Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-06-2020, 08:44 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Lagoon hogoblin

The lagoon HOGOB again with the darks corrected and DS stack system adjusted. The advantage of being able to cool to the correct temperature later. Also cropped out the awful tilt. It seems that some of the DSS stack settings do not work so well with this kind of data. Median stacking settings and background adjustments only here.

The darks were only part of the problem of how they are applied and the frames stacked led to way too much Ha red. Impossible to balance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (5A0168C3-F143-4534-8AF7-5105BC95D306.jpg)
145.3 KB54 views
Old 24-06-2020, 09:02 AM
assbutt94

The color balance doesnt seem to have too much red to me, the background either side of the nebula almost has a little bit too much red missing to my (boilermaker) eyes.
Have you applied any sharpening to your image? You might be able to apply some more to sharpen up the detail a bit, a few of m8s bok globules that youve captured might pop out a bit more too. Well done in eitger case
Old 24-06-2020, 08:52 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks Nathan. I have not applied sharpening. I have not used that yet . You are correct that the image could be sharper with more contrast.

Minimal processing in Nebulosity 4 and a little luminance noise reduction in PS as i have other mechanical problems to sort out with tilt and so on.

The red is toned down a lot in the this one compared to earlier attempts as I had the processing a little too complex and the core was obscured by Ha explosion.
Old 24-06-2020, 09:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well resolved with tight stars.
Old 24-06-2020, 09:46 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks Marc. I see you have spotted the Nebulosity 4 morphological Star tightening. A shame it can cannot automatically make all the stars round. Wish i could take some credit for the Ha stars generally but not sure that they would not look better with more RGB colour
Old 25-06-2020, 01:05 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Nice Lagoon Ray. I think DSS is better suited to RGB stuff but I could be wrong. There was an older version that didn't play nice with DSLR data, but it was fixed quite a few versions ago.
Old 25-06-2020, 04:36 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I did stack this in DSS but the first version used sigma values throughout which seemed to add intensity . These are narrow band plus mono RGB . The earlier Triffid was a colour camera. This version uses only median values and adaptive final combination of Ha Oiii R G and B

Interestingly I tried this data in a trial version of Astropixel which has a setting for HORGB and the result was very similar to this so they are using automated versions of a similar Nebulosity 4 approach. Clever Netherlanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Nice Lagoon Ray. I think DSS is better suited to RGB stuff but I could be wrong. There was an older version that didn't play nice with DSLR data, but it was fixed quite a few versions ago.
Old 25-06-2020, 04:55 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks for the comments and encouragement
Old 25-06-2020, 05:12 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
I did stack this in DSS but the first version used sigma values throughout which seemed to add intensity . These are narrow band plus mono RGB . The earlier Triffid was a colour camera. This version uses only median values and adaptive final combination of Ha Oiii R G and B

Interestingly I tried this data in a trial version of Astropixel which has a setting for HORGB and the result was very similar to this so they are using automated versions of a similar Nebulosity 4 approach. Clever Netherlanders.
Interesting that they've found a way to automate it. It must speed up the process quite a bit. I've never used those programs and I don't have much experience with narrowband so I'll leave it at that. I do plan to branch out to other software most likely StarTools or PixInsight but not until I own a true astro cam. There's enough to learn as it is and when I finally do get an astro cam, It'll be like starting all over again.