Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-11-2016, 10:01 PM
icanfly77 (David)

Christmas Creek QLD scan you see Milky Way?

Hey all,

Since I learnt you can see bits of the milky way in the sky about 2 hours from city lights I have been obsessed with doing it (I thought you had to go the outback far far away to see it)

So I am based in Brisbane and looking to go camping when its going to be a new moon so more chance of seeing it.. Looking at areas like Christmas Creek

Can anyone who has been there say if you can see the milky way in the sky from here? It seems to be far enough away from major lights etc..

I have never photographed astronomy before but I will take a crack at it with my DLSR etc but I am more interested in being able to see something with the naked eyes as well as being able to see a lot more stars than usual

If not any more recommendations around the general area 2-3 hours from Brissie?

Ta
Old 24-11-2016, 01:06 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi David

You could definitely see the Milky way from horizon to horizon from XMAS creek - well, from mountain to mountain at least

If you're going soon you'll be looking at the summer milky way however - the winter months is when Scorpio etc in the central milky way are overhead.
Old 24-11-2016, 01:09 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanfly77 View Post
Hey all,

Since I learnt you can see bits of the milky way in the sky about 2 hours from city lights I have been obsessed with doing it (I thought you had to go the outback far far away to see it)

So I am based in Brisbane and looking to go camping when its going to be a new moon so more chance of seeing it.. Looking at areas like Christmas Creek

Can anyone who has been there say if you can see the milky way in the sky from here? It seems to be far enough away from major lights etc..

I have never photographed astronomy before but I will take a crack at it with my DLSR etc but I am more interested in being able to see something with the naked eyes as well as being able to see a lot more stars than usual

If not any more recommendations around the general area 2-3 hours from Brissie?

Ta
If it is the Milky Way Galaxy around Sagittarius you are interested in, then you have missed the boat as it is now setting just after Sunset.
You should have no problem seeing a reasonably dark sky from Christmas Creek area.
Cheers
PS go along to one of the astronomical clubs/societies which have their dark sky nights closest to full moon.
Look up BAS,SAS SEQAS, in the phone book or on line for contacts etc.
Old 25-11-2016, 01:07 PM
icanfly77 (David)

Thanks all for your info!