Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Kathmandu (Michael)

What do I need??

Have been playing around with astro photography using a DSLR for a little while and have had the use of a Star Adventurer a couple of times. Pretty interested in the results achieved and think I might as well go a bit deeper (OMG).
If I bought one of Sky watcher, EQ3 pro go to, EQ 35 go to combo or the EQ 5 (this may be a bit big). What else would I need for mainly wide field imaging still using the DSLRs?? Battery pack, guide scope ????
Many Thanks for listening.
Mike.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Deep pockets

My real advice is before you spend anything JOIN a CLUB

Buy cheap buy twice, I am NOT an imager but I do know that you need to get the best you can afford even if you need to save more, surely the EQ3 is not really any good for imaging with larger setups is it but many say it is good up to 80mm
Old 12-06-2019, 07:05 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Michael
Welcome and thanks for joining our community.
The main issue is budget but what I suggest is a reasonable entry level.
HEQ 5 and no smaller. If no grid power a small deep cycle battery will be needed down the road but for starters a cheap car battry...battery packs are an expensive way to go..
For startèrs you can skip a guiding set up and run unguided using short exposures...I still do this even though I have the guide camera and scope ... short exposures manage clouds and poor seeing better in my view.
Without guidinf you will learn to get the best from your mount via adjustment and want to get your polar alignment spot on...not bad to have under your belt before you start guiding.
As to a scope..I have an 80mm refractor and a f5 eight inch newtonian...the eight is a great way to go as its under a grand with a coma corrector...and you will get great results with a dslr...I didnt think much of the 80 mm until I went to narrow band ...I have yet to do substantial narrow band with the eight.
So get the mount. You will need a scope and a t ring to attach the camera....and a method to do good polar alignment although with short exposures you can get away with less than perfect...learning to drift align is good to have as experience...I use a polemaster which is an expensive way given some programs like sharp cap have polar alignment features...I have found there is not much you cant do with a grab of 30 seconds.
You just take about an hours worth and you are there☺....and at 30 seconds you dont need an intervalometer...
Does that help?
Alex
Old 12-06-2019, 07:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Check my photos in the photography section below for evidence that unguided works...
Alex
Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The heq5 is a small mount but I found it manages the eight inch well even with a guide scope ... mounts can cost up to thirty grand so heq5 is a very cheap entry ticket. You can fit them with belt drive even.
Alex
Old 12-06-2019, 08:08 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Another thing...plenty of batteries for the camera...at least three...remember you want as many subs as you can get...if you end up with a heap you can select only the best...get Deep Sky Stacker a free program and at least start using that.
Alex
Old 12-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Kathmandu (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Deep pockets

My real advice is before you spend anything JOIN a CLUB

Buy cheap buy twice, I am NOT an imager but I do know that you need to get the best you can afford even if you need to save more, surely the EQ3 is not really any good for imaging with larger setups is it but many say it is good up to 80mm
Good advise Thanks.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Kathmandu (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Another thing...plenty of batteries for the camera...at least three...remember you want as many subs as you can get...if you end up with a heap you can select only the best...get Deep Sky Stacker a free program and at least start using that.
Alex
Lots of good advise, Thanks.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Totally agree with Alex
A great entry level mount which has a good payload capacity ( 9kg ) for AP and is Ascom compliant for most Astro applications is the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro
A cost effective scope to use with your DSLR and the HEQ5 mount would be a 6” f5 or 6” f6 Newtonian ( around $350 new ) Good for imaging Lunar , planetary and a large number deep sky objects.A refractor telescope is another choice for AP with the HEQ5 mount but will cost you more
Lots of choice
Make as many enquires as possible before you decide
Good luck !
Old 12-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I agree with all the aforesaid. You can have a lot of fun with a good quality DSLR and a star adventurer with a fast lense and take it with you in carry on baggage. I have even put a 3kg lense on one and there are some amazing shots on CN.

But once you get past the portable set up, go straight to the HEQ5 level which is really the cheap minimum for guiding in both axes with any kind of scope.