ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-02-2021, 11:42 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

What snake is this

Hi All

Found on the lawn near a garden bed this morning. Looks like the cat may have found it overnight going by the bite and chew damage to the reptile. Have seen a couple of other very similar sized and similar appearance snakes in the garden over the past decade or so.
It is about 300 / 350mm long with an olive green / grey colouring and the belly has an almost sparkly iridescent in the sunshine.
Also have several Blue Tongues ( and no snails ) around the yard, lots of skinks and have had a couple of small Red Bellies over the years, that the cat may have dragged home.
All this wildlife in suburban Bulli, who would've thought and don't get me started on the Sulphur Crested, Rainbow Lorikeets and King Parrots .
Anyway if any Herpetologists out there can identify the species it would be most interesting, the closest I could find from pictures was maybe an Golden Crowned Snake.

Thanks for Looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20210221_140419.jpg - 2_resized.jpg)
201.8 KB140 views
Click for full-size image (20210221_140439.jpg - 2_resized.jpg)
206.5 KB154 views
Click for full-size image (20210221_140654.jpg - 2_resized.jpg)
213.6 KB123 views
Old 22-02-2021, 01:09 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Jeff,

Looks like a juvenile brown snake. Its head is certainly that of a brown, and this is brown country.

Gorgeous snakes, browns are. Deadly if you mess with them, but so well adapted to their environment.

Alex.
Old 22-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for that Alex, I think. I know it's the time of year that juvenile snakes are on the move and was thinking that it wasn't a type of python, from the shape of the head, so what is it ? A brown is not what I want to hear though.
Old 22-02-2021, 10:28 AM
JohnF (John)

Could be a brown. Scale counts will tell you, must be dead. for you to do them. good photo on Google images a few years back, showing a stack of diiferent smnakes, but every one was a Eastern brown Snake,

http://www.goldcoastsnakecatchers.co...tern_Brown.php
Old 22-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Snake is definitely dead, didn't bite or wriggle when picked up. From all the pictures that I've seen so far , it looks very much like a juvenile brown, head shape and eye colour etc. Not good, don't like browns, red bellies are almost cool if you don't get too close, seen plenty at the local golf courses and elsewhere.
Thanks for you input, would always welcome more info though.
Old 22-02-2021, 01:13 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
don't like browns...
Mate, reckon rats are thrilled by them?

The current mouse plague will see some very fat and contented browns, red belly blacks and pythons

Can't do much other than keep your wits about you. Yes they are aggressive, but at the same time they don't see us as food - little comfort though when one is charging down the driveway to have a go at you with blood in its eyes...
Old 22-02-2021, 01:51 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

What Type ... !! One you stay away from.
Old 22-02-2021, 03:41 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Yea I know, give them plenty of room and they're happy to get away from us and I'm happy to give them all the room they need to do that. As long as it's not toward the front door, unless on the way out.
Old 22-02-2021, 04:33 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

If you do not really know about snakes remember, not all snakes are poisonous but they are all venomous. Don't mess with them.
Greg.
Old 22-02-2021, 11:44 PM
Huey (Michael)

snake

Hi,
It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but it is definitely a venomous snake, most likely an elapid. The belly scales are relatively large and the head is indistinct from the body in elapids like brown snakes, red bellies or taipans for example. Remember even a dead snake is still deadly if you get any saliva in an open wound. So be careful when you dispose of it. Also, native wildlife and cats don't mix too well. Eventually the cat will get bitten if it continues to hunt snakes.

Just my two cents worth

Huey
Old 22-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Constant (David)

Sorry, can't help you identify the snake. You're blessed with abundant wildlife, I hope the K@t is kept inside at night.
Old 23-02-2021, 08:17 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

I have seen a few brown snakes around here of various types among the ubiquitous black snakes. Particularly at this time of year.

The birds can attack snakes in the open and will kill them if they can. Looks like that one has been killed very precisely behind the head.