Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 24-01-2014, 06:57 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Niko
As I assume it is my old scope that is being talked about, I did have an Orion Stratus 8mm, and I was told that it was a copy of the Hyperion. I never liked it in that scope, stars were always blurry blobs. Mind you I wasn't all that happy with the 7mm T6 Nagler I bought later but it was much better than the Stratus.
Of course I am unable to offer any insight as to whether a Hyperion is better than the Stratus, only base this on what I was told!

Malcolm
Old 24-01-2014, 10:40 PM
David Niven (David Niven)

The XW is indeed pricey, for beginners, unless you are born with a silver spoon. But the ES 8.8 or the XF8.5 are just a tard more than the Stratus and are better choices.
Old 25-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Fox

Agreed, the Stratus are inferior copies of the LVW's, and IMHO for marginally more cost the ES line are much better than Hyperion/Stratus in terms of performance, construction and value. Fox
Old 26-01-2014, 01:29 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Looks like the 7mm XL is a great match with Newtonians . The best references are those where the EP in question has been used in the scope design you are using, like gb wrote.

Don't dish Hyperions (Stratus - same EP) outright. Like many EPs, they are very scope specific. They are best matched with SCTs, with the only exception being the 5mm which is actually very good in Newts. I'm sure there are better performers in SCTs than these, but they are good value from the used market if the purse strings are tight.
Actually, a good observing friend of mine has a 6" SCT and also owns a 17mm Baader Hyperion and it isn't good in his SCT at all. He can't wait to get rid of it in fact. Beginners wouldn't notice, but experienced observers would.

Getting back to the OP ~ I have owned both the 8mm Hyperion and now own a 7mm Pentax XL, and the 7mm XL is way better all across the board in my fast reflector.