Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM
johneez1 (John)

FLI ML8300 Shutter vs Vincent 45mm Shutter

Hi guys, John Whitby from New Zealand here..Does anyone know which is the the best shutter for an FLI Microline ML8300 mono camera?
There have been two shutter assemblies fitted at FLI at various times for the ML8300. One is the FLI shutter with 4 blades and the other is a Vincent 45mm shutter with 5 blades (in a slightly larger housing). If anyone can comment on the performance of these two shutters I would be very grateful.
Cheers, John Whitby.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM
johneez1 (John)

Here are photos of the two FLI ML8300 cameras I currently have. I have just started using the one with the Vincent 45mm shutter assembly (larger front assembly) and my original one (pictured on my rig is currently being serviced at FLI.
So far the only real difference I can detect is the Vincent 45mm shutter, which has an extra shutter leaf, is quieter in operation.
As per my original post, I am curious as to what is the actual difference in performance of theses two shutter assemblies, I'm hoping someone on this forum has some knowledge on this particular camera.

Cheers John Whitby, New Zealand
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (JW Cam1 FLI ML8300.jpg)
189.8 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (JW Cam2 FLI ML8300 with Vincent Shutter.jpg)
177.8 KB34 views
Old 09-08-2016, 03:12 PM
gregbradley

I had/have 2 Microlines. The 8300 and the ML16. The ML 16 is brand new and has a 43mm shutter. Its black and its quieter. The ML8300 had an uncoated shiny shutter and it was a bit noisier. Both work really well.

I don't see either as being an issue but prefer the black one as its black and quieter. But I never had a problem with the shiny one.
One possible slight advantage is for flats. It may be the newer one allows flats with shorter durations than 3 seconds before shutter shading ruins them. Not 100% sure of this but it may be.

My Proline has a black shutter and it has more leaves than 5. I haven't counted them but it would be about 8. Its very smooth. Again no problems.

I'd contact FLI for more info as its really outside general knowledge.

Greg.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:50 PM
johneez1 (John)

Thanks Greg.
I will try taking some flats with the newer Vincent shutter (which has 5 black shutter leaves) to see if it is easier/quicker for flats. Unfortunately we are experiencing a lot of cloud here in NZ and I have only been able to do a couple of test shots with this camera.
I will take your advice and ask FLI directly. Thanks again for your input.

Cheers, John Whitby
Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 PM
atalas

I haven't been as fortunate as Greg with the ML8300 shutter.

It went back for shutter blade replacement 4 years ago and now again I have sticking shutter blades,and playing the waiting game to get new ones built...they don't keep them in stock

Go with the new blades they are reported to be quiet and longer lasting.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 PM
gregbradley

Hi Louie,

Were the problematic shutters the unpainted shiny ones? I must say SBIG's even illumination shutter is more foolproof and a better design.

Greg.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:19 PM
atalas

Hi Greg

Yes mate,that's them....the new ones I believe are teflon coated ones and not so prone to sticking.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:13 AM
johneez1 (John)

Hi Louie
Thanks for that. My Cam 1 (the one currently being serviced) has the unpainted shiny blades which had an ongoing sticking problem despite cleaning and de-burring as per FLI's recommendations to me.
I eventually sent the camera back for service for an intermittent fault in the electronics that stopped the camera from connecting. It looks like FLI are now replacing the electronics and I haven't had confirmation of the shutter diagnosis yet, so it is going to be a very expensive service.
However I still have faith in the product and believe that the FLI ML8300 is the best 8300 chipped camera out there.

Cheers John Whitby
Old 10-08-2016, 10:10 AM
atalas

Hi John

Well,I've been lucky in that I've never had any electronics problems with It(touch wood)just the shutter issue....hopefully newly disigned shutters will resolve that.