Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2015, 09:01 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Anyone tried EnChroma colour-blindness glasses?

(Note: this is a re-post of a thread I started recently on Whirlpool, but I figured I might get some informed comment here, given that we all have an interest in optics. )

I'm severely Red-Green Colour Blind (technically, Deuteranomaly). I'm wondering whether anyone has first-hand experience with the EnChroma glasses which are claimed to boost colour perception for many people who suffer from colour blindness. (See http://enchroma.com/ )

There does seem to be some real science behind these glasses, which differentiates them from other tinted sunglasses which have been promoted as "cures" for colour blindness – e.g. see:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...954456/?no-ist

The theory is that for people with normal vision, the Red receptors in the eye respond strongly to red, but only moderately to red-green colours, while the Green receptors respond strongly to green, but only moderately to red-green colours. For people with Red-Green colour blindness (which is my problem), the red and green receptors in the eye overlap in their colour reception, and both respond strongly to similar wavelengths in the red-green range, so they don't differentiate between red and green as well as a normal eye.

The EnChroma lenses effectively transmit red and green, but largely block the intermediate red-green colours, so the red receptors will be triggered strongly by red but not by red-green (which are blocked by the lenses), while the green receptors will be triggered by green but not red-green.

Where these glasses differ from other products that I have seen before is that these use narrow band-pass "notch" filters to cut out a very tightly defined band of red-green, whereas the more common type use pigmented dye filters, which filter out a wider and less clearly defined band of colours. (They also have a "notch" for blue-green, which could be beneficial for some forms of colour-blindness, but is probably not so important for me.)
http://enchroma.com/technology/
(Hopefully that differentiation will make some sense to some IIS participants.)

I realise there are no guarantees for any individual, but by their accounts (and a bit of Googling), it seems there is a good chance that I would gain significant benefit from wearing them – but there is also a chance that I would get little or no benefit.

Or am I just wanting to believe another snake-oil salesman?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually tried them.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:16 PM
gary

Hi Julian,

I don't have anomalous trichromacy and have never tried these glasses,
so I can't be of any help.

What I can say though is human color perception is extremely complex
and still not completely understood.

Since many people are familiar with how a combination of RGB detectors
in a digital camera work and they have learnt of L, M & S cone receptors
in the eye, they often mistakenly believe that the way humans perceive
color is somewhat analogous to how digital cameras, TV monitors and
colour film works.

We know from many different types of experiments that the way humans
process and perceive different colors is very different to how these
man-made technologies work.

If human color perception was based on a simple RGB model like that in
a digital camera, then there are a series of wonderful experiments that
provide counterintuitive results and break that model.

For example, consider the work of Edwin Land, of Polaroid fame, and John
McCann in the 60's and 70's. Two of the great pioneers of modern
colour theory.

In one experiment they found if you illuminated a scene with
a narrow band source at 550nm and at a level just enough to trigger
the rods but not the cones, and you also illuminated the same scene
with a narrow band source at 656nm at a level enough to stimulate the
long wavelength cones but not the middle wave length cones, then
test subjects would perceive the scene with a remarkable range of
color including reds, yellows, browns, blue-greens, grays and blacks.

In classical color theory as many of us were taught in science class at
school, the rods aren't supposed to be involved in color perception at all.

They are what amateur astronomers do most of their seeing in low light conditions with.

The same classical theory would tell us that at 656nm, with only the
long wave length cones firing, the scene would be predominantly in
shades of red.

So how do humans manage to perceive this surprisingly large range
of colors under such limited stimulus? The answer is complex and we
do know a large part of it takes place at the back of the head in the
visual cortex. It appears that we do operations as complex as fast
fourier transforms in that part of the brain.

The misconceptions of how we perceive colour is exacerbated by when
some refer to the cones as red, blue and green receptors.

Since modern color perception theory is more advanced than the simple
RGB model many of us were taught in school, the professional literature
will more often refer to them a long (L), medium or middle (M) and short
(S) wavelength receptors. This then decouples the notion of some
particular range of color being directly associated with one type
of receptor.

So when you ask does this particular eye glass product work, or is it just snake oil, I don't know.

What I do know is that there is sufficient scope in the complexities
of human color perception borne out various experiments that make
nonsense of what many of us were taught in school that I would
not dismiss the product without a deeper investigation.

It would be great if you could try a pair on.

Good luck!

Best Regards

Gary
Old 11-08-2015, 01:27 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
It would be great if you could try a pair on.
I'm dropping plenty of hints at home about what I want for Christmas!

