Old 23-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

solar prominence sketches

Here are some trials of sketching solar proms using coloured pencil and black paper. I think I still have to work out how to get the arc of the sun in proportion to the proms. The first sketch is at 66x and show a filament - some ideas about how to do this would be appreciated - and the arc looks at lower mag than the second, done at 46x.

I tried doing the filament by using graphite over the orange pencil, but his just looked shiny. I then went over it with black which helped. As I said, suggestions would be received with gratitude.

Both done through ED80 with 50mm Lunt Ha filter at 0.7 Angstrom
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (22-1-11 2scaled.JPG)
17.5 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (23-1-11 2scaled.JPG)
10.8 KB28 views
Old 23-01-2011, 10:36 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Hi Patrick.

The coloured pencils on black look very effective, I think you are onto something there. Looks like a very nice sunspot in the first one. Was that intentional?

When placing features I try to image a grid in the EP and then on the paper. Even if only quarters this helps. I do wonder if it would help to do some practice sketches on graph paper until you can do it on a blank sheet.

Another alternative would be a clear sheet with a grid on it which you can use to line things up, but then take away to draw.
Old 24-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Michael,

It was actually a filament that I was trying to capture. There were a few nice sun spots, but it was so hot I thought I'd just focus on trying to get the proms and filaments right. The challenge with the filament is that it's still orange, but not as bright as the disc. A lot of experimenting yet to get that right.

The idea of practicing on graph paper is a good one. I'll give it a go. Looks like another trip to the stationers.
Old 24-01-2011, 09:06 PM
desler

Keep it up Patrick, love it!

Darren
Old 24-01-2011, 09:22 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Paddy, mate, sensational!

Absolutely brilliant work.

The only tip I can give is to keep going. Experience is now your best "teacher". Experience will ultimately give you the touch in handleing the pencils. Just don't smudge. Please. The paper's texture here gives the sketch a certain 'energy of movement'.

If you want, maybe keep sharpening the pencil to maintain its 'edge'. Rolling/rubbing the lead on fine sandpaper reduces the risk of breaking the lead. A black charcoal pencil will give you a non-shiny effect. It is as black as the inside of a cat.

ASOD candidate here, I reckon, .

I'm overjoyed at the result! Really, really good. Keep at it.

I've added a pic of what I've done to an eyepiece to give me a grid pattern. The optic fiber was placed at the EPs focus/field stop, with epoxy glue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (grid field stop pattern 002.jpg)
49.0 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (grid field stop pattern 003.jpg)
194.9 KB20 views
Old 24-01-2011, 09:29 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Patrick, that is one of the reasons I gave up on using black paper years ago. Very hard to get a soft or faint look.
It is very hard to get shadings right.

I ended up going back to white art paper and lead pencils, then invert in PhotoShop.
Shading is an art form in itself but can be achieved fairly quickly.But you may prefer to work with black paper.
Everyone is different and will eventually discover 'their own way'

I can't see any problem in your sketches above, but I can't compare to the actual image you saw. Only you saw it and know how the sketch should look.

They look good to me
Old 24-01-2011, 10:20 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Thanks Michael,

It was actually a filament that I was trying to capture. There were a few nice sun spots, but it was so hot I thought I'd just focus on trying to get the proms and filaments right. The challenge with the filament is that it's still orange, but not as bright as the disc. A lot of experimenting yet to get that right.

The idea of practicing on graph paper is a good one. I'll give it a go. Looks like another trip to the stationers.
I do get my solar terminology mixed up sometimes.
Old 25-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Darren, Alex and Ken. I feel very encouraged. I find it interesting how different people like to do this in different ways and come up with great results. So much to learn.

Thanks for encouraging me to submit to ASOD Alex - I might have a bit of a play with the first one to get the scale right before I send it in.