Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 16-10-2017, 03:26 PM
glend (Glen)

NASA confirms existence of Planet Nine.

I saw a news story today that Nasa has confirmed the existence of Planet Nine based on some observational data. Ten times larger than Earth and 20 times farther away from the Sun than Neptune.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...2396d307b6aeee
Old 16-10-2017, 05:43 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

I saw this article, and immediately cringed - the good ol' mainstream press can't report this story without a bit of conspiracy / catastrophe theory thrown in - the headline gives you a taste of what is to follow:

NASA admits the mysterious Planet Nine is real, but says ‘deadly’ Nibiru is a fraud

A bit further on, it gets much scarier:

However, it’s feared Planet Nine will eventually destroy the solar system by causing a devastating “death dance”.
It could one day hurtle through our solar system, sending planets “pinballing” into outer space or plunging into the Sun.

Woah - this is terrible! Is it time to say goodbye to family and friends?!

Perhaps not just yet:

Luckily for us, humanity has about seven billion years to prepare for this grim eventuality, which will take place when the Sun begins to die.

I'd suggest you go to the source JPL story for a less sensational account of the science:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2017-259
Old 16-10-2017, 06:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

They find Nibiru and still deny it...

I will read what NASA says as if they would know anything.

And this warming in some billions of years who is going to believe that.

Earth will never die.

alex
Old 16-10-2017, 06:55 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
I'd suggest you go to the source JPL story for a less sensational account of the science:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2017-259
Much better thanks - also no auto starting video.
Old 16-10-2017, 06:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It seems a way to go yet. A couple of photos would be good...Maybe the things they see as evidence of a planet is in fact evidence of dark matter?
alex
Old 16-10-2017, 11:52 PM
AstroStudentUSQ (Mark)

I love it when they talk about 'Humanity' having billions of years to plan ahead... haha! If anything is still alive on this planet in billions of years, it certainly won't be Humans or anything remotely like us. Look at the difference in life now to billions of years ago... Humans certainly do not need to be concerned for their survival billions of years from now, for Humans as we understand ourselves will have evolved into something probably quite unrecognizable if life in general survives on this planet that long. The next few centuries will be the make or break for Humanity per se I am sure.
Old 17-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

We’ve got about a billion years left on Earth under the best scenario which is that we don’t kill ourselves or make the Earth uninhabitable. In about a billion years the suns solar output will have increased by ~25% making the Earth too hot
Old 17-10-2017, 08:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
We’ve got about a billion years left on Earth under the best scenario which is that we don’t kill ourselves or make the Earth uninhabitable. In about a billion years the suns solar output will have increased by ~25% making the Earth too hot
Just extrapolate the present population growth out about 500 years and consider what life would be like on Earth. No, i believe the human race only has about 100 years to sort itself out and start moving off the Earth. Humans will destroy the Earth long before the Sun, or some wandering body does. Generally speaking, humans are an infestation brought about by favourable circumstances and evolution.
Old 17-10-2017, 05:07 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Hi,

I think all NASA said was that the odd orbits of some objects in the Kuiper belt, plus the inclination of the orbits of the known major planets, COULD be explained by the existence of a far-out super-earth.

No-one has seen it yet, so watch that space (geddit?)

Cheers
Old 18-10-2017, 07:04 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post
Hi,

I think all NASA said was that the odd orbits of some objects in the Kuiper belt, plus the inclination of the orbits of the known major planets, COULD be explained by the existence of a far-out super-earth.

No-one has seen it yet, so watch that space (geddit?)

Cheers
Don't forget, Neptune was "discovered by the point of a pen " too. Perturbations in the orbits of other bodies were the predictors of the existence of a "new " planet. Thank you Mr. Verrier.

Peter
Old 18-10-2017, 11:12 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Finally we'll get to meet our insect overlords? Or its a death star on approach?

Just to get it on record for the loonies, Planet 9 is where the human race originated, all life on earth was seeded/colonised by planet 9, so was Venus and Mars but they didn't make it. UFOs are obviously from p9 as they come to check on the third failed experiment.
Old 18-10-2017, 01:07 PM
glend (Glen)

My December 2017 issue of Australian Sky & Telescope arrived this morning, and there on page 18-23 is a detailed story about "The Hunt for Planet X". Complete with detailed orbital modelling. The author, Scott Sheppard, of the Carnegie Institute for Science, claims there is a 90% confidence level that this object does exist.
Old 18-10-2017, 01:47 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Whenever NASA is said to "admit" something, I stop reading immediately. The article is bound to be garbage. Had another look after reading this thread, and this time it's an article based on interesting observations and calculations but still executed in garbage form. NASA link is much better, not surprisingly.
Old 18-10-2017, 02:16 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Whenever NASA is said to "admit" something, I stop reading immediately. The article is bound to be garbage. Had another look after reading this thread, and this time it's an article based on interesting observations and calculations but still executed in garbage form. NASA link is much better, not surprisingly.
My thoughts exactly
There's NO proof of supposed planet only inference.
So many times in the past have there been "evidence" of another planet, only for it to be found to be not there.
Anything that Mike Brown is involved in I take with a pinch of salt.
I will wait till there is real evidence,not conjecture.
Cheers
Old 18-10-2017, 02:58 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
What is your gripe with Mike Brown - other than that he is the guy who "killed Pluto"?

He and his team have discovered numerous trans-Neptunian objects, including Eris (which is known to be more massive than Pluto - which is why something had to be done about classifying Pluto, and the many other similarly-sized objects).

I'll take a $5 wager that "Planet 9" turns up within the mass and orbital parameters that Brown and Batygin have predicted.
Old 18-10-2017, 06:23 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Cant stand the arrogant little BEEP . Besides, I like the idea of a solar system with 100+ planets!
Old 19-10-2017, 12:05 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Cant stand the arrogant little BEEP
"Educated men will look at what I do and say that it is useless work ..."

An interesting juxtaposition in your posting!
Old 23-10-2017, 09:28 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

There cannot possibly be a planet 9 in the Kuiper Belt. The IAU's rules are quite clear that to be a planet, it must have cleared the neighbourhood. Given the large number of planetoid sized TNOs, this clearly has not happened.
There *may* be a TNO bigger than any currently known, but it is unlikely to fit the IAU definition. Remember that if Pluto was orbiting on its own between Earth and Venus (for example), it would have fit the definition and been regarded as a planet.