, ingress had already started but did manage to get some video.
For reappearance I got the position on the limb wrong and was looking too far north and by the time I realised that I should be seeing Saturn and went hunting along the limb for it, it had already fully reappeared. then getting the adequate exposure of the planet with the bright limb was trickier than anticipated.
But at least I saw most of it on screen and managed some video for processing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190812 18_35_30 - 3.jpg)
111.6 KB37 views
Old 13-08-2019, 05:39 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Okay, after a good night’s sleep I managed to grab some single frame screen grabs and have shown the “Raw” and “Processed” versions for both the ingress and egress phases.

These show quite graphically the difference between "as seen" and "as processed".

The Moon’s limb really rushed up to Saturn (I was tracking on Saturn) and sometimes AS!3 would Align on Saturn, producing a stack with multiple offset lunar limb images and an aligned Saturn, and sometimes it would Align on the lunar limb and produce multiple offset Saturn images.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ingress Screen Capture Crop 1280.jpg)
143.6 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (Saturn Moon Ingress Crop 1280.jpg)
188.2 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (Saturn Moon Egress Raw Frame Crop.jpg)
92.0 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (Saturn Moon Egress Crop 1280 A.jpg)
186.8 KB62 views

Last edited by Dennis; 13-08-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 13-08-2019, 07:27 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Okay, after a good night’s sleep I managed to grab some single frame screen grabs and have shown the “Raw” and “Processed” versions for both the ingress and egress phases.

These show quite graphically the difference between "as seen" and "as processed".

The Moon’s limb really rushed up to Saturn (I was tracking on Saturn) and sometimes AS!3 would Align on Saturn, producing a stack with multiple offset lunar limb images and an aligned Saturn, and sometimes it would Align on the lunar limb and produce multiple offset Saturn images.

Cheers

Dennis
Crème de la crème mate! Sub zero cool.

Now... me trying to put together my videos.
Old 13-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Great shots and observation reports everyone! Fabulous to see/hear so many different perspectives on the same event.

I've posted one of my images in the Solar System section.

Quote:

Cheers

Dennis
They are simply awesome Dennis.

Last edited by Retrograde; 13-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

For the egress composition, the lunar disc was completely blown out, 100% white with no alignment features.

So, for the composition, I had to match the profile of the lunar limb on the correctly exposed Saturn image with that of the correctly exposed lunar image, by "blinking" the 2 frames and adjusting their overlap.

This morning I had an idea to do the same with a screen capture from The Sky X Pro, just to double check that my positioning was accurate.

Here is the animation of a Sky X Pro screen capture and my composite showing a very good correlation.

Pity I did not record any BG stars like The SKy Pro X.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn-Moon-Egress-Crop-1280-A-The-Sky-Overlay-800.gif)
199.5 KB45 views
Old 13-08-2019, 03:45 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
For the egress composition, the lunar disc was completely blown out, 100% white with no alignment features.

So, for the composition, I had to match the profile of the lunar limb on the correctly exposed Saturn image with that of the correctly exposed lunar image, by "blinking" the 2 frames and adjusting their overlap.

This morning I had an idea to do the same with a screen capture from The Sky X Pro, just to double check that my positioning was accurate.

Here is the animation of a Sky X Pro screen capture and my composite showing a very good correlation.

Pity I did not record any BG stars like The SKy Pro X.

Cheers

Dennis
Your background bitmap looks better than the skyX
Old 13-08-2019, 03:47 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Here's a quick cut of the interesting bits for the ingress over my roof. I thought I'd miss it but it cleared the gutter earlier than expected. It starts a little jittery but settles down when the occultation starts. Captured SER 16bit at around 9fps, playback is 25fps 1080.

Old 13-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Quote:

Cheers

Dennis
Great work there Dennis - your processed egress image has now become my latest desktop background image.

Last edited by Multiverse; 13-08-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 13-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Here's a quick cut of the interesting bits for the ingress over my roof. I thought I'd miss it but it cleared the gutter earlier than expected. It starts a little jittery but settles down when the occultation starts. Captured SER 16bit at around 9fps, playback is 25fps 1080.

Excellent work Marc, what magic dust did you sprinkle on your Tak mirror to manage the huge dynamic range difference.

