Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 11-06-2019, 09:34 AM
glend (Glen)

Jupiter Opposition, GRS and Europa Transit all tonight

If you check out Sky Safari you will notice that between 9:12 and 10:12pm tonight there is a feast of Jupiter observational activity. It starts with a GRS transit beginning, then Europa Transit, then Europe's shadow transit, all in that one hour period. With Jupiter at opposition today, there will never be a better time to park yourself at the EP with a warming beverage, to enjoy the events.

Clear sky in NSW tonight (mostly).

Sorry for those of you under cloud tonight.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Unfortunately the jetstream is not being nice to us tonight, in the 70 / 90 knots range, so the seeing will be crap. Will still be having a look though and if by some quirk of nature, the seeing is better than forecast, will try and grab some video too.
Imaged the Red Spot last night, well this morning actually and now need to do some processing. Around 1:00 / 2:00 am the seeing was reasonable so now to see what I captured.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM
doug mc

Beautiful view from up here. Watched the moon approach the limb of Jupiter and pass in front. Shadow close behind. Shadow and moon close to merging. The GRS was moving towards the limb of the planet, and looked smaller than usual.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:20 AM
glend (Glen)

Doug were you using the Cass? I saw pretty much the same thing last night, the GRS and Europa Transit. The apparent angle of incident between Europa and it's shadow on the surface is a good indicator of opposition alignment I think. Seeing was just ok here but i found that pushing my iStar 127mm f12 with a barlow didn't give me better clarity on the events, and the dew didn't help, but a good night anyway.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

The seeing here was better than the forecast suggested but didn't set up the camera gear, just visual with the 10" dob. Watching the Red Spot transiting and Europa getting closer and then begin transiting too, closely followed by the shadow. Somehow managed to spend a few hours at the eyepiece watching it all unfold.
One trick I did try was using an Baader UHC filter which really highlighted the equatorial cloud bands though turning the rest of Jupiter a duck egg blue colour.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:17 PM
doug mc

The cass is all i have to observe. Seeing made it a bit harder to see Europa once it was in front of Jupiter, but in good moments it popped.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:24 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Gorgeous view last night of this event from my home in Sydney.

I was able to make out the smallest disk of Europa, and it was a wee bit brighter than the background Jupiter, and more creamy/yellowish in hue. Ganymede was decidedly larger in angular size, with Io and Calisto roughly the same size.

Lovely intricate cloud formations within the GRS, different hues as well, and very intricate details in the equatorial belt leading out from the GRS, and petering out as it eventually meets up again with the GRS.

Saturn - OMG! Just stunning! So detailed and colourful! I've never seen such soft tonal variation in the C ring alone! The Enke Division was resolveable by the time I packed up. And surrounded by a hord of firefly-like satellites.

Seeing was ok when I started around 9:00pm, and gradually improved until I finished at 11:30pm.

Was using my 7" Intes Mak, with 300X being a magnification sweet spot.

Can't wait until Saturn's opposition next month

Alex.
Old 13-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Our one clear night here in Cairns for the past month happened to coincide with this event... & what a joy to behold...

8" Meade SCTs & a selection of Fujiyama orthos made for a lovely nights viewing. The brightness of it made it difficult to pull out detail but, trying a few filters improved that situation. 80A blue proved most useful, never thought of trying the UHC.

As seeing improved I found a sweet spot at approx 220x...

Handset problems started to spoil the remainder of the nights plans although I did manage some views of Saturn for a short period.

Very enjoyable viewing all round...
Old 18-06-2019, 05:23 PM
ckpacc (Sergey)

We are under cloudy nights here in Melbourne
Old 19-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Bobbyoutback

Just grabbed a 4" F/5 for a quick peek , Wow
Could see good detail even at only 50 magnification with one of the moons just clearing the disk .

Just to lazy to set up my bigger scope

Bobby