Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-08-2015, 09:09 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

The best view ever ...

Went away chasing Rally cars over the weekend, down to a little east coastal town called Whitianga. We wanted to extend our stay an extra night Sunday but our apartment was prior booked so they upgraded us from our 2nd floor apartment to the 3rd floor penthouse at the same price.
Walked and spotted a cheap 60700 refractor setup near a front window, looking eastwards out over the bay. Classic nameless chinese white OTA and some .965 EPs in the tray. Had a wee play with it later and was not impressed, dirty EPs and wobbly mount.
But ...!!
Next morning was a stunner sunrise, bit misty, orangey pink skies, dark silhouetted headlands and shiny water. I was taking a few pix to capture all the colours when my wife said she was sure she could see Venus just above the headland.
Better check this out, where's the wee 60700 scope. Pointed it up at the bright object in the sky and Wow !! I was rewarded with the sharpest view of a thin Venus crescent I have ever seen. H12.5mm EP was excellent despite the bits of dirt so I tried the SR4mm and it was still a great view, absolutely brilliant.
At home back in Auckland all my Venus viewing has always been jiggly, blurred, indistinct blob but in the clear still air ( through a window glass as well !! ) it was just stunning. Even Liz said it looked just like a crescent moon.
I guess the moral of the story is under the right circumstances even the smallest scope can be a revelation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (VenusWhitianga.jpg)
161.6 KB70 views

Last edited by ZeroID; 25-08-2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 26-08-2015, 10:24 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Nice story!
Old 26-08-2015, 11:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for sharing Brent.
Your story made me recall first time I observed Venus.
It was thru 150 x 1200 refractor.
I was really surprised to see a cresent.. I had no Idea as I expected a disk.
Old 26-08-2015, 12:48 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Brent, nice report. You might want to consider some daytime viewing of Venus. Views are stunning no matter what aperture you use, especially at the current phase. Should work even from Auckland when she's riding nice and high. I watched the recent inferior conjunction mid afternoon from Franz Josef through the 8" dob. Not my preference (the frac would have been better) but worked very well, partly because it wasn't a particularly close conjunction this time. Views were crisp.
Old 27-08-2015, 05:40 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Cheers guys, 4mm in a 700 = 175X a most unexpected view !!

> Mirko , hadn't thought of that one. Might give it a go when I get a chance. My only evening Venus views are low in the West as I have no eastern horizon from home. Turbulence is rampant over the roofs.
Old 27-08-2015, 09:03 AM
MichaelSW (Michael)

Good story and photo, Brent.

Met A person recently seeking help with a newly inherited reflector telescope - something possibly broken / wrong. The issue - Venus just looked like a light with someone holding their thumb over most of it.

Mentioned about phases. Then "WOW".