ICEINSPACE
Most Read Articles
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON Waxing Crescent
7.1%
The Sun Now
Time Zones
Sydney*
8:23 am
Perth
5:23 am
Auckland*
10:23 am
New York
4:23 pm
Paris
10:23 pm
GMT
9:23 pm




Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #101  
Old 05-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Stefan Buda
Registered User

Stefan Buda is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 308
Thanks Wavytone for the advice, but I did make my move yesterday on the Mangin. One single "wet" with 302 1/2 emery brought the RC back to what it should be and then I finished it off with 2 wets each of 1200 and 1600 emery.
I'm about 3 hours into polishing now and the RC is holding nicely.
One of the problems with the first polishing was that we had a heat wave and the ambient temperature was about 28 degrees - way too high for Acculap Standard hardness. Now I'm polishing at 22 degrees and another heatwave is upon us. Must finish it today or wait for the cool change.
I am not going to worry about 15nm of residual astigmatism - it is completely insignificant and quite small considering the complexity of the instrument and the lack of collimation adjustments.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 AM
bratislav (Bratislav)
Registered User

bratislav is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Yup you have SA with a touch of astigmatism, the astigmatic axis runs from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock. Could have told you that from the image, never mind the roddier analysis.

[snip]

You know what you have to do... though to remove a high zone of 5 microns I'd be practicing the gentle art of hand figuring with pitch and rouge, pressing with petal-shaped card templates to control where the contact zones are... forget fine grinding - far too drastic, and even cerium oxide is too drastic. Rouge is far more gentle when it comes to figuring.
The residual spherical aberration can be turned off in software. ALL residuals (including astigmatism) then amount to about 22nm RMS (less than 1/25 wave) which is excellent even by visual standards. Astigmatism itself is about 15nm (1/36 wave RMS), just about undetectable.

And tackling 5 microns (10 waves!) with rouge would take better part of one's life. And most likely result in scratches (too many sessions and Mr Murphy doesn't sleep). Rouge is way to slow to do anything, and best left for massaging in those last tenths of a wave. Utterly out of place for an astrograph with more than 50% obstruction.

BTW this "high zone" isn't so much on glass - most of this residual third order SA comes from having a wrong radius at a wrong (actually WORST) place. Most of it could have been sorted out by respacing the components (at a cost of some softening of off axis images); but Stefan's design is already been cast in stone (and everything, including spacings) set to within a micron or so, so having R4 back to spec is the only solution.

Seeing that Stefan has already reground and mostly repolished the Mangin (I wanted to suggest using pads for raw polish as they won't flow at all, all but guaranteeing the steady curve on R4), it is all now academic ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1stNoSph_web.jpg)
175.7 KB23 views

Last edited by bratislav; 05-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 06-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Stefan Buda
Registered User

Stefan Buda is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 308
Managed to finish the polishing of R4, yesterday, and the Ronchi figure looks much nicer than the first time round - most likely due to a more correct polishing temperature. The previous figure had slightly rolled down inner and outer edges.
Last night I put the OTA back together without aluminizing R4 to try recording some extra focal images. It was difficult to capture enough photons but during my tests I noticed that there was quite severe coma present, just like the previous time when I just ignored it. The SA looked definitely smaller but the coma should have been absent - clearly I had another problem to trace.
I got up at 6am this morning and frantically started measuring everything. It did not take long to discover that the small biconvex lens, which is almost symmetrical, was installed back to front. I took so much care to avoid this very problem and somehow still managed to screw up.
So by 8am the Mangin was in the vacuum chamber and by 9 it had a nice fresh aluminium coating. By 10am I had done the autocollimation test that shows nice, very gently curving Ronchi lines.
And now I ready to hit St Kilda beach with some good reading and try to survive the 42 degrees day.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Atik 16200
Advertisement
SkyWatcher WiFi Adaptor
Advertisement
FLI Cameras and Imaging Accessories
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Esprit
Advertisement
SkyWatcher 2018 Catalogue
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement