Old 23-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Tips for Cleaning a CCD Sensor

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has a good method of removing very small spots off the CCD cover in front of the sensor on a toucam?

I have been struggling with what seems like dust but on closer inspection are minute spots which dont want to come off with a cotton bud dipped in distilled water. I have tried watered down turps (works extremely well on windows)

I have shined my head torch onto the sensor while I clean it and can see the MASSIVE dust and hairs left by this if I am not careful but no how hard I try or what method I try, I can't seem to remove them completely.

When I feel like there is less of them it turns out I am just creating spots elsewhere on the glass like cover and its driving me batty. I have tried NOT cleaning after applying the watered down turps and can see it evaporating on the PC screen through the camera but this doesnt help.

Anyone help me out here please?

Thanks

Chris.
Old 24-06-2009, 04:17 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I'm not sure what you could do for stubborn spots like that. The q-tip with distilled water usually works for me when I need to remove dust from my CCD.

I think there's an alcohol-based solution you could try which might have a bit more "removing" power?
Old 24-06-2009, 04:43 AM
gbeal

Send it to Leon, LOL. IIRC a few years back he actually tried to punish his chip (Canon I think) but couldn't. Alcohol like meths seems to work.
Gary
Old 24-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hmmmm, thanks Gary and Mike,

I might try some good old fashioned windex like glass cleaner as it seems there is a glass cover over the CCD chip itself so I shouldnt do any damage. I have already tried metho so windex shouldnt kill it.

If it does I may just have to buy a DMK or similar hey?

Thanks

Chris