(I just hope they don't end up as nothing more than the most expensive sunglasses that I've ever owned - they're not even photo-chromic or polarised, for goodness' sake!)
Old 11-08-2015, 04:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Julianh
Any idea of how much a pair cost?
I have the red green problem so I would not mind trying.
After reading Garys it would be surprising if they work unless they have lucked out.
I do seem to have an ability to notice detail over those with no colors blindness but I can't be sure, but over the years I have had situation where this seems the way it may be for me.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:32 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Any idea of how much a pair cost?
US$360 to US$440 a pair (plus postage to Australia):
http://enchroma.com/shop/

It would be an expensive experiment if they don't work, but if they DO work, I would consider it to be money well spent.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a pair - but I'd like to hear some unsolicited testimonials first if possible. If I buy a pair and they don't work for me, I'll try them with a few people around the office, and / or see what I can get for them on eBay.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:54 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Mmmm I fold.
I would need bi vocals.
It held me back in astro photography otherwise no worries
Old 14-08-2015, 10:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I just remembered a problem...I can't tell the difference between a green snake and a brown snake.
Old 18-08-2015, 10:11 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Article on Enchroma, looks promising.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...l-glasses.html
Old 18-08-2015, 10:29 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Well - my none-too-subtle hints appear to have done the trick - I believe a pair are on the way to me for my birthday!

I'll report back here when they arrive in a few weeks time, hopefully.
Old 18-08-2015, 05:59 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
Well - my none-too-subtle hints appear to have done the trick - I believe a pair are on the way to me for my birthday!

I'll report back here when they arrive in a few weeks time, hopefully.
Hi Julian,

The true price of those glasses may only become evident when the
giver expresses what their birthday wish is.

I hope they increase your perceived gamut of colours and in particular
help with the red/green differential.

We look forward to your report.
Old 19-08-2015, 05:47 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Fingers crossed for you ...
Old 19-08-2015, 11:42 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Wishing you a rainbow of colours.
Old 20-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Danfox (Danielle)

Hi Julian,
I just ordered a pair for my son yesterday. Costing a fortune with postage and the Australian dollar being so shocking currently. They have emailed to say there my be an extra import charge also! I hope they work! Will let you know when they arrive!
Danielle
Old 25-08-2015, 08:56 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

"First Light" Report - WOW!!!

My pair arrived in Brisbane yesterday, less than a week after ordering.

So - do they work?

In a word: YES!

They're quite dark (just 14% overall transmission), so they're intended for full daylight - not suited for indoor use. (EnChroma also make an intermediate tint sunglass lens, and a lens designed for indoor / computer screen use.) In muted light this morning (7:30 am, a bit of light cloud / mist), the effect was obvious - a lot more contrast and definition between various shades of green and red in the garden.

But as the sun broke through - WOW!

Colours became quite eye-popping - our dry winter lawn became a vivid green, pastel flowers that always faded into the background suddenly stood out ...

My partner and daughter (both with normal vision) tried them on, and were also somewhat taken aback by the sudden vividness of everything they saw, so the effect is real, not placebo.

The most dramatic difference was driving in to work - so, green traffic lights are actually green? Who knew?!

(Green traffic lights have always looked almost white to my eye, with only the slightest hint of colour, but now they are bright green. Also, for the first time ever, red traffic lights are brighter than amber traffic lights, whereas the amber has always been quite a bit brighter than the red to my eye.)

Some unexpected effects - they can give a strong green cast to some (but not all) digital displays - my Samsung SmartWatch is now green when it should be white, and there's an LED display board outside the Convention Centre which is now green, but my TV looked pretty normal (but a bit dark!), and as I sit at my computer typing this reply, the white is just white. I guess it depends on the exact colour spectrum of the RGB LEDs used.

I'll by trying to catch a spectrum tonight using my Public Lab Spectrometer http://publiclab.org/wiki/spectrometer - I'm expecting to pick up a couple of strong "notches" in the white light spectrum.

If there are any colour-blind IIS members in Brisbane who would like to take a look, drop me a line - I work at South Brisbane, so should be able to arrange a lunch-time meet-up in the City or South Bank. (I'll be easy to spot - I'll be the guy with the cool shades examining the flower beds closely!)
Old 25-08-2015, 09:33 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
My pair arrived in Brisbane yesterday, less than a week after ordering.

So - do they work?

In a word: YES!

They're quite dark (just 14% overall transmission), so they're intended for full daylight - not suited for indoor use. (EnChroma also make an intermediate tint sunglass lens, and a lens designed for indoor / computer screen use.) In muted light this morning (7:30 am, a bit of light cloud / mist), the effect was obvious - a lot more contrast and definition between various shades of green and red in the garden.

But as the sun broke through - WOW!

Colours became quite eye-popping - our dry winter lawn became a vivid green, pastel flowers that always faded into the background suddenly stood out ...

My partner and daughter (both with normal vision) tried them on, and were also somewhat taken aback by the sudden vividness of everything they saw, so the effect is real, not placebo.

The most dramatic difference was driving in to work - so, green traffic lights are actually green? Who knew?!

