Old 14-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Lester

Colour Lumenera camera

Hi everyone,

Can someone inform me on the comparison of the Lumenera LU075C colour camera that sell for $850 U.S.

How much better is it than the Tocam or Neximage. Obviously it is not as good as the B/W Lumeneras that are taking the best planetary shots.

Came across this camera at= www.astrovid.com
It is supposed to be able to capture up to 60 fps without compression and loss of information.

Thanks.
Old 15-05-2006, 05:33 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Lester,

Yes that's right, the colour lumenera is a good camera - uncompressed high frame rate transfer. Being one-shot colour, it won't have the same resolution as the monochrome + colour filter option, but if you want something that's far simpler to use, then it may be the way to go.

If money isn't an option, the monochrome + colour filters + motorised filter wheel will deliver the best results, but also the steepest learning curve.

There's a good thread on CloudyNights discussing the DMK mono camera, which is similar to the Lumenera (a bit cheaper, too). It's got some good advice about the pitfalls of RGB imaging, if you choose to go down that path: thread here.

The faster frame rates of even the colour LU will mean you need a fairly high-spec'd laptop to capture onto.

One thing to be careful of with the LU, is the software. You used to have to buy StreamPix as well, which was another $1000 on top of the camera itself. But apparently you can now use alternate software to capture with. But I'm not 100% what software. If you're interested I can try and find out.

HTH
Old 15-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Lester

Thanks Mike,

I am just dreaming at this stage, but will keep looking to see what is available.