Your Saturn looked a bit steadier than the live views on my screen in Brisbane; up here is was wobbling like a jelly (my wife's comment ).

Such an exciting event and your excellent animation brings it to life - well done, a lot of work in preparation and processing.

It was interesting to see what appears to be a slightly more slanted angle of ingress from your location - I wonder if this is the result of our different imaging locations, sort of a parallax effect.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 13-08-2019, 06:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Excellent work Marc, what magic dust did you sprinkle on your Tak mirror to manage the huge dynamic range difference.
I wish I had some magic dust, I would have used it on the egress. I just tweaked the capture frame rate trying to see Saturn while keeping some details on the limb. If I had to do it again I would under expose Saturn. It's easier to lighten up than deal with burnt data.

Quote:
Your Saturn looked a bit steadier than the live views on my screen in Brisbane; up here is was wobbling like a jelly (my wife's comment ).
And I thought mine was wobbly. How did you get so much details.
Quote:
Such an exciting event and your excellent animation brings it to life - well done, a lot of work in preparation and processing.

It was interesting to see what appears to be a slightly more slanted angle of ingress from your location - I wonder if this is the result of our different imaging locations, sort of a parallax effect.

Cheers

Dennis
Yeah I wondered about that too. I could correlate Alex's limb details in his wideshot but not yours. Angle was also different. There is 7 degrees difference in latitude.
Old 13-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I wish I had some magic dust, I would have used it on the egress. I just tweaked the capture frame rate trying to see Saturn while keeping some details on the limb. If I had to do it again I would under expose Saturn. It's easier to lighten up than deal with burnt data.

And I thought mine was wobbly. How did you get so much details.

Yeah I wondered about that too. I could correlate Alex's limb details in his wideshot but not yours. Angle was also different. There is 7 degrees difference in latitude.
Hi Marc

Problem solved; I plugged Brisbane then Sydney into The Sky 6 Pro and it showed the effects of geographical location and local solar time differences.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Brisbane Sydney comparison B.jpg)
89.9 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Brisbane Sydney comparison S.jpg)
125.1 KB34 views
Old 13-08-2019, 06:35 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Cool. Big difference. Must have taken longer for us too. Shallower angle.
Old 13-08-2019, 09:28 PM
h0ughy (David)

another shot processed
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (moon-2019-08-12-18-34-34_l4_ap13303_houghy.jpg)
166.1 KB45 views
Old 14-08-2019, 06:45 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
another shot processed
Nice one mate.
Old 14-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
another shot processed
Good capture Dave, I like how this image shows more clearly the dramatic difference in perceived size of Saturn and our Moon.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 14-08-2019, 07:28 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Good capture Dave, I like how this image shows more clearly the dramatic difference in perceived size of Saturn and our Moon.

Cheers

Dennis
There are a lot of people with great captures. The scope and camera make the difference. Lol I mismatched mine completely. Getting a framerate with a nice proportion would have taken planning. Not setup something the afternoon of the event. Your camera looks to be the goods for this. Seeing the other shots on facebook and this site shows some great shots which still begs the question as to what is the best way to grab that scenic view
Old 14-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
There are a lot of people with great captures. The scope and camera make the difference. Lol I mismatched mine completely. Getting a framerate with a nice proportion would have taken planning. Not setup something the afternoon of the event. Your camera looks to be the goods for this. Seeing the other shots on facebook and this site shows some great shots which still begs the question as to what is the best way to grab that scenic view
Hi Dave

As astronomy is for me at least, a hobby and a (mostly) pleasurable pursuit, in my opinion there is no “perfect” ‘scope/camera – just the one(s) you have, enjoy setting up, recording an event with and then processing the results.

I have enjoyed seeing all the posts here, with each one providing a different view on this exciting conjunction. I really appreciate all those different views, as I only had the one based on my particular ‘scope/camera, so would have missed the variety seen here.

Providence was kind to me for this event; Marc e-mailed me to alert me, I had a couple of hours to plan and set up, the skies were clear, the Moon just cleared the tree line for the ingress phase, I had no equipment failures, etc.

It is also good to hear of the difficulties and setbacks from the community, as these are not easy events to record; to read of others experience all adds to the knowledge base for the next event.

We are not on social media, so I haven’t seen any Facebook results, etc. We enjoy the quiet life.

Cheers

Dennis