Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Haloes around bright stars

I was imaging a bright star last night, using Astronomik LRGB filters, and have noted that the G & B images have fairly strong haloes... L & R are unaffected.. This was through the f/4 newt, Baader MPCC before the filters, Atik 428EX CCD.
Does anyone else see this? Is there a fault/problem??

First image is the R frame, then G then B
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (no-halo-R.jpg)
100.5 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (halo-G.jpg)
122.2 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (halo-B.jpg)
159.9 KB61 views
Old 05-12-2013, 12:19 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Lee, the answer is yes, I have - I assume you mean their Series 2c filters.

I have had a lengthy exchange with Astronomik about exactly this problem. And in the end, they approved a return and refund which has now been processed by OPT without any argument.

I have also recently noted that strong halos were also forming around a Baader OIII filtered image of bright stars - but not Ha or SII. The thing they had in common was the camera. I haven't spoken with Baader about their filter but Astronomik have suggested strongly that the problem is one of reflections and that the cause lies as much with their filter as with the coating on the front window of the camera. Same manufacturer as yours by the way but different camera.

Peter
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Hi Lee. I have a similar setup with Astronomik filters - no halos at all with RGB. Had one slight halo around a very bright star with an Astronomik Ha filter, but nothing more than a very minor cosmetic problem - had to look hard to pick it.

Maybe there are batch problems with the filters if you and Peter have had issues?

Last edited by Shiraz; 05-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Lee, the answer is yes, I have - I assume you mean their Series 2c filters.

I have had a lengthy exchange with Astronomik about exactly this problem. And in the end, they approved a return and refund which has now been processed by OPT without any argument.

I have also recently noted that strong halos were also forming around a Baader OIII filtered image of bright stars - but not Ha or SII. The thing they had in common was the camera. I haven't spoken with Baader about their filter but Astronomik have suggested strongly that the problem is one of reflections and that the cause lies as much with their filter as with the coating on the front window of the camera. Same manufacturer as yours by the way but different camera.
Yes, series 2c, new this year...
Was your problem only with green and blue also??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
Hi Lee. I have a similar setup with Astronomik filters - no halos at all with RGB. Had one slight halo around a very bright star with an Astronomik Ha filter, but nothing more than a very minor cosmetic problem - had to look hard to pick it.

Maybe there are batch problem with the filters if you and Peter have had problems?
I've got an old Ha filter, that exhibits halos, I was going to replace it sooner or later.... I don't find the halo that bad to be honest, I don't do much RGB in any case! I do like having all the same make filters for their par-focality....

Lee
Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Yes, series 2c, new this year...
Was your problem only with green and blue also??

I've got an old Ha filter, that exhibits halos, I was going to replace it sooner or later.... I don't find the halo that bad to be honest, I don't do much RGB in any case! I do like having all the same make filters for their par-focality....

Lee
Another point worth mentioning is that my setup that produced thes halos is working at between F3.9 and 5.3 - the halos with the G and B were at 3.9 (i.e. I was using a Takahashi .73 reducer. I had heard that the faster the scope the more prone to reflection issues.

Peter