Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Astronomers, astrologers - they're the same, right?

I would have thought so given this brilliant bit of journalism from the ABC... how to confuse an already confused public - put both "LG" and "NM" types in the same article - even though Fred winds it in at the end.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...12/3215114.htm

Quote:
Planets align for awesome foursome showcase
By Monique Ross

Updated 1 hour 18 minutes ago

Astronomers and stargazers will be looking to the dawn sky tomorrow as planets Mercury, Venus, Mars and Jupiter align over the southern hemisphere.

Astrologists predict the visual treat, which will be visible just above the horizon around sunrise, will influence the behaviour and emotions of those on Earth.

Fred Watson, the astronomer-in-charge of the Anglo-Australian Observatory in NSW, says stargazers in eastern Australia should look to the sky between 5.00am and 7.00am (AEST).

He says tomorrow's planetary show may not be rivalled for another 29 years.

"Perhaps the best repeat performance of this - and one that will in some ways be even better - will be when all five of the naked-eye planets come together in the early evening sky on September 8, 2040," he said.

But he says tomorrow will not be the only chance to catch a glimpse of the alignment.

"It's one of these things that doesn't just take place over one day. This is something that's happened over a few weeks as the planets come together in the morning sky, and it will continue for a few weeks as they gradually drift apart again," he said.

Professor Watson says Venus will be in the middle of the group, while Jupiter will sit just above and to the left. Mercury will be to the right of Jupiter and slightly fainter.

"Venus is the brightest of all the planets and stunningly bright at the moment. Jupiter [will be] right next to it tomorrow morning, about half a degree away," he said.

"Then the other planets, Mercury and Mars, are sort of in accompaniment - Mercury's nearer than Mars is, and Mars is the one that is nearest to the horizon at the moment.

"That's four of the five naked-eye planets all in a fairly close-knit community in the early morning sky. What's special about this one is that they've come together in such a tight grouping."

Astrologer Douglas Parker says his horoscope chart shows the four planets are actually very close to each other for about a week.

"Jupiter and Venus together indicates people born around this time will have film-star mannerisms, be extremely popular and have considerable artistic ability," he said.

"Jupiter and Mercury together indicates people born around this time will be successful in business, science or as a speaker.

"Mercury and Venus together indicates people born around this time will have considerable artistic and creative ability."

And, he says, it gets better.

"The Venus and Mars together in the sky indicates people born around this time will have a strong sexual magnetism and a strongly sensual nature," he said.

Astrologer Sarah Kulkens agrees the alignment will influence people on Earth, but says it may not all be positive.

"The line-up of the planets will make people a little more emotional than usual," she said.

"Most people will feel that family ties will be the most important part of their lives.

"The effect of this planet line-up has been slowly felt by many over the past few months and by the end of May people should be starting to slowly feel better."

But Professor Watson says the alignment of the planets has no impact on human behaviour.

"The whole science community, not just astronomy, tells us that the planets have no direct influence on anything that goes on here on Earth," he said.

"The gravitational attraction of the planets, which is the only thing that could make any difference, is far too small to have any effect, unlike the moon which is a small object relatively nearby that does have an effect - it raises tides.

"The ancient tradition of trying to say that planets influence people will take great notice of the alignment of the planets, but from an astronomical and scientific point of view, and might I say from a reasonable point of view, they have no impact whatsoever."
Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yes, just read it - tragic! At least Fred got the last word, but I doubt those that needed to hear it could read that far.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

sigh.....
Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Should we all email Monique Ross? Can anyone find her email address?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:02 PM
one_iota (Mahn)

I just finished reading this on the ABC news site.....the ABC which does good work in "science outreach" has dropped the ball with this one.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM
astronut (John)
2'sCompany3's a StarParty

Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 PM
PeterM

I dunno, as the saying goes we can all take something from this. After reading the first astrologers comments I get the feeling I was born during a prior alignment, you know the magnetism and all that .........

