Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 10-12-2017, 03:49 AM
glend (Glen)

You can probably push the HEQt to 12kg for imaging, just make sure the scope is properly balanced. It should handle an 8" newt fine imho, and most refractors. Its a good learning combination, the HEQ5 and an 8" newt.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 AM
Imme (Jon)

I had a 6 inch Sky-Watcher on a heq5, with DSLR, zwo guidescope and zwo guide camera. Yep, a heq5 will hold it for astrophotography.......but it is pushing the limits and impacts guiding ability. I’ve upgraded to an eq6.....should have saved my cash first up and gone straight to the eq6.

....that’s my 2 cents
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 AM
doppler (Rick)

There are plenty here that have been using an 8" newt on a HEQ5 for imaging, its not the weight problem it's more the fact that a long fat tube will pick up vibrations and catch the wind and is harder to balance.

If you get the imaging bug you will want to go bigger aperture with a lower f ratio. For me it comes to justifying the expense on a hobby, some people have very deep pockets, but I have to make do with the budget stuff. Though, if I had the option I would upgrade to a Neq6.

As for pushing the limits my setup is at 15kgs, works for imaging but is no good on breezy nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (10inch.jpg)
168.3 KB26 views

Last edited by doppler; 10-12-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I carried my 12 inch on a eq 6 and managed to have it work by careful balancing and moving it manually to targets.
Mike used a 12 inch on an eq6 years ago to achieve outstanding planet photos.
Having said that and thinking of adding an eq5 to my gear I don't feel confident putting the 8 inch ( f5) on it...an 80 would seem the go.
I do think starting out and not using auto guide is the best path as that approach demands attention to alignment and balance...Or so is my opinion.
Alex
Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 AM
DarkKnight (Kev)

I can totally relate to what you are hoping for with your astrophotography.

I'm a keen photographer who became interested in photographing nightscapes and a few of the more visible nebula. I started looking at the mounts and before I knew it I'd been sucked into the gear acquisition vortex, with my supposed needs and their associated costs spiralling out of control.

Like you I initially thought the Star Adventurer suited my needs but then got caught up in the above mentioned gear acquisition vortex and got an upgraded EQ6, not terribly portable as I have to leave home to see more than the odd patch of sky, and more recently an HEQ5 Pro, which I've since sold because the add-ons were getting out of control.

A month or so back I had a serious talk to myself and tried to re-asses just what I wanted from my astro photography. And I came back to what I said above, "photographing nightscapes and a few of the more visible nebula." For that I don't need a GoTo mount, guiding, and a 'scope costing thousands of dollars.

I googled Star Adventurer Astro shots and was more that pleasantly surprised with the results found. To that end I've picked up a Star Adventurer kit, highly portable and user friendly. I'm now looking forward to getting out there instead of finding excuses not to pack forty-odd kgs of gear into my ute.

I guess it all comes down to what level of results you hope to achieve from your photography. If you aspire to APOD level results then poverty will be your constant companion because you will always be 'needing' that next level of must-have gear.

Good luck with your deliberations.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Hi Kev,

Your post hits the nail on the head. I was getting caught up in what I "could" get as opposed to what I "need" to get satisfaction with astrophotography.

I like the simplicity of setting up a tracker to do its thing and then go do some visual astronomy while I wait.
I think I would get more use out of a GoTo Dob than I would an EQ mount that I have to setup everytime to use. My dob I drag out plop it down and off I go. Can have a look for an hour or so and then pack If I so wish.

Where as I feel I would have to invest more time to make it worth the setup of the EQ mount..

I'm thinking the star adventurer and a light pollution filter will suit my requirements for the near future. Will look at using guiding with it, but need to do more research into this. (I believe it can autoguide without a computer running phd2 or similar? This would be ideal).

So does anyone have any complaints or issues about the star adventurer?? What would be a suitable tripod to mount this on. I've currently got a Manfrotto MKBFRA4-BH tripod but think this may be a bit light.

I got out last night with my tracker and in 10 min I was setup and aligned close enough to shoot 90sec at 100mm FL on M42. (Light pollution is killing me though )
Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

I've had an offer for a HEQ5 pro with Rowan belt mod, (Mount is roughly 18months old). Mount looks to be in perfect condition.

Is this a safer bet than a brand new HEQ5 pro? I don't mind getting the 2nd hand finder scope and guide camera (ASI 120mm). But just concerned about the mount. How long do these mounts generally last before you start having issues with tracking, slop developing in the drive train, or clutches slipping?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:32 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

About ten years without any real servicing.
Second hand is usually good.
Clutches are not a wear item
Old 12-12-2017, 02:40 PM
doppler (Rick)

Most scopes don't get a lot of use anyway so if it looks in good condition it probably is. It is easy to adjust any play in the mount drives trains if needed. http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-m1.htm
Second hand heq5 pros go for around $700 and I believe a belt mod costs around $100, 18 mths is practically new anyway. If the price is right it will sell quick.
Old 13-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

I've taken the plunge and purchased an HEQ5 pro with 50mm guidescope, ASI120mm guide camera. Just going to keep using my dslr and lenses for now and will look at an OTA or refractor once I get guiding under control.

So I'll spend the next few weeks trying to work out how to get it tracking properly.

Be prepared for more questions on how to correct my PA or PHD2 settings

Thanks for all the responses and advice. Was a big help in finally deciding what setup to go for.
Old 13-12-2017, 06:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Congratulations and good luck.
Alex