Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

yet another example of Australian's getting ripped off

As the subject title says. We get ripped off here. A LOT. For far too long distributors and retailers have been allowed to price rape Australians.

Example:

Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas: Field edition.

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/interstellaru...tellarum+field

USD $164.16 (around $200 AUD).

Dymocks Australia:

https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/inte.../#.WdDIQ9Og-Rs

they want a very greedy AUD $420.00. WTF? Like seriously?

note: Amazon price is the retail price, the wholesale price will be a lot lower than this, which makes the Dymocks markup even more ridiculous. And, this is not the first time I've see Dymocks do this, and when you query prices with them, they don't even give you the courtesy of a reply. Talk about treating customers with contempt!

Now, if your'e going to tell me that it costs $220 to ship the book to Australia, or store it in a warehouse, I'm gonna suggest that you put the ice crack pipe down.

This is why Australians are buying direct from overseas in DROVES. Local business complains, and our incompetent politicians do nothing but protect businesses, rather than their constituents who legally voted them into power. Has to make you wonder...

if local business wants to compete, then they need to actually compete, not compel the Australian government to bully Australians into not buying from competitive overseas vendors.

This just really ires me badly.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

An example of pricing done well - the fujiyama eypeices @ http://www.astronomy-electronics-centre.com.au/. They will get my business.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Yep, i distinctly remember paying $150 for a Uni text that amounted to little more than a novel and was referenced, possibly, 3 times in course... Unbelievable extortion!
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You will only be ripped off if you pay the asking price.

You have a choice.

From the sellers point of view I expect they figure having money in stock that presumably will have a small turnover should be rewarded with a huge mark up.

Perhaps the greatest damage is letting the situation upset you...its the way it is and probably wont change soon.

Its similar to petrol prices...I know they are having a go when prices go up at certain times but there is no point in letting the situation upset one...nothing will change due to a reaction via your emotions except your health.

Perhaps a letter to the company pointing out that they seem to have over priced the item and valid reasons in support..that may not produce a result but at least it is a positive action.

You could suggest your views are shared by a large number of other potential buyers and they would be well advised to either price it right or dont bother having it in stock...You may find to take such action satisfying.

alex
Old 02-10-2017, 02:35 PM
drylander (Peter)

In regard to the price difference between Amazon USA and Dymocks. Will Amazon when it opens its warehouse in Australia also apply the "Australia Tax" or actually force others to compete?
Pete
Old 02-10-2017, 03:38 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drylander View Post
In regard to the price difference between Amazon USA and Dymocks. Will Amazon when it opens its warehouse in Australia also apply the "Australia Tax" or actually force others to compete?
Pete
I'm pretty sure only the very fastest moving lines will be stocked here at all. They couldn't seriously stock odd or slow moving lines like they might do over there.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drylander View Post
Pete
I hope so! But - if Amazon Australia kills a lot of local businesses, expect the Australian government to step in and hamstring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I'm pretty sure only the very fastest moving lines will be stocked here at all. They couldn't seriously stock odd or slow moving lines like they might do over there.
Yeah, I think that will prolly be the case sadly...

Look, I try and buy as much stuff locally as possible. But when price differentials are unreasonable in my eyes, it's overseas I go, and I have no qualms about doing so.

I'm deeply offended that our government seeks to reward ripoff distributors and retails by taxing overseas purchases. That's simply corruption and collusion on a grand scale imho, and is certainly NOT in the interest of the general public. Distributors and retailers complaining about losing business cos of overseas Internet based businesses etc, should perhaps look a wee bit hard at themselves and as to why they're losing business. And our government should certainly NOT be supporting such greedy businesses etc imho, at the expense of honest hard working Australians.

This is not the first time Dymocks has had outrageous pricing. Austraian Ebay sellers for books in particular, are bad at this too, but to a lesser extent than Dymocks.

Money is tight for me, every $$$ helps.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:05 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post

You have a choice.

From the sellers point of view I expect they figure having money in stock that presumably will have a small turnover should be rewarded with a huge mark up.

Perhaps the greatest damage is letting the situation upset you...its the way it is and probably wont change soon.

Its similar to petrol prices...I know they are having a go when prices go up at certain times but there is no point in letting the situation upset one...nothing will change due to a reaction via your emotions except your health.

Perhaps a letter to the company pointing out that they seem to have over priced the item and valid reasons in support..that may not produce a result but at least it is a positive action.

You could suggest your views are shared by a large number of other potential buyers and they would be well advised to either price it right or dont bother having it in stock...You may find to take such action satisfying.

alex
Alex - I've sent an Email to Dymocks twice in the past in regards to excessive over pricing of products and have never even had the courtesy of a reply. That pretty much shows you how much they don't care imho.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
Alex - I've sent an Email to Dymocks twice in the past in regards to excessive over pricing of products and have never even had the courtesy of a reply. That pretty much shows you how much they don't care imho.
Well I would send them yet another letter pointing out that you have written and add the magic words.

" I would appreciate the courtesy of a reply"

Who ownes that company I wonder?