PeterM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM
h0ughy (David)

ahh its all publicity - good for the sport at least the public is aware of something happening - and if they ask questions even better - at least you can give an answer - and the lotto numbers
Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

I like the prediction that people born around this time with experience sexual magnetism...

What ? ... people hoping to get la*d on their birthday?
Amazing !
I'm a convert now, where's my star sign chart?

Can I get chicken entrails with that please?

frank
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

guh, I knew the planetary alignment had something to do with my social awkwardness... :\
Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 PM
rally

This should all be good promotion for our highly sensual and sexually magnetic pursuit !

Afterall how else could you get 50,000 extra people out planet gazing in one week.

At least two of them may be interested enough to try and work out which one is Mars and Venus !
Heck who knows some may even want to look through a telescope
Definitely the week to dress up and do a sidewalk star party - now ehat to wear on this occasion - the mind boggles

The rest will quickly read their horrerscopes to see if that magnetism is coming their way !!!

I think I better trade in my observing buddies after reading this !!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi All,

Firstly, what's an "astrologist"?

And you can conclude from the two quotes from these astrologers that

From Douglas Parker:

"Jupiter and Venus together indicates people born around this time will have film-star mannerisms, be extremely popular and have considerable artistic ability," he said.
"Jupiter and Mercury together indicates people born around this time will be successful in business, science or as a speaker.
"Mercury and Venus together indicates people born around this time will have considerable artistic and creative ability."
And, he says, it gets better.
"The Venus and Mars together in the sky indicates people born around this time will have a strong sexual magnetism and a strongly sensual nature," he said."

So Douglas no bogans or nerds will be born while these conjunctions are current?

And from Sarah Kulkens:

"Most people will feel that family ties will be the most important part of their lives.
"The effect of this planet line-up has been slowly felt by many over the past few months and by the end of May people should be starting to slowly feel better."

So Sarah, placing the emotional and physical needs of ones family is something that you can "slowly feel better" from at the end of the month when the conjunctions are over.

Your 8c a day ...

Bravo Fred -- as always!

Best,

Les D
Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Les, the government is talking about education and being a smart country, and then you see this garbage being sprouted on the ABC
Talk about dumbing down the populous
Cheers
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
avandonk
avandonk

Years ago when computers were new and planetarium programs fairly basic I used to ask people what was their birthdate and time and then produce a map where the Sun was at that exact time and place of birth.

Everyone's starsign was wrong of course due to two thousand years of precession. The sad thing was they thought they had been looking at the wrong horoscope!

Even pointing out that these so called astrologers do not know anything about Astronomy did not deter them.

My theory is the ancient Astronomers were fooling their kings or benefactors by claiming they could fortell the future. It was all about continued funding for their obsession!

The scam is still being used today.

Bert
Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
My theory is the ancient Astronomers were fooling their kings or benefactors by claiming they could fortell the future. It was all about continued funding for their obsession!
...or being allowed to live.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM
PeterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
. It was all about continued funding for their obsession!

Bert
I like that idea.
What a way to fund an obsession.... an 18inch that would suit me fine.
And all from a cup with tea leafs or dodgy chart. Could I sell my soul and cash in on this, hmmmmm

PeterM
Old 13-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

It's like "The Enlightenment" never happend.

It wouldn't be so bad if these people were without influence, but one of our local council members IS an Astrologer.
Not a very good one, mind, as she didn't see our road being flooded or the bridge collapsing!
Old 13-05-2011, 01:34 AM
scopemankit (Chris)
just build it!

They are nearly the same.

One looks up and back in time, the other looks up and forward in time!
Old 13-05-2011, 06:44 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

but only one will charge you $4.95/min to tell you about it.
Old 13-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Barrykgerdes

To be an astronomer you need to have some common sense and a yearn to learn.

To be an astrologer you need to be greedy, dishonest or an ex polititian. Or all three.

Barry

PS sorry for the political reference I just could not resist it