(Green traffic lights have always looked almost white to my eye, with only the slightest hint of colour, but now they are bright green. Also, for the first time ever, red traffic lights are brighter than amber traffic lights, whereas the amber has always been quite a bit brighter than the red to my eye.)

Some unexpected effects - they can give a strong green cast to some (but not all) digital displays - my Samsung SmartWatch is now green when it should be white, and there's an LED display board outside the Convention Centre which is now green, but my TV looked pretty normal (but a bit dark!), and as I sit at my computer typing this reply, the white is just white. I guess it depends on the exact colour spectrum of the RGB LEDs used.

I'll by trying to catch a spectrum tonight using my Public Lab Spectrometer http://publiclab.org/wiki/spectrometer - I'm expecting to pick up a couple of strong "notches" in the white light spectrum.

If there are any colour-blind IIS members in Brisbane who would like to take a look, drop me a line - I work at South Brisbane, so should be able to arrange a lunch-time meet-up in the City or South Bank. (I'll be easy to spot - I'll be the guy with the cool shades examining the flower beds closely!)
Hey Julian,

Happy to hear the investment has worked out
Must be like seeing things for the first time again.
14% transmission doesn't sound like much at all.

All the best,

Russ
Old 25-08-2015, 10:02 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Happy to hear the investment has worked out
Must be like seeing things for the first time again.
Yes - it really is quite startling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
14% transmission doesn't sound like much at all.
14% transmission is pretty typical for a sunglass lens designed for full sunlight. E.g. Oakley provide a range of tints from 9% to 11% for "Extremely bright light", while 13% to 22% are rated for "Medium to bright light".
http://www.evo.com/oakley-sunglasses...int-guide.aspx

EnChroma has three shades: 14% for "strong daylight", 25% for "medium-to-low light outdoor conditions" and brightly-lit indoor use, and 65% for general indoor / computer use. The 14% has the strongest colour-correcting effect, which is why I chose it
http://enchroma.com/cx-lens-guide/
Old 25-08-2015, 11:18 AM
gary

Hi Julian,

That's wonderful!

It would be interesting to hear of the relative improvement in
performing one of those Ishihara tests.

http://enchroma.com/test-150401.2/#&ui-state=dialog

Enjoy your day.
Old 25-08-2015, 12:10 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post

It would be interesting to hear of the relative improvement in
performing one of those Ishihara tests.
I've tried a couple of the on-line Ishihara tests with and without the glasses. The results were modest at best, and inconclusive, if I'm honest - some numbers / patterns became slightly more discernible with the glasses, but most stayed pretty much the same. According to EnChroma, this is to be expected:

I took the test with the glasses: why didn’t my score improve?
Reducing the overall light level makes color vision tests more difficult. The EnChroma sunglass lens is generally considered too dark for use with a computer display, so one should not necessarily see an improvement in test score with the eyewear. When used outside in bright daylight, the reduced brightness does not have this potentially negative impact on color perception.

http://enchroma.com/faq/

It would be interesting to do a proper controlled Ishihara test using accurately printed samples under strong controlled light.

Note that a computer screen doesn't generate a true "white light" spectrum, being made up of only RGB pixels, so the rendering of the Ishihara tests can look subtly different on two different screens. The colour accuracy of digital screens varies depending on the filter pigments, screen technology (LED vs LED-backlit LCD vs OLED, etc). I suspect this is why some digital screens get a distinct green cast when viewed through these glasses, while others stay white.

If two Ishihara dots have almost the same true overall colour, but differ because one is missing a particular spectral element that my eye is not very sensitive to, then there would be no effective difference when viewed with or without the glasses. The glasses only change the perceived colour when they filter out a set of wavelengths that both the Red and Green receptors respond roughly equally to. By blocking that wavelength, the Red and Green receptors now get distinctly different filtered signals, instead of both being "swamped" by the intermediate "Red-Green" wavelengths.

As an extreme example, consider a screen where the Green pixels are all dead. White would be rendered exactly the same as Magenta (M = B + R), and putting on a pair of glasses which transmit 100% of Red and Blue but totally block the Green wouldn't help at all - filtering out a colour which isn't present in the original signal doesn't change the transmitted signal.
Old 25-08-2015, 08:11 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

EnChroma spectroscopy

I've taken a couple of spectroscopy images of the light from a halogen bulb as viewed direct, through a pair of normal (polarised) brown-tinted sunglasses, and through the EnChroma Cx 15 lenses.

The normal sunglasses suppress light more or less uniformly across all wavelengths, whereas the EnChroma glasses have two very distinct bands where virtually all light is blocked out - see attached images.

I've also shot a short video - you should have no trouble working out when the normal sunglasses and the EnChroma lenses come between the light and the spectroscope.
https://youtu.be/Df_b7dJ4f5s
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Direct Halogen Light.jpg)
69.7 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (Normal Sunglasses.jpg)
63.5 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (EnChroma Cx 15.jpg)
68.9 KB48 views