Old 17-09-2019, 12:02 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

New old camera

Just bought a new old camera to try some shots with

My first real camera was a Praktica Super TL, just bought one from Ebay again, if working, Ill keep it, add a T2 mount and if we ever get a Moon here fill with HP4 or FP4 and try it, develop and scan in

Using this great thing I always tell people to download

http://www.mikeoates.org/mas/projects/calc/
Old 17-09-2019, 06:43 AM
Wavytone

I know where there’s a nice condition black Pentax ME super II with 28-70 and motor drive... that might be a bit more fun Jeremy...
Old 17-09-2019, 08:11 AM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Just bought a new old camera to try some shots with

My first real camera was a Praktica Super TL, just bought one from Ebay again, if working, Ill keep it, add a T2 mount and if we ever get a Moon here fill with HP4 or FP4 and try it, develop and scan in
Back when I bought my 35mm SLR in late 1984, a ZENIT 12XP, the Praktica Super TL had been retired for several years by then, and the MTL 3 was their current model.

For beginners to 35mm SLR photography at the time, folks were pointed to the Zenit, the Praktica MTL 3, or the Pentax K 1000.
I've never thought about attempting to do film astrophotography using the Zenit. Camera body weight is the issue. The camera body is 668g / 23.56oz.

When I hear the term 'T2' in relation to photographic equipment, what immediately comes to my mind is the Tamron Adaptall T2 mounts and lenses.

I still have the Zenit, and all it needs is a pair of new LR44 batteries to bring the meter back up. Not that it needs the meter working, to be able to be used.

Quote:
Using this great thing I always tell people to download
http://www.mikeoates.org/mas/projects/calc/
I'll have a look at that program. Thanks for the link Jeremy.
Old 17-09-2019, 10:07 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
Back when I bought my 35mm SLR in late 1984, a ZENIT 12XP, the Praktica Super TL had been retired for several years by then, and the MTL 3 was their current model.

For beginners to 35mm SLR photography at the time, folks were pointed to the Zenit, the Praktica MTL 3, or the Pentax K 1000.
I've never thought about attempting to do film astrophotography using the Zenit. Camera body weight is the issue. The camera body is 668g / 23.56oz.

When I hear the term 'T2' in relation to photographic equipment, what immediately comes to my mind is the Tamron Adaptall T2 mounts and lenses.

I still have the Zenit, and all it needs is a pair of new LR44 batteries to bring the meter back up. Not that it needs the meter working, to be able to be used.

I'll have a look at that program. Thanks for the link Jeremy.
I have several Soviet cameras - all are rugged, dependable and take superb photos so long as you understand real photography - which we did back then Out of the couple I have, the FED is my favourite (the Leicaski )

My first SLR was a Minolta, and that was a VERY dependable camera. A mate borrowed it once, and broke it by forcing the winder against the clutch - wasn't worth repairing it

Last edited by LewisM; 19-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 17-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Still have my 1975 Olympus OM1 in a box in the bottom of a cupboard. Last used, for astro or any photography in 2008, by then it was getting harder to find anyone to develop the film so reluctantly turned to digital and haven't looked back. So all the lens weren't wasted , I did get adapters to fit the Zuiko and Tamrons to my Canons and they work quite well.
Wouldn't want to go back either, results are much easier and quicker to obtain with more modern gear than with the old chemically coated film.
Old 17-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

My son takes beautiful colour and BW images with my old Pentax kx, k1000 and his mamiya 645. The colour is just stunning. I have thought of trying the 645 on a Tak fs102 as set out in the manual but the cost of colour film and prints is a worry. Perhaps with the calculator I could give it a try at the end of a roll or just process my own BW.