That is shocking not to reply to a letter is just very bad.

Their pricing suggests they may work on 100% mark up...not unheard of.

When I was a copy boy with the SMH, 57 years ago, most lunch hours were spent at their Sydney shop...I spent a lot of money there... Look tell them I am not impressed that should get some action

alex
Old 02-10-2017, 08:06 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
I'm deeply offended that our government seeks to reward ripoff distributors and retails by taxing overseas purchases. That's simply corruption and collusion on a grand scale imho, and is certainly NOT in the interest of the general public. Distributors and retailers complaining about losing business cos of overseas Internet based businesses etc, should perhaps look a wee bit hard at themselves and as to why they're losing business. And our government should certainly NOT be supporting such greedy businesses etc imho, at the expense of honest hard working Australians.
I'm not offended. All purchases should be subject to the same tax. If that makes local sellers even more expensive, then don't buy.
I look forward to the time the $1000 tax concession is rescinded - even though I have just benefited from it.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
I'm not offended. All purchases should be subject to the same tax. If that makes local sellers even more expensive, then don't buy.
I look forward to the time the $1000 tax concession is rescinded - even though I have just benefited from it.
you do understand that local businesses lobbied the government to tax internet purchases, so that they could still price gouge rip off Australians and not have any competition for doing so?

I don't mind a business asking a fair price. I get deeply offended when they are just plain ripping people off, and then want the government to legislate to protect their asses...
Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Well I would send them yet another letter pointing out that you have written and add the magic words.

" I would appreciate the courtesy of a reply"

Who ownes that company I wonder?

That is shocking not to reply to a letter is just very bad.

Their pricing suggests they may work on 100% mark up...not unheard of.

When I was a copy boy with the SMH, 57 years ago, most lunch hours were spent at their Sydney shop...I spent a lot of money there... Look tell them I am not impressed that should get some action

alex
well, sadly, my Email to them was via a php/asp contact us form on their website. It's long been deleted I'd say and no one will remember it, or care. Sure, I could send them another complaint, but it's just not worth it. Better to simply not buy from them. When they continue to lose customers and go bankrupt, I'll laugh and have a merry jig.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:

You have a choice.

alex
Alex, well said!

Best to choose to be happy I reckon. Then pass on that smile.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Wavytone

LOL Dymocks is also the last place I'd ever buy a book. Next time ask Abbeys to get it, instead.

However - this is nothing new - the problem has existed since the 1980s having had account with UK booksellers since that era. The book industry has to be one of the worst - if not THE WORST for both absurd local pricing, and commercial deals that aim to "geofence" ie forcing australians to buy locally. Street-front booksellers are also genuinely plagued with high overheads:

- they are selling a low value item - average customer sale is under $100;
- the number of walk-in customers is small, compared to most retail shops;
- they still have to pay rent, and staff.

You only have to watch a bookshop on a Saturday afternoon for 10 minutes to see how few customers walk in. It is a dying business.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
you do understand that Gerry Harvey lobbied the government to tax internet purchases, so that they could still price gouge rip off Australians and not have any competition for doing so?
Fixed that for you!

Even with the GST added on, overseas purchases on the whole will still be significantly cheaper than their local equivalents. With books and small items, that is fine. A book is a book is a book, no matter where you are. Go to booko.com.au and pick the cheapest, and enjoy the savings.

It is the bigger imported items that lack a local warranty, where the difference can be caught up really fast. Sending something back overseas for repair will eat away any gains you make in the first place.

I set myself an arbitrary limit on any given item. If I am comfortably below that limit and the product has a good reputation, then I will purchase from overseas with no problem. For example, last week I purchased a couple of DC motors, some temperature gauges and a few miscellaneous connectors from China, so that I can start building a couple more coffee roasters. I could have sourced all of it here, but it would have cost me easily over $100, instead of the $31.80 it ended up costing on eBay.

But for something like a telescope, modem, television, I will always look for a local agent. I won't go to Harvey Norman, because I personally think he is a self-serving prig. But I will always look to a local like BinTel or Andrews, JB Hifi or Good Guys, or even a local eBay seller.

And with consumer electronics, that is doubly important. If you import something that is not approved for use here, you can be hauled over some very hot coals. I believe something happened recently in Sydney's west for this reason. The guy was selling them and was raided, but it would apply equally if you brought an unapproved item in for yourself, and burned your house down. I can imagine the insurance company laughing and hanging up...

And don't get me started on Product Liability Insurance... another necessary minefield to navigate.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Alex, well said!

Best to choose to be happy I reckon. Then pass on that smile.

Cheers,

Damien.
Thank you Damien.

Now all I have to remember is to practise what I preach.

I was listening to the radio with a discussion about the investment to return on drugs... the legit kind..life saving cancer drugs ..that sort of thing.

The guy who researched and was being interviewed told how drug companies invest between $350 mill to $700 million on a new drug and then get a return of ..in many or most cases $15 billion ...

That is enough to make you grizzle but on the positive they do produce new life saving drugs.

