Old 15-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Star Hunter

NexGuide AG: Anyone using them?

I would like to know if these units are any good or same as the Lacerta M-Gen AG's?

Has anyone used a NexGuide AG? Are they only for NexStar mounts or can it be used on any GEM?

The only ones I've come across so far that DON"T rely on a PC are the Lacerta M-Gen, NexGude and the SG-4 from SBIG.

So what's the go on them? Which one do YOU recommend and why?

Thanks,

James

Last edited by Star Hunter; 16-06-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 20-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Hello James,

I use a nexguide with a orion shorttube to guide a 9.25 sct. As far as I know it will guide any mount. I have a CGEM.
Sometimes it guides okay - other times I get drift, which I think is probably caused by differential flexure. The main problem with my set-up is that the nexguide only guides to a single pixel at best - and connecting to a PC for guiding isn't an option. I am guiding 2350mm focal length with a 400mm focal length guidescope - so any imperfections in guiding are magnified by about 6 times. Sometimes I get round stars - sometimes not. The best I have done is 4 minute exposures.
Also the 4d cell battery pack that comes with it only lasts about 2 - 3 hours at best. Apart from those issues it does work fairly well - I just need more clear skies so I can get more opportunity to play around with the settings.
The positive is that it is stand alone and fairly easy to use. Sometimes it is hard to find a guide star - but is easier with practice. I'm not familiar with any other AG. If your imaging FL is not too much higher than your guiding FL then it is probably worth trying it. I think the PC based AGs are sub-pixel and from what I have read they will definetely give better results.

Regards,
Tony.