Old 29-12-2016, 10:08 AM
clive milne

Baader Morpheus

Just wondering if anyone has used these eyepieces yet?

Curious to know whether they would be suitable for using with glasses in a bino-viewer?

cheers,
~c
Old 30-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Mamba (David)

Morpheus

Hello Clive,
I have the 9 and 12.5mm Morpheus eyepieces. I wear glasses but not for observing however Baarder claim 21 and 20mm eye relief respectively so they should be good for spectical wearers. A further point in their favour is that with the standard rubber eye guard turned down the glass of the eyepiece is very close to the top of the eyepiece so no wasted eye relief, they also come with a pair of winged eye guards and a gimmicky holder. As has been said before the standard rubber guard is pretty flimsy.
The maximum diameter of the knurled rubber casing is 55.5mm in both sizes so should allow bino use. The Morpheus is a dual 1 1/4 and 2 inch design which if using the 1 1/4 which most binos do it will result in a longer light path. I do have WO binos and will try one of the Morpheus in them to see if it will come to focus, I am using a 120mm f7.5 refractor.
I am loath to comment on the quality of the views produced by these eyepieces given that I am 70 years of age and the eyes equally ancient however for my 70th birthday my family bought me some of the Pentax XWs during the feeding frenzy earlier this year and I am unable to choose between the two,but I always know which is which due to the remarkable almost floating effect afforded by the Morpheus. I would say that for the ordinary Joe they are equal to the XWs
Mamba
Old 30-12-2016, 04:55 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Clive,
A question I have thought about too for nearly a year. I have 4 Morpheus eyepieces 6.5 9 12.5 and 14 and love em for mono. 18mm Orthos in my WO's has been my fav pair for a few years. I haven't done a direct comparo...memory only...but the M's are much the same as XW's of similiar fl, which I sold about three years ago. The M's are very immersive...like the RKE 28 thing so are one up one the XW's IMO and they don't stink of rubber either.

Gonna send David a PM seeing as we are both in the astronomical hell of Melbourne, and get the 12.5's together.

Matt
Old 12-01-2017, 09:11 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Finally got together with David to try the 12.5mm Morphi out. Neither of us wear glasses.

Test was done on a bright and hazy Melbourne morning. No problems with IPD and nose room...plenty of space. Easy to merge the image too. All the Morpheus eyepieces all use the same width barrel and are light weight enough to use in pairs.

Good with glasses??? Umm probably

Long Pern make LER eyepiece's that Andrews sell for around $80 each....same as Orion LER, WO Planetary etc for another cheaper choice. Less AFOV which might be a good thing, see Don P's reply on Wrens thread.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4631.jpg)
105.6 KB43 views
Old 12-01-2017, 12:07 PM
clive milne

David... Matt,

Thankyou both for your thoughts,

best ~c