Maybe if the returns were less the investment would not be made.

And I support your approach to pass on the smile... I have found one stands out when one is cheerful and positive with strangers and how good is it when you may be the only one that has brought a smile into anothers life.

Getting upset I think may cause higher blood pressure which is dangerous so why give it room to move.

alex
Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM
kittenshark (Cheryl-Ann Tan)

Every time you put a product into an Australian warehouse or retail front, expect it to cost at least 30-50% more, at least, mostly due to labour costs and rent. Most decent retailers base their prices on their supply price. If the supplier increases their cost, many are reluctant to raise the prices and absorb the cost where they can, until they go out of business, or bear the brunt of angry customers.

You could walk into a Dymocks retail front and get a book straight away, but not with the Amazon warehouse. You pay for that service. But with Amazon coming to Australia, it's likely they'll bring the Prime service with free 2 day shipping etc. Smaller retailers can't even compete with shipping rates--it's insane that it's cheaper to ship something from China than to ship something locally.

I see more and more retail being done out of a warehouse either locally or overseas as a response to Amazon to compete with price.

Borders closing down is a sure sign of the bookstores not being able to change with the market.

Cheap prices are not always a good thing--if one big retailer comes into any industry and slashes prices, it is predatory pricing and its sole purpose is to drive smaller guys out of the market, so that they become a monopoly, and where companies become big and faceless, the less personal customer service you get.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano592 View Post
Fixed that for you!

Even with the GST added on, overseas purchases on the whole will still be significantly cheaper than their local equivalents. With books and small items, that is fine. A book is a book is a book, no matter where you are. Go to booko.com.au and pick the cheapest, and enjoy the savings.

It is the bigger imported items that lack a local warranty, where the difference can be caught up really fast. Sending something back overseas for repair will eat away any gains you make in the first place.

I set myself an arbitrary limit on any given item. If I am comfortably below that limit and the product has a good reputation, then I will purchase from overseas with no problem. For example, last week I purchased a couple of DC motors, some temperature gauges and a few miscellaneous connectors from China, so that I can start building a couple more coffee roasters. I could have sourced all of it here, but it would have cost me easily over $100, instead of the $31.80 it ended up costing on eBay.

But for something like a telescope, modem, television, I will always look for a local agent. I won't go to Harvey Norman, because I personally think he is a self-serving prig. But I will always look to a local like BinTel or Andrews, JB Hifi or Good Guys, or even a local eBay seller.

And with consumer electronics, that is doubly important. If you import something that is not approved for use here, you can be hauled over some very hot coals. I believe something happened recently in Sydney's west for this reason. The guy was selling them and was raided, but it would apply equally if you brought an unapproved item in for yourself, and burned your house down. I can imagine the insurance company laughing and hanging up...

And don't get me started on Product Liability Insurance... another necessary minefield to navigate.
hahaha nice fix!

Yes, I perfectly understand about the electronics and warranty, etc. Books seem to be quite bad when it comes to price parity, thankfully most gear is very similar, if not cheaper in Australia (esprit range of products as an example). Even with the esprit range on sale in the US, it's still cheaper by $200 to buy locally in Australia!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:02 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenshark View Post
Cheap prices are not always a good thing--if one big retailer comes into any industry and slashes prices, it is predatory pricing and its sole purpose is to drive smaller guys out of the market, so that they become a monopoly, and where companies become big and faceless, the less personal customer service you get.
It depends on your point of view. If there has been price gauging and market collusion by local sellers, and new guy on the market kills them, I have no pity. They deserve what they get. Sorry, not sorry.

As to Dymocks, what customer service? Last time I looked, not responding to a customer query was considered not good customer service *wink wink*.

And, as in my original post, the Amazon product was based on a retail price. If we assume wholesale price was half of that (and Dymocks is probably paying the same wholesale price as Amazon is, or very close to it to be considered inconsequential), it only furthers the evidence that they are price gouging.

Granted, this is an extreme example - most books sold by Dynocks are reasonably priced. If a local retailer is within a reasonable range of the overseas market, I'll buy locally. I prefer to buy locally and support local Australian business.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Amazon is an interesting case. If you look at the US and UK markets, traditional retailers have learned to co-exist with online presences of their own, or go the way of the do-do as market forces dictate. You don't find shopping streets/malls with half of the stores empty. Granted, in some locations you might, but that's more a factor of local socioeconomic problems/policy.

In Australia...I have to wonder if Amazon might have a challenge on their hands. The Great Postal Vortex of Australia is a law to itself. Even courier companies can be somewhat unpredictable. And then you have the highest labour cost of anywhere in the world. Factor in the unique Australian geographic challenge, and a significantly smaller population compared to other markets they operate in and you'll see why it might be "interesting".

There's going to be a gotcha somewhere...like, maybe the product selection they will carry will be somewhat limited? Regardless, local businesses will either cease or shape up.

Don't in any way interpret my ramblings as being for/against what will come next. Since living in Australia I've happily weened of the Amazon addiction