Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 17-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

Tracking mount for photography (no telescope)

Via a post at photo.net forum I found the following products, which put a tracking mount within reach financially for me. Can anyone advise me on which would be the best to get. And are there any other extras I would need if I bought any of these?

it will be a few months before I can afford it anyway so I'm doing my research now. I'd love to have something like this for the next lunar eclipse so my interval shots all lined up nicely - I had to keep adjusting the tripod to keep the moon in frame.

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/pro...ctId=9055#tabs AND Orion EQ-1M Electronic Telescope Drive

Orion AstroView Equatorial Telescope Mount

Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial Telescope Mount
Old 17-06-2011, 12:34 PM
astroboy

Hi Odille
The mounts you list are very common in Australia under other brand names often called CG5 EQ5 EQ3 etc they will be fine for keeping the moon in the frame but if you are wanting to do long ( over 60" ) exposures with camera lenses you will need something better .
I use a Kenko Skymemo ( when traveling ) which works well with lenses up to 300mm for up to 300" Takahashi also make good mounts but they are both expensive ( $1000 ish new )
So if you are going to use something like the mounts you list they will be fine for : short exposures ( under 5" ) with telephotos or : medium exposures ( under 60" ) with standard lenses .
You will find plenty of those mounts available secondhand here with a big saving .

Zane
Old 21-06-2011, 06:57 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

The eq1 is fairly flimsy & would take a lot of perseverance (some would say wasting your time). An eq3 is quite acceptable to take some decent exopsures, you could easily get 1min at 200-300mm f/l with good polar alignment
Old 22-06-2011, 07:08 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Odille, for what you are trying to achieve (photography with DSLR and lenses) the Astrotrac would probably be better (but more expensive) option.

h0ughy was so impressed with one he bought second hand that he bought another new.

Like all mounts it needs polar alignment but you can mount it on a standard tripod with a sturdy head (I think Sir h0ugh used a manfrotto 055 from memory) I seem to remember that our friend Luis (IIS user luigi) from Beunos Aries also uses an Astrotrac with good results.

Details here.

A link to Luis' website